Building 3 more 2 bottom plows this week.  One for dad,  one for a good friend,  and one to sell.

Coming along nicely.

Last pics are the first one I built. 

20201112_175932.jpg

20201112_175908.jpg

20201112_195729.jpg

20201016_123812.jpg

20201016_135056.jpg

• Like 7

One 95% done....

Dad gets number 502.....(501 is reserved for me :) )

20201113_192653.thumb.jpg.3b3025780854726024bc90408f0cb591.jpg

20201113_173314.jpg

20201113_173349.jpg

• Like 4

Do the tractors have enough hydraulic capacity to lift the 3pt, tail wheel, and run the power steering all together at a headland?

They look awesome.  How hard do they pull?

Plenty of hyd. power.  Power steering has a priority valve, 3 pt easily lifts front, Cub Cadet 149 lift cylinder easily lifts tail wheel a few seconds later.  About 3 gpm at 700-900#.

I pull mine, 2ea 10" bottoms, at an honest 5-6" deep (deeper in light soil) with my 2072 or 1572, 20 hp Kohler Magnum and turbocharged Kubota D600 respectively.  Both have 26" rear tires.  Traction is usualky the issue, not power.....but, if its hooked up good,, they will make the tractor work for it!  Central IL black dirt will make the tractors work, but its manageable. Actually pulls about like a Brinly 12" at 7"-8" deep for comparison. 

I have to admit, its a lot of fun to take it to shows with plowing fields,  especially behind the turbo diesel.....usually draws a few people over 😁.    "Will it pull it?" And "is that really turbocharged?" Are the most common questions.    ......" yes, yes".........then stick it in the ground, wind up the throttle until the turbo whistles, and turn the dirt (and the exhaust) black!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Second one is always so much easier than the first.  Nice work Steve! 

So..... how much does a 2 bottom IH semi mounted garden tractor plow bring???  You taking orders for the next batch? 

Awesome work as usual Steve, nicely done.  I do like the stamping on them too, very cool.

Just curious, what all are you using to build these?  Mig welder, angle grinder, lots of clamps.  You have a band saw or just use a chop saw?  Ever venture to buy a plasma cutter yet for your projects?  Where did you find enough moldboards at a reasonable price?

Always enjoy the progress pictures, very cool to watch the build happen.

Thanks guys!

Mike,

Miller 210 mig, Hypertherm 45 plasma cutter, Northern Iron cold saw (carbide chop saw), drill press, Milwaukee porta band, several grinders, belt sander, good hole saws, assorted clamps.

My garage last night....and a few before I started....

20201113_182500.jpg

20201111_083521.jpg

20201111_083514.jpg

20201107_111239.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Second one is always so much easier than the first.  Nice work Steve! 

So..... how much does a 2 bottom IH semi mounted garden tractor plow bring???  You taking orders for the next batch? 

Haven't priced the "spare" one yet......it will probably be advertised primed or painted at different price levels once its finished.  There will be 4 figures in the $$$.....

• Like 3

I too wondered how well a 2 bottom plow could be pulled by a cub. Also curious where you are able to find the plow bottoms. 

Those are very nice looking plows, as is everything I've seen on here you have built.

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I too wondered how well a 2 bottom plow could be pulled by a cub. Also curious where you are able to find the plow bottoms. 

Those are very nice looking plows, as is everything I've seen on here you have built.

Thanks!

This video is several years old from a PD in Wisconsin 

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/WAzocNtr_Eg

And one during testing...

20 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Thanks guys!

Mike,

Miller 210 mig, Hypertherm 45 plasma cutter, Northern Iron cold saw (carbide chop saw), drill press, Milwaukee porta band, several grinders, belt sander, good hole saws, assorted clamps.

My garage last night....and a few before I started....

20201113_182500.jpg

20201111_083521.jpg

20201111_083514.jpg

20201107_111239.jpg

Nice!  I like how you are set up for "production line" work, using your work space to its fullest potential.  How do you like the porta band and your Hypetherm?  Do you find the band saw is large enough for the types of projects you have been working (past Cub attachemnts), or you would get something larger if money wasn't an issue because it just doesn't quite do everything you want?  How thick of steel will your Hypertherm cut without leaving a mess of slag to clean up?  Is the companies "ratings" correct from what you have seen so far?

