Scout PTO

hobbyfarm

Found this on space book.  Scouts were pretty much gone before I was old enough to know what they were.  Was a PTO a regular option?  Anyone actually do any farm work with a scout?  If anyone needs parts this thing was still out there as of yesterday 

Screenshot_20201107-111520.png

Screenshot_20201107-111512.png

Screenshot_20201107-111507.png

Early Scouts had a Dana 18 t-case if I remember correctly. Possibly a Dana 20. Both had PTO provisions if so equipped. Early Jeep’s used the same t-cases. I’ve never used one like that personally. 

There were pto driven winches available for both transfer cases. Darius Harms had a early scout with a rear 540 pto shaft and a 3 point hitch.

That one just about has to be a Dana 18 with the twin sticks. One for high/low and one for 4x4 engagement. You could twin stick a D20 but it took a little modification. 

8 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Found this on space book.  Scouts were pretty much gone before I was old enough to know what they were.  Was a PTO a regular option?  Anyone actually do any farm work with a scout?  If anyone needs parts this thing was still out there as of yesterday 

Screenshot_20201107-111520.png

Screenshot_20201107-111512.png

Screenshot_20201107-111507.png

They were very nice some farmers here raked hay with them

They also hooked hydraulics, air compressors and generators to those PTO set ups. Often sold to construction companies doing work like pipe line where it was about impossible because of terrain to haul a trailer mounted unit. That was back in the day when 4X4 was not common at all.

Rick

Scouts and Jeeps both had optional PTO's.

Back in the 60's, a guy made his own spraying rig out of a Jeep forward control pickup with the PTO option.

The PTO ran the sprayer pump.

He had a green 275 gallon fuel oil tank in the back for spray and a set of booms off the front end.

I know he had two units and maybe more as he was the first custom applicator in the area.

I have the same unit on one of my old flat fender jeeps. Used it a few times to run a generator and always had plans to run a hydraulic pump or air compressor. Always wanted the front pto winch, but they are hard to find and expensive and then utvs came into the picture.

Most transfer cases and truck type transmissions used back in the day of trucks (and today on real trucks) have the capability of a PTO built by Chelsa, the PTO company.  I used a transfer case based PTO on my mechanical drive winch on a 1200D 4X4. The PTO speed varied with the transmission gear selected. Put the transfer case in neutral for at-rest pto operation or I had winch assist for 4 WD. BUT There was no 540 or 1000 RPM output like a tractor has. That would be by guesstimate!!

Thanks guys.  I would love to have one some day and the oti operate a rank or something would draw some heads.  Unfortunately as everyone knows rust has taken most away especially in the rust belt we live in.

There are still quite a few Scouts around out west, you just have to know where to look. Prices have climbed a ton in the last few years though, back in the early 2000’s you could find 60’s Scouts with good bodies cheap.

Here is a few Scouts with rather attractive and possibly useful accessories ?

1518513563_scout80postholeptorear.jpg.5deec30fdf4c2a6d988964398f4e2ec8.jpg

1431426064_scoutgarbagetruck.jpg.4ef4990cb5bc673b7477fd23aaa4d897.jpg

580532001_pamandersonscout.jpg.e573879d2fab28c1388eb886cf75141b.jpg

• Like 1