Kerosene vs Diesel

I try to keep a 55 gallon drum of kerosene on hand to use in the Knipco heater. Went to my supplier the other day and almost had to take out a loan when they handed me the bill.

Does anyone use diesel in theirs? Or maybe a mix?   Kero is much cleaner, but whoo hooo, kinda expensive. 

If you got a medium size airport near by you could go to the FBO ( Fixed base operator)i.e. airport gas station.  and purchase some Aircraft turbine engine fuel.  "Jet A"  Pretty close to Kerosene.  I'm thinking it in the $2-7 dollar range depending on where you live.  https://www.airnav.com/fuel/report.html  

I think kerosene was $3.57 a gallon last time I got it. Fordson runs on kerosene . But think I’ll stick to gasoline . 

Use diesel in mine. As said little more order and smoke which doesn't bother me as I keep a window or 2 open when I'm useing it. I use the fuel as I get at the pumps for trucks as there is place for me to get off-road in town. 25 miles to place for off-road.  ( one way )

I used to use off road in the salamander, smoked pretty bad.. but it was what was there i’m alright..really 🤪

I burn used jet fuel. Really clean and low oder. My son is a helicopter mechanic and is always looking for a place to get rid of drained fuel. Apparently if it is drained it cannot be reused. Diesel is not as bad today because of sulfur removal 

It's unlikely that you'll find any JP4 anywhere but foreign countries using very old jets. JP4 is 50/50 kerosene/gasoline and was used in early jets with no fuel heaters, usually oil/fuel heat exchangers. The US military now uses JP8 which is the same as civil JetA1, which is the same as Jet A with prist, an anti ice additive premixed in. I used to fly for a defense contractor and we visited many AF bases where we got cheap JP4. The problem with it is it's so light range is compromised. There's much less energy in it than Jet A. That was in the '80s but Uncle Sam doesn't have anything that needs it anymore. Navy uses JP5, a higher flash point fuel for the carrier based planes. At civil airports the military planes will just order Jet A1 or Jet A with Prist.

Anyway, all of the above may just be interesting.

Jet fuel is way cleaner than heating oil and diesel and is good to burn in salamanders and the like. Company I worked for had to dig up all the underground storage tanks and didn't bother to install a new above ground tank for the hangar heaters, just jet fuel. They tapped off the jet tank for the heaters and ran it through a meter to not pay airport flowage fees on it. Servicemen would show up to replace the filters on the heaters and say someone just changed them! No, jet fuel is just that clean.

One funny story about the fuel drained from aircraft sumps and what to do with it:

As was stated above, the fuel drained doesn't go back into the tanks but has to be disposed of. One mechanic I knew heated his house on it. Another, a very good friend of mine, was draining sumps on his company's jet and the drain barrel was full. His chief pilot, a real pompous A, had just bought a diesel Rabbit so he poured it in the tank. Pompous started claiming the Rabbit was getting better mileage as it broke in, so Charlie started making it a habit of pouring fuel into it. Well, the rabbit was getting better and better mileage now nearly 90 MPG! Pompous A was bragging about it to anyone who was near. The disposal company finally showed up and drained the sump disposal barrel and the additional fuel suddenly stopped. Mr. chief pilot took the Rabbit into VW and started to complain that something had gone wrong as the car had been getting 80 plus MPG and now was only getting 40+. My buddy had great fun with that one.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, New Englander said:

Another, a very good friend of mine, was draining sumps on his company's jet and the drain barrel was full. His chief pilot, a real pompous A, had just bought a diesel Rabbit so he poured it in the tank. Pompous started claiming the Rabbit was getting better mileage as it broke in, so Charlie started making it a habit of pouring fuel into it. Well, the rabbit was getting better and better mileage now nearly 90 MPG! Pompous A was bragging about it to anyone who was near. The disposal company finally showed up and drained the sump disposal barrel and the additional fuel suddenly stopped. Mr. chief pilot took the Rabbit into VW and started to complain that something had gone wrong as the car had been getting 80 plus MPG and now was only getting 40+. My buddy had great fun with that one.

Now that is an AWESOME prank to play on someone!!!

Which was greater?  The diagnostic bill(s) at Volkswagen or the fuel savings?

• Haha 1