Is it just me, or could you just sit there with a beer and watch Steve work at these all day long....watch a pile of steel grow into a master piece!?? 😎

• Like 1

Mike, 

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, building 3 at a time requires assembly line. Dad was on the saw and drill press, I was laying pieces out and welding.

Don't use the plasma too much, but it will cut 1/2" clean.   To be honest, I need more practice with it.

Portaband......AWESOME, should have bought one years ago. The corded Milwaukee is a horse and cuts anything I put in front of it (if it fits, 4" or so).

Dad and I had a good run for 3 days getting them this far......

• Thanks 1

I haven't picked up a hacksaw all week because of the portaband.........😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Mike, 

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, building 3 at a time requires assembly line. Dad was on the saw and drill press, I was laying pieces out and welding.

Don't use the plasma too much, but it will cut 1/2" clean.   To be honest, I need more practice with it.

Portaband......AWESOME, should have bought one years ago. The corded Milwaukee is a horse and cuts anything I put in front of it (if it fits, 4" or so).

Dad and I had a good run for 3 days getting them this far......

Question about your plasma cutter, if you are making a template to cut from, you make it with plywood for tip to follow or does it have to be made put of thick steel?  Thinking of circles with specific grooves in it or shaped end plates.  Or do you need to cut them free hand and clean up afterwards?

Seen a porta band saw once, thought it was neat idea but didn't know how bulky they were to work with or how precise they could cut.

I'm getting ready to make some thin plywood templates for rolling cutters.....

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

I'm getting ready to make some thin plywood templates for rolling cutters.....

Can't wait to see them and see how they work.  I think we need a play by play of your build here... make it feel like we are all sitting in your shop watching, learning.  I have a beer in the fridge....actually I got another case last week, I likely have enough for everyone, at least for the first round! 😁

Looked at the porta band saw last night on line.  Very neat.  Downfall for me here in Canada, I can buy a stand alone one for about $850 - $900.  They want almost that for the porta band saw. I'm very doubtful I would ever see a need to use the saw anywhere else but in the shop.  Watching a few videos on it, do think they are slick and cut great.  Would be a tough choice for someone who was in the market for one!

So, where did you find the moldboards Steve?  Or you been collecting Brinley plows for the past few years to get enough parts? LOL

Mike,

The cold saw takes the place of the stationery band saw for production cutting.  What's great about the porta band is the ability to trim out little corners, etc.  Rear plow axle was left long.....walk over with the porta band, 30sec. later is the right length.  I even use to to bevel the weld faces on the 1/2" plow beams......beats grinding them.

Bottoms are all Sears bottoms, not Brinly.  Sears look more like an IH high speed bottom, laid back board, and have nice deep suck shares.  Brinly bottoms are abrupt and tall like a stubble bottom.  

I built the prototype with Sears bottoms 5-6 years ago.  Ever since then dad and a friend have been buying them up.  Could probably make the 3 we are doing now and another 3 with what's "in stock" 🤣🤣🤣

Don't go getting too wound up.....I'm a so-so welder at best and get these built with pretty basic tools.  There are many more on here with much better fab skills than me.....for sure. 

Biggest thing about a build like this is an eye for proportion NOT scale.  Any implement built to true scale is not usable.  I'm convinced that some vision for how to use workable materials in a way that mimics the proportional look of the full size implement is the key to getting a "baby" plow, disk, chisel, etc.  That, along with some product research.  These plows have characteristics of a 500, 510, 700, 710.....but even mixed and matched, they look IH for the most part.  These implements are too tall and too long to be "scale", but they have to be to still work......that's why they are FUN.....you can shine up the boards and get them dirty!

I do appreciate the kind words though. 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dave Shepard said:

I have the M18 Fuel Bandsaw. 5x5 throat. 

Correct, the 120AC version is the same.....

How heavy are the porta band saws?  I guess I'm just picturing them as cumbersome??? Again, never really been around them, that's why I'm asking.

So how do you like your Hypertherm?  You say you need practice, that's understandable for anyone - do you regret buying it vs another brand?

All I can say is I enjoy reading about your builds and seeing the pictures of the sheer talent and precision you take in your builds.  Like you say, well thought out for sure!

They are not small,but they are very controllable,  especially compared to a Sawzall. No vibrating everything off the work bench or too fast/slow of speed for the cut......just smooth controllable cuts.   Its heavier than a Sawzall, but worth the weight.

Hypertherm is great, I just need to get better with it.