Anything wrong with the standard rotor? I always liked the sample they’d put out. I know they rope in beans etc but if you are into pretty grain samples they fit the bill. 

4 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

Anything wrong with the standard rotor? I always liked the sample they’d put out. I know they rope in beans etc but if you are into pretty grain samples they fit the bill. 

Standard rotor laying there has holes worn through it and a few dents in various places. The specialty rotor went in today, it was a $750 Craigslist find and in very good condition. 

The price seemed right for this rotor. The old one is junk and is destined for scrap. The ol' man is only going to farm his 70 acres another couple yrs. Unless someone thinks the specialty rotor plain out won't work, it's gonna have to do.

I would think a person could cut down on the grinding using the same basic adjustment process you would use with a standard rotor? We have fines screens on the clean grain and returns augers, a little loss there will still be nothing compared to the leaks the machine had from the cracks and holes up around the transition cone & bulkhead.

So how 'bout it? We're not so far together that we couldn't attain a standard rotor and put it in. But dad would be seriously disappointed if I told him we have to go that route.

We had a specialty rotor in the 1480 that dad bought.   It worked good in soybeans but for corn we tried everything and could not get a good sample.   We ended up putting standard rotor rasp bars on the rotor.  

I didn’t mean to cause you any stress or for you to second guess yourself. The $750 specialty rotor is an awesome find and I would not hesitate to use it. I just remembered the grain samples from 30 years ago we had with the standard rotor. Every producer I know of today that has a red combine uses the specialty rotor. Go for it!