Farmall 656 gas tractor engine is struggling to turn over

n-heptane

I have a 1969 Farmall 656 gas tractor w/ 5-speed transmission that I'm having trouble getting to start.  I try to start it, but the engine only turns over once and then no longer turns over.  I checked my battery: it's in good condition.  What could I try doing next to troubleshoot?

Does it turn over once each time you hit the starter or did it turn over once and no more?

Basic stuff in case you haven't tried yet:

Did you load test your battery or just get 12v on a multimeter? You could try a known good battery. 

All cables and connections clean? Baking soda works well to clean

Cables swollen may mean unseen corrosion inside jacket.

Like J-Mech said, check for power at you starter first.
I don't know how your starter is connected, but check if it is grounded properly. We have a 1466 that had a similar problem: started would turn over hard or not at all. Changed batteries and cable, nothing better. Our started was grounded via the frame. In the end, we layed an cable to the battery to ground the starter that way and it worked again. 
I would also check if the starter itself hasn't died...

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 8:38 PM, n-heptane said:

I have a 1969 Farmall 656 gas tractor w/ 5-speed transmission that I'm having trouble getting to start.  I try to start it, but the engine only turns over once and then no longer turns over.  I checked my battery: it's in good condition.  What could I try doing next to troubleshoot?

if you have full power going to the starter then its very possible you need the starter overhauled. most likely the brushes are worn out plus the bushings.

Does the engine roll over fine and stop like it is jammed?   Is the oil level rising and thin?  Possible the engine is fuel locked.   If your carb needle valve is stuck or leaking, it may be possible for fuel to run into the engine, and sit on the piston.   Sometimes the little "drain" ports to prevent that get plugged.   Pull the air intake hose off the carb after its been sitting a while, and see if gas runs out.

Clean connections. I'd looks good at battery cables while doing so. If everything appears good there, see what the amp draw is. I don't know for sure, but I would think it should be in the 100 amp range. If all seems good, then I'd be looking to see if starter is in the bore square and tight. Also make sure the bushing in the end of the nose cone is good. Could be fuel, pull plugs out and try to turn over. Could also be you just have a very weak starter or battery. Lots of variables. 

and have you even thought to make sure the hydraulic controls are in neutral ? if not you will be loading up the starter and no way she will start. plus your post is poor for info.  is it turning over once every time you try it? or turns over once and thats it?  post exactly what you do and what tractor does. plus when looking for info stay in touch till the problem is fixed,... not ask, then fall of the earth! see lots of that going on.

Okay, finally back to revisit this (sorry, I've been traveling).  Anyway, yes, I will try some of these things (check connections, make sure hydraulic controls are in neutral, etc.) when I get back to the tractor next weekend.  And, just to confirm, the engine turns over once each time I press the starter.  There were multiple tries of the engine turning over once after I pressed the starter.  I do need to replace the original battery, but I got the same results when I tried a new donor battery with the same CCA rating.

24 minutes ago, n-heptane said:

Okay, finally back to revisit this (sorry, I've been traveling).  Anyway, yes, I will try some of these things (check connections, make sure hydraulic controls are in neutral, etc.) when I get back to the tractor next weekend.  And, just to confirm, the engine turns over once each time I press the starter.  There were multiple tries of the engine turning over once after I pressed the starter.  I do need to replace the original battery, but I got the same results when I tried a new donor battery with the same CCA rating.

i thought before u said the cables were getting hot?... so that means battery is good, cables are good. did you feel the starter?it will be warm also.  starter is next to check, then the engine for stiffness, but check those hyd. levers first thing.  and when you try it are you holding the starter after the one revolution? hope not. or are you releasing it and retrying it and it turns once more , then release starter. so much back and forth on this battery thing , either its good or no good.  now its ... the tractor has been sitting. well that another story again.  also once you get to the tractor then start posting results of your findings. 

22 hours ago, rustred said:

i thought before u said the cables were getting hot?... so that means battery is good, cables are good. did you feel the starter?it will be warm also.  starter is next to check, then the engine for stiffness, but check those hyd. levers first thing.  and when you try it are you holding the starter after the one revolution? hope not. or are you releasing it and retrying it and it turns once more , then release starter. so much back and forth on this battery thing , either its good or no good.  now its ... the tractor has been sitting. well that another story again.  also once you get to the tractor then start posting results of your findings. 

Correct, the cables were getting hot.  I did not feel the starter for warmth.  I will be sure to do that, in additional to the other recommendations mentioned.  I did not hold the starter button in after the engine stopped turning over once.  Rather, I waited a few minutes and then tried the starter button again.  Will definitely report back on findings once I can get back to the tractor next weekend.