Anyone looking to use IH to haul corn

Iowa5288

The IH gears were built by Electric. The eight bolt was a 335 and the 330 was a six bolt. There were also smaller gears. Electric badged gears for IH, Balzer, Dakon and many others. They are pretty good if you just don't way overload them. We have a few, have 330's under some hay racks. They do trail well. 

18 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I'd rather have the big Unverferth gravity box next to it, or better yet, a ~500bu grain cart.

That's not a Unverferth wagon next to it. That's a DEMCO.

18 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

had that running gear...335 was the model if i recall...was rated as a 8 ton with 6 bolt hubs and 10 ton with 8 bolt hubs...ours had the 8 bolt hubs

8 ton is all that's under that gravity box? That seems a bit on the light side for the size of box that is. 

We have a Kory 185 and 3 Killbros 350 boxes which fully loaded are about 240 bushels. They are all running on 10 ton gears.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:25 PM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The IH gears were built by Electric. The eight bolt was a 335 and the 330 was a six bolt. There were also smaller gears. Electric badged gears for IH, Balzer, Dakon and many others. They are pretty good if you just don't way overload them. We have a few, have 330's under some hay racks. They do trail well. 

I bought a Lundell wagon on a Dakon 1212 gear a few weeks ago. It does look a lot like the Electric gears  I've seen. 

10 hours ago, Iowa5288 said:

It is a 335 with 8 bolt wheels.  What Demco 12 ton gears did you have problems with? The standard or low profile, never had spindle issues on the low profiles I have been around.

Mostly the low profile gears front spindles is what I've seen break.

Dad put our new BIG 150 bushel flare box on the EWC/Oliver 5026D 8 ton gear, 6 bolt wheels,  evidently same as the IH 330.  When filled level full with dry shell corn it was right at 10,000#, 178 and some fraction bushel.  I never weighed a full load of ear corn, with ear corn we added two feet of side boards,  and the way it pulled we had to be real close to our 8 ton rating.  Neighbor had the same wagon box, same sideboards, same hoist on a Deere 8 ton gear, and once he saw our wagon he wished he had got the EWC/Oliver gear. The EWC spindles, all 4, were reinforced with square tubing which resisted breaking/bending.  His Deere didn't have that.  And the EWC gear did trail great. Think Dad still had the 1960 Chevy pickup, 261-6 and he pulled it the 20 miles home as fast as that little truck could go, 60-65 mph. It trailed like a shadow.

Learned something here, excellent. 

We have had an Electric gear for 40 years. It’s perfectly straight.  Still has three of the four original tires on it. I’ve almost sold it (cheap) a few times, as it’s never been used for much and doesn’t match any of the other gears we have under boxes.  Now I’m going to keep it, paint it up and rebadge it IH someday. Thanks 

On 11/11/2020 at 6:03 AM, Reichow7120 said:

8 ton is all that's under that gravity box? That seems a bit on the light side for the size of box that is. 

We have a Kory 185 and 3 Killbros 350 boxes which fully loaded are about 240 bushels. They are all running on 10 ton gears.

The 335 was rated as a 12 ton and has 8 bolt wheels. I personally would call them closer to a 10 ton.