Jump to content

trespassing neighbor


Recommended Posts

I searched the old posts for a bit and did not see where I was bringing up an old subject. My boss owns some what could be considered premium hunting land for around here. He is looking at leasing for deer hunting and has done his homework ready to go. The down side is an out of state landowner that has adjoining ground may not be happy. No hunting no trespass signs were turned around to face away from his property and they were off the property line by 3 feet or so. Gates and woven wire came down soon after his arrival I think he has came and went as he pleased for a long time. I can see all kinds of ways for this to go sideways but the bottom line is having an neighbor like that could screw with repeat deer leases down the road.

I know first hand how bullheaded people can be when it comes to hunting rights or "justified" trespassing but I didn't have to worry about them being around to screw up business. Just ran them off took possession of 2 or 3 tree stands over the years also. No they were not neighbors either .Not too much of a diplomat myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the same exact problem. Hangs treestands on the prop line facing mine. Got a whole gang of 20 something hunters now (son and friends). Not near the problem it was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Damn out of state people are a problem everywhere it seems. They buy a little slice of heaven and then think they own the whole county. 

I understand they own what they bought but they didn't buy the whole country. Hope I don't offend anyone here but I have "urban plague" to one side of me overall they don't respect country courtesy either.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, exSW said:

Got the same exact problem. Hangs treestands on the prop line facing mine. Got a whole gang of 20 something hunters now (son and friends). Not near the problem it was.

Used to have problem fired up 1486 straight pipe and bushhog about 5 on opening morning a couple of years in a row seemed to take care of it . 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Used to have problem fired up 1486 straight pipe and bushhog about 5 on opening morning a couple of years in a row seemed to take care of it . 

DO IT RIGHT AT DAY BREAK....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, junkandcattle said:

I searched the old posts for a bit and did not see where I was bringing up an old subject. My boss owns some what could be considered premium hunting land for around here. He is looking at leasing for deer hunting and has done his homework ready to go. The down side is an out of state landowner that has adjoining ground may not be happy. No hunting no trespass signs were turned around to face away from his property and they were off the property line by 3 feet or so. Gates and woven wire came down soon after his arrival I think he has came and went as he pleased for a long time. I can see all kinds of ways for this to go sideways but the bottom line is having an neighbor like that could screw with repeat deer leases down the road.

I know first hand how bullheaded people can be when it comes to hunting rights or "justified" trespassing but I didn't have to worry about them being around to screw up business. Just ran them off took possession of 2 or 3 tree stands over the years also. No they were not neighbors either .Not too much of a diplomat myself.

Get the game wardens involved! Don’t accept this BS from him. Set up game cameras watching those gates and signs. They could fine him for trespassing or worse. They might be able to take his hunting privileges for a year. Get them involved and let them handle it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Get the game wardens involved! Don’t accept this BS from him. Set up game cameras watching those gates and signs. They could fine him for trespassing or worse. They might be able to take his hunting privileges for a year. Get them involved and let them handle it.

Dont know about other places but Game Wardens here will NOT write a trespassing ticket(even to a licenced hunter,) They say it's the State Polices job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, exSW said:

Dont know about other places but Game Wardens here will NOT write a trespassing ticket(even to a licenced hunter,) They say it's the State Polices job.

If he’s tampering with posted signs or anything to do with hunting, it should fall upon the wardens. At least here I’ve seen it done. Hunting on posted property without written permission. If these people so much as set foot on a neighboring property with a firearm, during season, it’s a hunting violation.

Proving it is a different matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year a neighbor, southern boundary, allowed some friends to deer hunt. I caught one of them on my land. I wasn't rude but did point out that he was trespassing. This year he, the hunter tried telling a neighbor and good friend that I was trespassing to access some of my property. Neighbor told him that I could cross that 25X30 foot chunk to access that land and he had no problem with it. Bob, the land owner south of me has told me that's the last year the guy would be there. Bob, a city guy wants to get along with neighbors.

