I finally joined the Black Stripe club!

My vote is keep the cab.

Was a BS 1466 locally at the dealer a few months ago that supposedly was an 1800hr tractor. It had that same cab.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took it for an hour long drive.  Ran strong and smooth.   Hydro pulled good in both ranges,  even up a decent hill.  All lights work but filter and hydro quadrant.  Wiper, fan work. Radio lights up, b

I had to work today,  but thanks to a good friend (Thanks, Gene!), I was able to successfully purchase my first Black Stripe tractor.  I have wanted one for years, but the right one eluded me.  They w

I arrived home this evening and Dad had the 100 hooked to the disk.  He had greased every zerk he could find on both the tractor and the disk.  He lubricated the door hinges and the throttle lever.  H

Posted Images

Looks like a nice straight Hydro! Can't wait to see it all cleaned up. That turbo would be a nice addition to it. Look's like the same cab and mounts that's on our 76 766. Our 74 Hydro 100 has the red cab with the hinge on the rear mounts. I vote leave the cab too! But I kinda have a soft spot for them lol

Snapchat-169352869.thumb.jpg.345dd90fe756cf2d1cfaa703721b51ce.jpg

20180709_215045.thumb.jpg.263db1a8cd07c4814468a37eac1c7b16.jpg

• Like 5

Leave cab on,  that would be an awesome unit with a snowblower in the winter.  Neighbour has a 100 Hydro that he claims will be mine one day.  It has coolant in the oil pan,  sad that it just sits there.  

Just now, redturbo said:

Leave cab on,  that would be an awesome unit with a snowblower in the winter.  Neighbour has a 100 Hydro that he claims will be mine one day.  It has coolant in the oil pan,  sad that it just sits there.  

After looking over the cab this evening,  I plan to fix it up.  Want to mount my model 80 snowblower on it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Took it for an hour long drive.  Ran strong and smooth.   Hydro pulled good in both ranges,  even up a decent hill.  All lights work but filter and hydro quadrant.  Wiper, fan work. Radio lights up, but no sound.  Good oil pressure, all guages work.  Tires are nice, solid rims.  Steering is tight. Seat suspension is decent.  Shows 6,325 hours. Even without doors, it was comfortable in the cab. The power beyond plate is plumbed into a grecian valve to run the grapple that was on the loader it used to wear.

20201111_214737.jpg

20201111_214816.jpg

20201111_214905.jpg

20201111_214136.jpg

20201111_214127.jpg

Screenshot_20201111-214947_Gallery.jpg

20201111_215048.jpg

20201111_215133.jpg

• Like 13

Worked on the 100 awhile this evening.   I think the side panels by the radiator match the overall patina of the machine pretty well.  The California sun bleached them. They are from Firebaugh Equipment and came off a 186 Hydro in the yard at work.  

Installed a nice used grille and a weight box.  Replaced a lot of missing hood bolts, the kick panel and the panel at the base of the seat.  Mounted a proper taillight, top link and and top link bracket.

Have a grill screen,  alternator guard, PTO shield,  hood ornament, rear reflector, flashing lights, rear glass and a quick hitch to install.  Gene is hauling the doors up on Saturday. More improvements to come!

The 436 Turbo engine has the top mount breather and the turbo was neatly installed using a fuel tank/mounts and heat shields off a turbocharged machine.   The water filter kit is all black and likely new when the engine was installed.   

The 3rd valve has lines that leave the power beyond plate and exit the rear of the cab. They then curl around the rear of the cab and enter the RH cab wall to the grecian valve. Then back out the cab wall and end with 2 short hoses and female couplers.  If I dont cap off the plate and eliminate them, I am looking for suggestions to simplify and clean up the installation.   Should I run shorter lines behind the seat?  The current route of the lines makes 3 point work nearly impossible. 

For your viewing pleasure:

20201113_000119.jpg

20201113_000147.jpg

20201113_000414.jpg

20201113_000344.jpg

20201113_000042.jpg

• Like 7

Looks nice! The side panels must have been on a tri-stripe 186 to be red like that. The patina matches very well.  

Firebaugh Equipment Co . My neck of the woods ! About 25 miles North west of me . 
in its day that area was next town over of  Mendota, Ca. the Cantaloupe capital of the world and was heavy in Alfalfa and Cotton , canning tomatoes. Cantaloupes .
there were many hydro’ s used in cantaloupe and hay harvesting , there was a V.C.Britton Co that chopped alfalfa for dehydrator , thousands of acres .

just a little FYI on your dealer sticker 

Tony 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Looks nice! The side panels must have been on a tri-stripe 186 to be red like that. The patina matches very well.  

Yes, they were.  I chose those panels specifically to match the rest of the machine.  The cool decals were a bonus.

• Like 1

I have to eliminate those ugly hoses in the way behind the cab.  Thinking about running steel lines from the power beyond plate behind the seat and along the cab wall to the grecian valve.   Then run the existing lines (that run back to couplers now) into a factory remote coupler mounted above the existing one using a factory 86 series bracket.  Then it would appear more factory. 

3 minutes ago, 560DT said:

Aaron when ya get time clean these spider webs off the back window  lol

I have a big can of bug killer! 

Have glass,  but it is kind of cool outside to work the rubber seal in place. 

For a pure, classic, restored look, I think they look better without a cab. But for usability in most climates, the cab is awesome. Even if AC doesn't work, open windows and drop the doors, at least you're in the shade. Heater won't work, at least you are out of the wind, snow, and sleet.  

Good looking tractor. That's a classic machine and the hydro is just a plus!

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you Hydro 100 with factory cab owners: Did yours have the grab handles on either side of the dash?  What about the front hydraulic cover at the base of the seat?  Mine does not have them, but thinking of adding them.  

Snow the other night. For the first time in years, it stayed out of the cab!

20201124_071545.jpg

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Question for you Hydro 100 with factory cab owners: Did yours have the grab handles on either side of the dash?  What about the front hydraulic cover at the base of the seat?  Mine does not have them, but thinking of adding them.  

Snow the other night. For the first time in years, it stayed out of the cab!

20201124_071545.jpg

No grab handles on ours. I dont recall seeing holes that they may have even been there. No front hydraulic cover either but that may have got tossed when the line was put through there for the joystick

Now that I think about it I don't believe the twin to ours had grab handles either when we bought this one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

I can’t speak of hydros, but our red cabbed lineup of regular trans machines, they don’t have the grab handles. 

My 856 with the factory diamond cab did not have grab handles either.   I added the LH handle to aid climbing into the cab.  That keeps me from grabbing the steering wheel, which is hard on the bushing (for the tilt) and the hand pump shaft seal. Thinking the 100 needs one as well. 

• Like 1