Oil pressure drop even after complete rebuild

I have a 504 international utility that I complete overhauled the engine and oil pump new spring. It has 45 lbs pressure on cold start up then slowly drops to about 15 lbs after running for about 1/2 hr.Any ideas what would be the cause. It has 30 w oil in it.The engine in it now is a C135 The engine was replaced after the other one blew up.Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edited by OhioBob2020
ment overhaul not rebuild

I had a 706 gas that did that.  turns out that the gasket I used for the oil filter base did not match the pattern of the internal channels of the base.  bolt holes lined up outside edges were fine. gasket set had more than one filter base gasket. I chose the wrong one.  cab

More than likely the problem Is the oil pump cover, they get warped and allow the warm oil to leak out.  Had the same thing happen to my 504 utility a few years ago.  The fix is to get a new cover and gasket, and make a reinforcement plate that attaches with the cover bolts.  Basically a piece of flat iron with a couple holes in it.

Did you reuse the old oil pump?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we fix a lot of oil pressure problems with that series of engine using the diecast oil pump base by replacing the base Case IH gets stupid money for one now they call it a reservoir part # 6098DA stiener offers one also but I have not tried theirs  as I have 1 more IH one in stock yet. On those engines there is no filter base to worry about,

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

More than likely the problem Is the oil pump cover, they get warped and allow the warm oil to leak out.  Had the same thing happen to my 504 utility a few years ago.  The fix is to get a new cover and gasket, and make a reinforcement plate that attaches with the cover bolts.  Basically a piece of flat iron with a couple holes in it.

Did you reuse the old oil pump?

Yes I did use the old pump but put a new regulator spring and gasket in it

Camshaft bearings are a common oil pressure loss point on a lot of engines. Also if you didn't check to see oil pump clearances  were in spec could be a problem. Hopefully it will be oil pump cover as some have suggested.

17 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Camshaft bearings are a common oil pressure loss point on a lot of engines. Also if you didn't check to see oil pump clearances  were in spec could be a problem. Hopefully it will be oil pump cover as some have suggested.

Thanks The oil pressure doesn't drop below 15 lbs I'll check the pump first.

So, you didn't replace the oil pump, didn't replace cam bearings.... what did you replace?  Just rod and main bearings?  Did you have the crank ground? 

You were misleading in your post.  This WAS NOT a "complete rebuild".  Oil pump and cam bearings would most definitely be replaced in a complete rebuild. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, J-Mech said:

So, you didn't replace the oil pump, didn't replace cam bearings.... what did you replace?  Just rod and main bearings?  Did you have the crank ground? 

You were misleading in your post.  This WAS NOT a "complete rebuild".  Oil pump and cam bearings would most definitely be replaced in a complete rebuild. 

sleeves pistons main bearings rod bearings that come in the complete over haul kit. Thats why I said complete over haul

39 minutes ago, OhioBob2020 said:

sleeves pistons main bearings rod bearings that come in the complete over haul kit. Thats why I said complete over haul

Well, that is not a complete overhaul, no matter if that is what the parts company called it.  You only replaced half the worn parts.  You can replace all that without even taking the engine out of the tractor.  

Hard to tell where you are "losing pressure" but the 15 psi you stated is well within acceptable oil pressure limits, especially at idle.  You only need 1 psi per 100 rpm, so at 2400 RPM if you have 24 lbs, you are fine.  Unless you want to tear it all down again and properly overhaul it, I wouldn't worry about it.

24 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Well, that is not a complete overhaul, no matter if that is what the parts company called it.  You only replaced half the worn parts.  You can replace all that without even taking the engine out of the tractor.  

Hard to tell where you are "losing pressure" but the 15 psi you stated is well within acceptable oil pressure limits, especially at idle.  You only need 1 psi per 100 rpm, so at 2400 RPM if you have 24 lbs, you are fine.  Unless you want to tear it all down again and properly overhaul it, I wouldn't worry about it.

OK Thanks

He might want to find out where leakage is because it could be oil starving some thing down stream.

Look at the valve train make sure its getting good flow 

And as Snoshoe said drop the pan pressurize the oil galley check the "leakage" i.e. drip test from the mains and rods you might be able to see the cam bearing drip as well. 

7 hours ago, OhioBob2020 said:

No I did not replace camshaft bearings

well there u go. u said complete engine rebuild. so u didn't do a complete job. a complete job is starting from a bare block on an engine stand.  boring or sleeve replacement. all  brgs. including cam brgs.  rings and valves is no way a complete job!  ooh i just rad some of the posts now and they pretty well say the same thing also.  a complete job is big money too.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, acem said:

15 psi is fine at idle but low for a rebuild.

If the crank was ground, and it had new cam bearings (and other high wear items) I would agree.  But 15 psi at idle is perfectly normal and acceptable given the work done to the engine. 

3 hours ago, OhioBob2020 said:

Don’t pay much attention to negative comments. Like has been mentioned oil pump is probably most of problem. Cam bearings run at 1/2 speed and lots of engines run for years with old cam bearings. . Hopefully you get it figured out.. 

10 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Don’t pay much attention to negative comments.

Negative comments?  You mean anything that you don't agree with, or what?  There are no "negative comments" in this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1