766 Parts Help

ejb17

I called quite a few of the big name salvage yards looking for an oil pan for my 766 D360 diesel. Not having much luck finding one.

Any other suggestions? I honestly didnt think it would be that big of a deal. The current pan has a large patch welded on it. Its not leaking but I want to make it correct.

1 hour ago, ejb17 said:

I called quite a few of the big name salvage yards looking for an oil pan for my 766 D360 diesel. Not having much luck finding one.

Any other suggestions? I honestly didnt think it would be that big of a deal. The current pan has a large patch welded on it. Its not leaking but I want to make it correct.

I bought a pan in mint shape last year for my 656 off ebay I realize that not all engine parts will be represented I got lucky I guess I live near Abilene Machine tractor/combine salvage yard they might have one 

55 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

886’s with the 360 should be the same. 

You'd think the salvage yards would know that.... one would hope anyway. 

Actually a truck/bus might even be the same.?

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

766/older/rare-ish, so the 22 year old young parts guy on the phone just hears “766” and says “nope, don’t have one”. 

Most of those places have a computer system though, and they are in the business of selling parts.  It's a little different than a dealer who wants to make money selling to guys with big farms and newer equipment.  Salvage yards specialize in old, out of date equipment.  I'm different from a lot of guys though, if I get a guy on the phone who I don't think knows his a$$ from a hole in the ground, I'll ask to talk to someone else, or hang up and call back later.  I've been known to flat tell a guy I want to talk to someone who actually knows something.  I have a hard time believing that out of 3 major salvage yards none of them have an oil pan for a 766/886.  

@ejb17Maybe we need a list of the yards you contacted. 

• Haha 2

A favorite pastime of mine is touring tractor junkyards. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that not all junkyards have their parts on a computer and you have to go there yourself you cannot rely on someone on the other end of the phone to tell you if they have a particular part.

• Like 1

Just now, lorenzo said:

A favorite pastime of mine is touring tractor junkyards. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that not all junkyards have their parts on a computer and you have to go there yourself you cannot rely on someone on the other end of the phone to tell you if they have a particular part.

Very true.  But the big ones do.  Cook Tractor, All States, Worthington all 3 are huge salvage companies with multiple yards.  They are all on computer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

766/older/rare-ish, so the 22 year old young parts guy on the phone just hears “766” and says “nope, don’t have one”. 

The NGPC parts system has an MUO (machine used on) feature that will show what other machines part numbers are used on with a couple of clicks.

R190 hooked me up. He sent me a pm and then called me to give me a couple options on the pans. With the members here helping and R190 taking the time to call and help me, it just restores my faith in humanity, especially at a time when it seems to be in short supply. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1