CIH 770 offset disc

20 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I just see all the questions you ask.  Usually "seasoned vets" don't ask as many of the types of questions you do.  I figured you were pretty new to it.  Helps me see where you are coming from, and what experience you may or may not have.  Usually I would ask next how old you are.  Because being around it "all your life" might be a very long, or a very short period.  I mean, you could be 25, or you could be 55.  Makes a difference.  I honestly wasn't trying to be a dick.  Just trying to figure out what you may or may not know/understand.  I really don't understand why people don't think experience plays into things.  When I'm trying to help someone with a mechanical problem, it's nice to know what or how much experience they have.  Also, a 4 row 7000 planter isn't exactly a 16 row Kinze.  I figured you were either new with few acres, or in an area with small plots of land.  Both equal to few acres.  Few acres indicates limited experience.  I mean, I can farm 5 acres and say I know how to farm, but I bet the guy farming 5000 has more experience.  If in the very least, he's been over far more acres and might have seen things a 5 acre guy hasn't.   Make sense??

45 yo. Both parents came from dairy farms (holstein).  Unfortunately neither family farm is still in our family.  My father did buy a farm of his own, had it for over 30 years.  We help each other with our crops.

I could ask questions of all the members here that would make their heads spin.  I'm a person who likes to learn from people who have done stuff, learn how to make things work better, not have to pay people to fix things for me, if so done has screwed something up and I can learn from it, I will ask about it.

Your reasoning for asking does make sense now, but I took it as a dick moment  - apologize. 

You guys can't work bean ground unless putting manure on it in some states? Wow!  Guess in a way, here in Canada they don't say anything about that practice.  Good in a way I guess, but I guess I can see where they are coming from.

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It sounds to me like money might be better spent on a new planter??‍♂️

Picture out my window right now.  Straight shovel, bean stubble probably around 9" deep. 

Every soil works different so what works for one person in Kansas won't work for someone in Minnesota and the same soil in the same two states won't work up the same due to differences in climate so y

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

45 yo. Both parents came from dairy farms (holstein).  Unfortunately neither family farm is still in our family.  My father did buy a farm of his own, had it for over 30 years.  We help each other with our crops.

I could ask questions of all the members here that would make their heads spin.  I'm a person who likes to learn from people who have done stuff, learn how to make things work better, not have to pay people to fix things for me, if so done has screwed something up and I can learn from it, I will ask about it.

Your reasoning for asking does make sense now, but I took it as a dick moment  - apologize. 

You guys can't work bean ground unless putting manure on it in some states? Wow!  Guess in a way, here in Canada they don't say anything about that practice.  Good in a way I guess, but I guess I can see where they are coming from.

Well the book they read says you are allowed 2 tons of topsoil loss per acre per year, if you till bean stubble after covering it with enough manure and enough of it is still visible on the surface then you are okay, they literally lay a string on the ground about 20feet long with marks on it and there has to be a piece of residue or manure at every mark or you are out of compliance, it's a joke but somebody with a college education figured it out and like I always say, everybody needs a job.

1 minute ago, bkorth said:

Well the book they read says you are allowed 2 tons of topsoil loss per acre per year, if you till bean stubble after covering it with enough manure and enough of it is still visible on the surface then you are okay, they literally lay a string on the ground about 20feet long with marks on it and there has to be a piece of residue or manure at every mark or you are out of compliance, it's a joke but somebody with a college education figured it out and like I always say, everybody needs a job.

Wow, and if not in compliance do they fine you?  Do they just randomly show up and check your farm?  Or is this a result of a mouth neighbor making a phone call?

15 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Wow, and if not in compliance do they fine you?  Do they just randomly show up and check your farm?  Or is this a result of a mouth neighbor making a phone call?

If you are out of compliance they can call for reimbursement for the previous 3 years farm program payments, I got a letter this spring saying that I had been randomly selected for a spot check on a certain farm, luckily I had put enough manure on to pass the test, and yes it can also come from an unfriendly neighbor. Most of those found out of compliance get  a slap on the wrist the first time and put on the naughty list but then you are automatically checked again for the next 3 years, if you're out of compliance again then it gets ugly.

• Sad 1

Turned into an interesting topic, Amazing to see the different practices  in different parts of the country, and hear the reasons why. Here our best fields are the ones that haven't had any tillage in 10+ years. We run corn/beans every other year no stalk chopping just Combine, planter, and sprayer.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Stuffcollector said:

Turned into an interesting topic, Amazing to see the different practices  in different parts of the country, and hear the reasons why. Here our best fields are the ones that haven't had any tillage in 10+ years. We run corn/beans every other year no stalk chopping just Combine, planter, and sprayer.

Same here, got some fields that have not seen a tillage tool since 1981