Belt driven welders. Serpentine not flat

NoBelt driven welders anyone use one.

I've seen a few brands online but wondering if anyone has experience, 

I'll keep the sa 200 for big jobs but welding a brace and capping pipe. Are both quick and lower amp jobs

https://www.zena.net/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?db=product.dat&category=150Amp_Welders

Or

http://premierpowerwelder.com/shop/welding-systems/

Leaning toward a 150. Or 200 amp zena as most of my welding on a fence line is less than 100 amp.  Will be powered by around a 35 horsepower diesel.

Any experience how do they weld?

No actual experience welding with one but I know the Premier Power Welder has been the go-to in the off-road world for years and years. 

I would say your better off getting a belt drive generator and buying an electric welder.  Most of the one of kind stuff seems to be more of a gimmick when it comes to really work and the generator powers many things, including home back up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I remember we had an outbreak of things like this down here early on in auto alternators and I haven't heard of any in years.

A 35 hp diesel seems a lot for 200 amps?  But if you've got it then that is different.  An old Rotarc 250 amp DC welder lists as needing 15 hp at 2500 rpm.

For years my field welder was a Lincoln 225 Tombstone run from a 7.5 KVA alternator driven by a 16 hp single cylinder Briggs.  It handled 2.5 mm and 3.2 mm rods fine for the sort of jobs you mention.  Plus power obviously.  Worked fine until at about 40-odd years age the Lincoln let  the smoke out.

Now have a 200 amp weld/7 kva power alternator run by a 13 hp Honda'

Both AC I realise but they have stuck a lot of things together.

For remote use and trail fixing the alternator ones would save the day

no bulk to carry but there when you gotta have it

a smaller gas gen/welder would hold up better and sellable to a larger audience

easily found for the price or half of these units above

if your crafty you could make your own alternator welder.....

6 hours ago, AKwelder said:

I would say your better off getting a belt drive generator and buying an electric welder.  Most of the one of kind stuff seems to be more of a gimmick when it comes to really work and the generator powers many things, including home back up

I tried running my Miller 130 (120v) on a 6500w generator and it didn't work.  I have heard good things about the Zena welders but don't know anyone personally who has used one.

7 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

I remember we had an outbreak of things like this down here early on in auto alternators and I haven't heard of any in years.

A 35 hp diesel seems a lot for 200 amps?  But if you've got it then that is different.  An old Rotarc 250 amp DC welder lists as needing 15 hp at 2500 rpm.

For years my field welder was a Lincoln 225 Tombstone run from a 7.5 KVA alternator driven by a 16 hp single cylinder Briggs.  It handled 2.5 mm and 3.2 mm rods fine for the sort of jobs you mention.  Plus power obviously.  Worked fine until at about 40-odd years age the Lincoln let  the smoke out.

Now have a 200 amp weld/7 kva power alternator run by a 13 hp Honda'

Both AC I realise but they have stuck a lot of things together.

The 35 horse diesel is the engine on the rig I'll be running....

Biggest need is compact. The less space and weight the better.

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

The 35 horse diesel is the engine on the rig I'll be running....

Biggest need is compact. The less space and weight the better.

One of the Honda inverter generators are not to big, and they are light.  You could then run a small welder, the new ones are smaller than grandmas purse.  Less than 10% of the weight of the SA200 and it will burn a lot less fuel

and the Honda is quite enough to leave run at lunch.

10 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I tried running my Miller 130 (120v) on a 6500w generator and it didn't work.  I have heard good things about the Zena welders but don't know anyone personally who has used one.

Was it an inverter gen?

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

One of the Honda inverter generators are not to big, and they are light.  You could then run a small welder, the new ones are smaller than grandmas purse.  Less than 10% of the weight of the SA200 and it will burn a lot less fuel

and the Honda is quite enough to leave run at lunch.

My understanding is can't go inverter to inverter. My Lincoln mp 210 won't work off my Yamaha 2400 watt inverter, more than enough amps on 120, however runs fine on a non inverter gen with same power. There is some info on this scenario on rv forums.

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Why not just get an old Lincoln Weldanpower or something like that?

Weight and space mostly. I've worn out a couple old weldanpowers if it'll fit under the hood it's better...

Only one tank to fill up.

I forgot to mention around this area.

If you are looking at a suitcase welder and aim to run it from a gen set then read the small print on how big a set it needs.

I didn't when I got a 180 amp one - and found that it needs a minimum 9 kva gen set.  So I can't use it with the 7.5 kva set  that used to run the Tombstone.