Dumping Wagons Before Gravity Boxes or Hydraulic Hoists

When grain was hauled in regular boxcars on the railroads, some large places had a somewhat similar setup to dump the grain out the door on the side of the car.  This one tipped it 30 degrees to the side, 45 degrees end to end.  Not nearly as efficient as the rotary coal dumpers.  Those cars have rotary couplers so they don't even have to be uncoupled to dump.

Boxcar-30 deg side, 45 deg end to end.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve posted this before.  It’s how we unloaded trucks before hoists.  

A good friend of mine owns this wagon, lift and elevator. 

Ever seen a train car hauling coal unloaded? Maybe they're hopper bottoms now, but 10 years ago I spent a lot of time working on the equipment in a coal fired power plant here in MI. The car was unhoo

Posted Images

On 11/10/2020 at 9:25 AM, Art From Coleman said:

You can see the slings that I imagine were hooked to the hubs on a wooden wheeled wagon, in this picture.

sfj_jd_portable_grain_elevator_08.jpg

There used to be a hoist like this in the trees by my dad.  Not sure where it went.  It was never used in my time.  I was told those things were on rare occasion fatally dangerous to children who thought they made a nice swing and in doing so tipped the frame over as is was not stable to that sort of load.  

Even though I'm young and in my 40's (don't tell my kids and grandkids I said I was young) I remember the greatest thrill of sitting in a GM 60 and getting in a cabover and getting raised up in the lift in the 90's to dump "canner" sweet potatoes to the cannery out the back. It made you keep your truck somewhat clean during harvest. Now cannery is closed to new Federal regulations that always seems to kill jobs rather than create, but I do remember getting stuck at a 30-35 degree angle one day when a proximity switch went out on a day the resident electrician had called in. Took a good nap in the drivers seat at the ripe old age of 17 in a cabover International hoping it would be dark before it got fixed because the sweet potato harvest isn't for the faint of heart. Plant has been down 25 years now.

We had an H with a F10 Farmhand on it.

We would sling a chain between both cylinders behind the bucket.

Then put the loop under the front of the flair box trailer and lift.

The box pivoted on the rear axle and would go high enough where you could clean the box out with a broom.

It sure beat a shovel.

Farmer ingenuity!

Summer of '85 I worked in a local feed mill that had a front wheel hoist system. But it dumped to the feed grinder that was in the basement. The leg would lift the ground  feed to the mixers mounted on the dock. Then we would bag,tie and toss the finished feed right back in the truck. Truck never moved from the dump spot.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, Howard_P said:

When grain was hauled in regular boxcars on the railroads, some large places had a somewhat similar setup to dump the grain out the door on the side of the car.  This one tipped it 30 degrees to the side, 45 degrees end to end.  Not nearly as efficient as the rotary coal dumpers.  Those cars have rotary couplers so they don't even have to be uncoupled to dump.

Boxcar-30 deg side, 45 deg end to end.jpg

Nice picture.. Straight Engineering here in Adel made boxcar dumps like this for years, then switched to making end dump hoists for trucks.  This may be one of their dumps. I came to Adel in the early 1970s, and remember only truck dumps being shipped  They ceased active business in the late 1980s or early 1990s.  The last of the people involved in the company died about 5 years ago, and the building was cleaned out soon after.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:53 PM, boog said:

We had a Bearcat hoist that mounted on the back of a tractor that lifted the wagon bed to dump ear corn. Hoist was a large 1way hyd cylinder with steel cable that mounted on the tractor drawbar and a large angle iron brace that dropped to the ground to keep the front of the tractor from raising up when you raised the front of the wagon. Wagons were hinged at the rear so the running gear remained on the ground

We had the same thing but dad used it to raise trucks at the government grain sites. Still have it around. 

• 1 month later...