Best paint for working tractors and Implements

I have used Iron Gard,  which I felt was good for the money,  held up pretty good but not as fuel resistant as I would like. Easy touch up. Rugged. 

Majic Tractor Supply dulls right out,  chalked up quickly and is not resistant to fuel at all. Does stick well.

Rustoleum slightly better than Majic but same chalky look quickly. 

Automotive urethane,  crazy expensive and kinda finicky about substrate  but completely fuel resistant. Used Napa Crossfire. Not easy or cheap touch up. 

What others are you guys using? Pros and cons. 

The majic paint from tsc is definitely not worth it. As you said fades very easily and gets chalky. Iron gard seems to be the best and we’ve had good luck mixing hardener with it for a good finish. We used to get vansickle paint from a local farm store that worked good as well but they quit carrying it. 

• Like 1

Majic pant is cheap junk. 

Van Sickle paint is cheap junk.  

Napa Crossfire is ok.  Better than "cheap junk", but is hard to get good consistent coverage. 

Omni makes good stuff, but I've never shot it.

PPG is some of the best.  I've not shot it very much, but had a friend who used it painting tractors, not for himself but for others.  He used a lot of single stage, but clear coated over it for UV protection.  Also gave an added layer so the paint could be buffed without getting into the color coat.  Good stuff.

Personally I like DuPont products.  I used to use their Centari line, but they phased it out.  I switched to the Nason line and still use it.  Very durable.  Very hard.  Resists fade and holds up well on equipment.  I highly recommend anything made by DuPont.

Big thing on any paint job is a good base.  I like using epoxy primer, but a good self etch works good too.  To do it right, you would lay an epoxy or etching primer, follow with a 2k sander/filler, sand, wet sand, lay color (possibly 2 coats), wet sand then paint again.  Then you can leave it, or clear on top of it.  Sounds expensive, and it kind of is.  Just depends on how often you want to repaint your equipment, and how well you like it to look. If you never want to paint it again and it still look like when you painted it 25 years from now, spend the money.  You can literally spend as little or as much as you want.  Very different results though. 

Oh, I forgot Ironguard.  It's better than the cheap junk, but I'm not a huge fan.  I still think they add something else to it from the factory because I've never seen an Ironguard repaint last as long as original.  I've shot gallons of it.  It doesn't lay down nice like automotive grade paints.  Better than cheap junk, but far below DuPont and PPG, Imron and other top shelf paints.  I give it a "Meh, it's decent" rating. 

• Like 1

We started using the Sherwin Williams/Martin Senour(Napa) Prism system on our truck fleet for frames and accessories. Easy to use, forgiving to work with, holds the shine, but pretty expensive. But it is extremely durable also. Worth looking into. Like anything, you get what you pay for.

• Like 2