Jump to content

Little excitement here this morning


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Mom and dad have been burning an aluminum can once every week or two. Throw it in on a hot bed of coals and add more wood. The aluminum supposedly gives off a gas that removes or prevents creosote buildup. 40 years later and never a chimney fire and rarely anything to clean out of the flue. 

A buddy of mine dose this he swears buy this  he said gives him an excuse to drink a beer for the cans to put in his stove

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad all wound up well.  I was home alone as a teenager once and we burned wood as our only heat source.  I heard what sounded like a jet engine. Coming from the fireplace (had a wood furnace and a fireplace). The fire was going nuts inside,  and I called the local fire department,  then threw the ladder up to the roof and poured a pail of water down.  Thank God the chimney was more than head high,  the blast of steam was crazy and scared the pants off me. I scalded my hand a bit but nothing else was hurt. The chimney flue even survived.  I didn't know any better.  We now have fire extinguisher sticks handy to throw in the woodburner, and we also clean the chimney regularly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Thought maybe at first you did find a thong in the kitchen... Or worse yet, she found one ........

Well, he did leave something turned on at home, but it wasn't what the song said it was supposed to be..............

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i told my girlfriend yesterday after we were gone to Woodland Park Saturday visiting my son and family this daylight savings time change is just a free hangover for me anymore

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

No can do on this one. Would have to dismantle the stove pipe.. and that is no easy task. The big chimney I can do easily from the basement, save for the important flue, it has a liner. That side of the house is no big deal. I am seriously thinking of buying some rock climbing gear, also doing it on nice days in the spring would make a difference! 

i take my pipe off every fall and clean out the stove internals and go UP the chimney with the fiberglass rods - fixin to do mine here soon

mine has two S curves in it so I dont ever risk it - its worth the extra time to pull of the stove pipes 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

My wife calls and said the stove won’t slow down, I came running in from the barn. Had a chimney fire! I have never personally had one, I keep chimneys immaculately clean and burn dry wood. We now have a wood cook stove, it’s not all that old, late 70’s maybe, but it is an old design, I hate the thing, but she loves it. It is fussy, inefficient, it has a fairly small fire box and an even smaller door, it requires wood no longer than 16” and ideally no more than 4” split. Anyway the house has a 4 flue brick chimney but this thing is on the other side, and has a metalbestos 6” chimney and the stove has a 5”  flu pipe. Somehow it got missed this year in cleaning.. I have about 5 to do, we got a new roof put on this summer, with all the hubbub I missed it. It didn’t actually plug, which is good because i was able i pull the fire out of the stove with minimal sootage, once the creosote went out I went about finding a new system to get to the chimney. The roofis a 6-12 pitch, when it was shingles I could walk it, now that it is standing seam.. not so much, It is a modified salt box house, one of those 70’s deals with a clear story, I was able to use a 12’ ladder section with a roof hook and by using my 32’ ladder was just able to reach the end of the roof ladder. The ground slopes away steeply from the house on that side, I don’t really mind heights... but let me tell you.. this is up there. I asked the MRS to come help me, also to possibly call the ambulance or coroner, needless to say she didn’t have to. End of the day I got it cleaned out, pulled a pile of creosote out, and didn’t die, I didn’t even have to spend too much time up there while it was raining! Always fun!!

106B32C2-B1D2-41D7-92C0-972F02223130.jpeg

glad you guys are ok and no house fire, it can be scary for sure,  been around two of them and both were a mad panic - got both out with fire extinguishers and garden hoses but lotsa mess to clean up - one at my uncles one at my buddies place 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...