I finally joined the Black Stripe club!

I had to work today,  but thanks to a good friend (Thanks, Gene!), I was able to successfully purchase my first Black Stripe tractor.  I have wanted one for years, but the right one eluded me.  They were either out of my price range or in horrible condition. The stars aligned this afternoon and I am the proud owner of a Hydro 100!  Serial number #   12,290 which makes it a late 1975.  It has a 436 turbo engine (reman) and cab.  (The doors did come with it.) It needs a couple side panels, fix hole in the hood left when the exhaust was rerouted for the turbo, alternator guard,a PTO shield, broken 3 point sway limiter, and decide what to do with the cab.  Sounded strong and drove good according to my friend that bid it for me.  I have arranged to have it hauled next week.   Can't wait to have it delivered.   Thanks also to DT Fan for not bidding against me!  ?  What do you guys think of it?  Should I leave the cab, or install fenders, or a 2 post?

Screenshot_20201020-190146_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201107-163841_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201107-170507_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20201107-212035_Messages.jpg

• Like 10
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took it for an hour long drive.  Ran strong and smooth.   Hydro pulled good in both ranges,  even up a decent hill.  All lights work but filter and hydro quadrant.  Wiper, fan work. Radio lights up, b

I had to work today,  but thanks to a good friend (Thanks, Gene!), I was able to successfully purchase my first Black Stripe tractor.  I have wanted one for years, but the right one eluded me.  They w

I arrived home this evening and Dad had the 100 hooked to the disk.  He had greased every zerk he could find on both the tractor and the disk.  He lubricated the door hinges and the throttle lever.  H

Posted Images

Congrats on getting her bought Aaron! Kept me from having to but it. I would love to have a big hydro but don't know that this is the right time for me. About a year out on having a building to put one in. My poor 1066 is outside for the time being. It was a beautiful day, didn't buy one thing! Had a good day hanging out with the uncle and Gene.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with Gene in more detail when I came home from work this evening.   The 100 has 18.4-38 on the rear and 11.00-16 on 8 bolt hubs on the front.  The ad incorrectly said it had 18.4-34.  It has diff lock, tilt steering, manual seat, 3rd valve (used to run a grapple on the 2350 loader it used to wear), power beyond plate, new batteries, all guages work, wedgelock rear wheels.   The downside:  the brakes are shot, the rear of the cab is smashed in from the 3 point.  Also the rockshaft cover is cracked (presumably when the cab was damaged). He did not notice the bad cover when we bid on it. Was hidden behind the SMV.

Couple questions for you black stripe guys:  I know that the early gear drive tractors had the serial number on the clutch housing and no provision for cab mounts on the axle trumpets.  This 100 has those qualities.   Did the hydros ever have the serial number on the RH side of the transmission and the 86 series cab mount provisions or was that a gear drive trait?  Just curious.   

Excited to see it for myself and drive it around.

Congrats, and nice looking tractor. Cabs that look like that (deluxe cabs) do not require anything special on the axles. The brackets bolt from the cab, to the axles, and could be added or removed from any tractor, and look factory correct either way. I like those cabs. Most guys here don’t.  I don’t like getting wet when it’s raining, or having snow or cow poop blowing in my face in the winter when spreading manure or blowing snow. Hard to find a newer t tractor in that price range.....so....I think they are good.   That panel of your cab that is smashed in, (assuming it’s the lower piece and not the section that has the window in it)  that piece just bolts in. You’re going to be removing it to weld up or replace that top cover anyway, so, good time to straighten it out, or replace it. I’ve got a good handle on those cabs. If you need any help with it (not that anything there is complex at all) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lookingcloser, the cab mounts that you have, they are the later style. Early 66’s didn’t have those U bolts around the axles. Took me a minute to figure out what that red shield was hanging below the right side of the cab. Now I see it’s a bracket/tube to protect the hyd hoses for when it had a loader. ( I’d remove that. )

22 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Lookingcloser, the cab mounts that you have, they are the later style. Early 66’s didn’t have those U bolts around the axles. Took me a minute to figure out what that red shield was hanging below the right side of the cab. Now I see it’s a bracket/tube to protect the hyd hoses for when it had a loader. ( I’d remove that. )

That hose holder should have went with the 2350 loader, but nobody took it off.  I will likely have a 2350 on it someday.  Just need to find the right one.  I am leaning towards keeping the cab, I always liked the looks of them and I want to mount my IH model 80 snowblower on this tractor.  

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I think it’ll work good for you....image.thumb.jpg.97e60d6dafd815d66e3bd77465ce5aec.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0ba471913afcd9d8d6b6a2464ebc2edd.jpg

I remember now; that you like the red deluxe cabs. I may pick your brain about the heat and A/C systems on these cabs.  If they dont work properly, you will never use the tractor. Unless you pull the doors off, like the previous owner of my 100 did! 

Do you have a hydro?

Sorry...no hydro here. Not much for AC either....I have one that won’t hold a charge, a compressor clutch set up on another from rarely running it, and two that haven’t worked in a long time. My local AC guy retired, new guys are too busy to work on old tractors, but I’ve found a local shop that says he going to get a few of them fixed for us.

It just doesn’t get that unbearable hot here in NY. 

I definitely want to install rear wheel weights and one of those cast weight brackets they used on 86 or 88 series machines.  May consider K&M steps too. Do you like square or round cab flashers?

3 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Sorry...no hydro here. Not much for AC either....I have one that won’t hold a charge, a compressor clutch set up on another from rarely running it, and two that haven’t worked in a long time. My local AC guy retired, new guys are too busy to work on old tractors, but I’ve found a local shop that says he going to get a few of them fixed for us.

It just doesn’t get that unbearable hot here in NY. 

I was thinking about relocating the A/C condenser in front of the radiator with the hydro oil cooler and all new lines, expansion valve, receiver dryer,etc. from AP Air.

If your going with specific flashers, why not put the correct steel (not the newer 86 style) weight bracket on there?  Our white cab had square flashers, but the red cabs that had round (I believe ours did originally anyway) so I’ve stayed with round. Plus....there are a lot cheaper in the aftermarket common types.

10 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

If your going with specific flashers, why not put the correct steel (not the newer 86 style) weight bracket on there?  Our white cab had square flashers, but the red cabs that had round (I believe ours did originally anyway) so I’ve stayed with round. Plus....there are a lot cheaper in the aftermarket common types.

My neighbor has a 1466 with a 2350 loader and the cast weight bracket on the front.   He usually has a log chain wrapped around it.  Always liked the way that setup looked.  (He was the one that explained the hose holder for the loader to me. He said it came with the loader when his Dad had it installed at the dealer.)

Congratulations ! Nice find !

I would leave the cab, try to make it nice . 
there are too many without cabs and I think having the cab would be an asset. Imho

tony 

Btw , I have started keeping my eye out for a clean or restored 1466 black strip 1976 , prefer with cab but consider without cab

enjoy your new girl , I am sure she’ll treat you right .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

Congratulations ! Nice find !

I would leave the cab, try to make it nice . 
there are too many without cabs and I think having the cab would be an asset. Imho

tony 

Btw , I have started keeping my eye out for a clean or restored 1466 black strip 1976 , prefer with cab but consider without cab

enjoy your new girl , I am sure she’ll treat you right .

Boss has what you are looking for on the lot.  Original paint, low hours.

20200805_141738.jpg

20200520_174103.jpg

20200520_174038.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1