Probably a lot of you know about this----but in case you don't----I will post.  My buddy put me on to this----wish I had known about it 50 years ago.

First pic is before----- after soaking in common white distilled vinegar.  Be sure to wash in water after removing -----then put a primer on quick or it will rust pretty fast.  I use phosphoric acid 

DSCN6513.JPG

DSCN6547.JPG

• Like 2

Cool, i have used washing soda and a battery charger with a sacrificial anode. Also molasses and water works wonders. 
how long did you soak? 

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Cool, i have used washing soda and a battery charger with a sacrificial anode. Also molasses and water works wonders. 

Whaaaaat? I thought you were the maple syrup guy.☺️

16 minutes ago, cobfly said:

Whaaaaat? I thought you were the maple syrup guy.☺️

I never thought of that.. maybe i try it

That works fine, but the timing is everything. Vinegar (any acid) will continue to work (etch) even after the rust is gone, eating the good metal also.

I have gone to using evapo-rust. That stuff is AWESOME. I'm not a chemist, but it claims to only work on rust, and not virgin steel/iron. In my experience this seems to be absolutely true.

I got a 250 gal tote powdered soap and a little lie to take the paint off and battery charger been doing this for a number of years when I'm finished in the fall open the valve and let it empty out no harsh chemicals.

Boy, don't forget to take the parts out of the vinegar.  I have a super lightweight set of Buick power steering pulleys now due to my forgetting them in a vinegar bath for a few months.  So thin I can't use them. I was planning to put power steering on the Willys but now I have to find more pulleys.