Jump to content

Does anybody know anything about McCulloch chain saws?


Recommended Posts

I just happened upon this today. My neighbor had this McCulloch  chain saw in his garage and asked me if I had a use for it. It's a PM 610 model with a 20 inch bar. He said he ran it a couple years ago but has two new and lighter saws and never uses this one. I told him I would give it a try and figured it would make a good back up to my ms260. 

After a little love I was able to get it started but the kill switch doesn't work, I had to choke it to shut it off. I'm just giving the chain a good tune up and taking the depth gauges down.

Does anybody know anything about these saws. 

20201108_164404.jpg

20201108_164419.jpg

20201108_185618.jpg

20201108_185804.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like the wire to the switch might be broke or unhooked from the coil or the switch.

open her up and see

gota get my 610 back from the engineer in Mn. [son]

a good set of muffs are in order too.

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

People are pretty loyal to them. Personally if it works with a cursory going over I’d keep it around for a spare, but don’t invest heavily. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I just happened upon this today. My neighbor had this McCulloch  chain saw in his garage and asked me if I had a use for it. It's a PM 610 model with a 20 inch bar. He said he ran it a couple years ago but has two new and lighter saws and never uses this one. I told him I would give it a try and figured it would make a good back up to my ms260. 

After a little love I was able to get it started but the kill switch doesn't work, I had to choke it to shut it off. I'm just giving the chain a good tune up and taking the depth gauges down.

Does anybody know anything about these saws. 

20201108_164404.jpg

20201108_164419.jpg

20201108_185618.jpg

20201108_185804.jpg

guess he had it in the right place. my dad said that was the worst saw made in the 1960's. just saying what he said.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They are a good, reliable saw. Not worth much, have ok power, but as you know, they are very heavy. Had a guy at work try to give me one to get running and sell for him. I got it running and gave it back to him and told him he could try selling it on his own (good luck), he asked what he should ask for it, and seemed disappointed when I told him he should ask $50 and be ready to take $25 for it if he can find someone that wants it. There's a ton of them around still. They're a good saw for cutting dirty stuff, cutting off stumps, or freeing your stuck good saw, anything where you don't care if you wreck it. I've had a couple of them, gave them all away. They're too heavy for me to mess with anymore, my big saws are still lighter, have more power and cc's, and will cut faster. Those old 610's are reliable though. Now if it was a PM 700 or 800, I'd be all over that.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandfather was a Muc-co-lucka as my old man would say...................We got to the woods with our ancient Blue Homelites, and they would end up working on his Muc's, last good one he had was an ancient 1010, rest after were ship wrecks.  I guess people say that about our Homie's too, but they always ran for us.........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 610 was a workhorse in the 80's.

Our crew had two and they both worked well.

But they are big, heavy and awkward.

Not like the newer, more powerful and lighter saws.

I agree with the $50 max.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the info. I really haven't had a chance to look at the kill switch, I was in the process of sharpening the chain when I made the topic. Ear plugs and muffs may be in order for this saw, it certainly is loud. The neighbors will all know when and where I'm cutting wood. I need a back up saw here anyway because my little saw is in the side box on my log truck for trimming duties.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never ran a saw that didnt automaticly oil the chain so having to pump the oiler  will be a new one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Thanks for all the info. I really haven't had a chance to look at the kill switch, I was in the process of sharpening the chain when I made the topic. Ear plugs and muffs may be in order for this saw, it certainly is loud. The neighbors will all know when and where I'm cutting wood. I need a back up saw here anyway because my little saw is in the side box on my log truck for trimming duties.

you mean ''the neighbors in the next county'':lol:

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike H said:

you mean ''the neighbors in the next county'':lol:

Mike

On a peaceful day if the wind is blowing right you might be able to hear it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I remember macs being loud

I have an 850 ProMac and a Super 250. Not to bad. Now the 925 Homelite? That thing's obnoxious

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I've never ran a saw that didnt automaticly oil the chain so having to pump the oiler  will be a new one.

Nothing prettier than the sound of 2 Macs cutting in the same woods, it's a sweet sound. 

As for the oiler, maybe Im wrong, but I'm pretty sure a 610 has an automatic oiler, and just has the push button for a little extra if needed, like the 700 and 800's have. Blow out the bar holes, fill it with oil, and run the saw up until the chain is spinning good and hold the end of the bar near a piece of cardboard, and don't push the oilerror button. If it's oiling on its own, it will sling oil on the cardboard where it is easy to see, and should continue as long as the chain is turning.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

My grandfather was a Muc-co-lucka as my old man would say...................We got to the woods with our ancient Blue Homelites, and they would end up working on his Muc's, last good one he had was an ancient 1010, rest after were ship wrecks.  I guess people say that about our Homie's too, but they always ran for us.........

same thing my dad said.... he was a tree faller for 30 years and only had homelites. he used to say them dam muc's once they get wet that was it they would just stop and not start. he said he was cutting under the snow and no problem and yes i was out in the bush also and changed him off a few times in 1979, and was cutting to length on the landing. used a 922 homelite and i still have it here. plus have some of those blue smaller ones too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RBootsMI said:

Nothing prettier than the sound of 2 Macs cutting in the same woods, it's a sweet sound. 

As for the oiler, maybe Im wrong, but I'm pretty sure a 610 has an automatic oiler, and just has the push button for a little extra if needed, like the 700 and 800's have. Blow out the bar holes, fill it with oil, and run the saw up until the chain is spinning good and hold the end of the bar near a piece of cardboard, and don't push the oilerror button. If it's oiling on its own, it will sling oil on the cardboard where it is easy to see, and should continue as long as the chain is turning.

The extra oil pump would be a nice feature because most of my wood is big rounds. Sometimes with the ms260 I have to pause between cuts because the chain is getting dry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

As for the oiler, maybe Im wrong, but I'm pretty sure a 610 has an automatic oiler, and just has the push button for a little extra if needed

That is my recollection as well.   I would often use the manual boost on long cuts with the tip buried. 

The 610 was a workhorse for me.  It was the first saw I owned with an anti-vibration system, and the AV  was very effective.   I replaced parts of that suspension a few times, usually after it showed signs of fatigue probably caused by tugging too hard on a pinched bar.  

I believe McCulloch was purchased by Black & Decker around the time they started producing the 610.  Once they started appearing in K-Marts,  quality seemed to diminish. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...