 

Rick

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some problems with this around here too. Personally I would hunt every square inch of our place that's legal to but I would never shoot over the line at all. As a matter of fact this year I passed the only buck I am after at 24 yards as he was 7 yards on the other side of the line . Another close to neighbor shoots 200+ yards into their bordering property even though they have been asked not to numerous times. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

my experience is that once you lease the ground to hunters, they will police the land and keep the trespassers off, they have to protect their interest

As far as I know he hasn't officially leased it yet. Can't help but think there will be problems when there are too many roosters

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bitty said:

There is some problems with this around here too. Personally I would hunt every square inch of our place that's legal to but I would never shoot over the line at all. As a matter of fact this year I passed the only buck I am after at 24 yards as he was 7 yards on the other side of the line . . 

That's the way it should be. I was with my youngest when a buck he shot jumped both railroad fences and fell over dead on the neighbors place. Real pain to get back while respecting the fences 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't dick with landowners in Idaho. A couple years back, the legislature loosened the rules in favor of the landowner. misdemeanor trespass is now $300 fine. Third trespass is a felony, I think within a 10 year period. first or second trespass can be a felony with destruction of property, like cutting fence or driving through fields. Do not need to post every 660 ft like before, only on corners or entry points. a fence is to be construed as private, tilled land is to be construed as private, even old crp. It is on the possible trespasser to know the boundaries. The property finder on a phone is not legal excuse, only the legal description is considered as legal. Fish and game will write and pursue a ticket during hunting season whether you have a gun or not. We let a few hunt that help with fence, they will help police it when we are not there. Two of them are cops. Badda bing, badda boom. Hunting licenses can be revoked, depends how pissed the landowner is. restitution is required for damages.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Round here game warden writes tickets for tresspassing with good evidence from landowner all year...ive got his cell number in my phone...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

That's the way it should be. I was with my youngest when a buck he shot jumped both railroad fences and fell over dead on the neighbors place. Real pain to get back while respecting the fences 

These neighbors are fine to deal with. I tracked the buck I hit this year on their place. We always call first. During rifle season we have tracked on their place maybe 2 times in the last 30 years. We will wait for dark to track if possible so we don't kick deer to any other neighbors during hunting hours 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bitty said:

These neighbors are fine to deal with. I tracked the buck I hit this year on their place. We always call first. During rifle season we have tracked on their place maybe 2 times in the last 30 years. We will wait for dark to track if possible so we don't kick deer to any other neighbors during hunting hours 

Doesn't PA have "right to retrieve"? If you shoot one place and it dies across the line?

Link to post
Share on other sites

get crop damage permits, shoot them all, then no one will have anything to hunt and everyone will lose interest, problem solved. 

If only it was as easy as that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, exSW said:

Don't know about other places but Game Wardens here will NOT write a trespassing ticket(even to a licensed hunter,) They say it's the State Polices job.

Then call your County Attorney (Prosecutor) Office and ask who should investigate this?

Then get them involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Then call your County Attorney (Prosecutor) Office and ask who should investigate this?

Then get them involved.

I have High blood pressure. That's about the last person I want to talk to.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trespass laws and enforcement in PA are really soft like wet noodle soft. 

Farm bordering us to the rear allows one family of 3 to archery hunt only.  Well the ding-a-lings put a tree stand on my side in the tree line.  I know the farm owners would address it and have the stand moved if I asked but I decided to be the better person and just let it go.  There are plenty of deer here and all the other adjacent properties are non hunters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Trespass laws and enforcement in PA are really soft like wet noodle soft. 

Farm bordering us to the rear allows one family of 3 to archery hunt only.  Well the ding-a-lings put a tree stand on my side in the tree line.  I know the farm owners would address it and have the stand moved if I asked but I decided to be the better person and just let it go.  There are plenty of deer here and all the other adjacent properties are non hunters.

Commonwealth. That one word.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...