Sealing tire bead

KyleM

I recently had new tires put on my 560. 16.9’s on 16” rims. I have a small gap in a few places on both rims. Was wondering if this is normal. This gap isn’t present on any of my other tractors but none of them have the same rim width as the tire. Maybe there just stretched out all the way.  They’re new rims so they were nice and clean. I’ve driven it around some and nothing has changed. I want to pull it this weekend just don’t want any surprises. 

D8D3F47A-60AF-434E-83CE-8B57A7722C58.jpeg

cant see what your  talking about by that picture. are you saying they are not seated? you need to use murphy soap on the rims to seat the beads. same stuff the tire company's use. or should have used.

18 hours ago, 801486 said:

I believe 14" rims are recommended for 16.9s.

14's are first alternate, 15's are the preferred rim, but the rim companies are trying to eliminate odd sized rims, so 15's could be hard to find new or used.  So yes, 14's would probably be the approved rim.

I think I would try getting some "tire soap" down between the tire and the rim.

I know tractor pullers run tires on wider rims, like 18.4's on a 20 inch rim.  That really stresses the tire bead, the heavy steel wires that give the tire bead all it's strength. It also exposes the tire bead and sidewall to damage when getting too close to posts, stumps, building foundations, or equipment in storage buildings.

Has anybody ever seen one pop into place after the fact? I don’t have a lot of tire experience, but the few improperly seated ones that I have seen....they just stayed that way, forever. We had one on a ford that had a gap in it when we bought it, it needed tires anyway, so it had been like that a long time and then we ran it another 5 or ten years. Neighbor has one with a gap in it now. I noted a corn stalk stuck in it recently. He said the tire guy was going to come back and fix that, a few years ago.

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Has anybody ever seen one pop into place after the fact? 

Only on the widow-maker split truck rims.  I worked at a tire shop in high school and college, we had a particular customer who would come in with a flat occasionally. The older guys in the shop would fix it, carefully making sure the rim was seated properly. It never failed, when he backed out and dropped off the 1.5” step in the concrete, you would hear the rim “POP!” as it finally seated.