( In Family Since New) Display 2022 Red Power Roundup Ohio !

Whats in the barn ?

If I may humbly make a suggestion, have some sort of standard format questionnaire, or guided writing of the story for the owners, so we the visitors can see/read the history of the machine when we're there. Elements I'd include are

1. Where bought vs. where now, so we can see how they've traveled
  2. Original job for the machine vs. job today, even if just a parade machine or spare
  3. How many owners within the family since new
  4. Major work or restoration since new
  5. Original purchase price, if available.
  6. What the machine replaced.
  7. was it almost ever lost to someone outside the family? In other words, did a family member have to buy it at auction?
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking for more for the display ????

• Like 1

Keeping them coming !!!!  Want to see more storys of In family since new tractors !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for more for display ???

I wish I had some photos of Grandpa with his 1086. Tractor is still in the family along with owners manual and warranty card with his name but I’ve never found a picture with that tractor in it. 

I cannot bring the tractor to the show but here is my story about it.

The Farmall 826 that I have was purchased new by my father from TRYAC Truck and Equipment in Riverhead, NY. I do not know the price he paid or the exact date of purchase. I do know that it was delivered to the farm sometime during the winter of 1972-73. Interestingly, the serial number indicates that it was made in late 1970. Why there was that much time in between is unknown to me.

We had mostly Oliver tractors up until then and I don’t know if my father considered buying an Oliver at that time or not. I do know that he had talked to the John Deere dealer who was putting up the 4000 as the competing model.

I was seventeen at the time and on many days after school that winter I walked up to the barn where it was parked. I’d stand there, looking in awe of this big, new, shiny red IH tractor that had more muscle than any other tractor we had until then. Dad bought the 826 to be his new plow tractor and bought an IH rollover plow to go with it. It replaced the Oliver Streamline style gas 88 that had served him so well over the years.

Three things about the 826 stand out in my mind. First, it was very hard to start in cold weather. Second was that it was very efficient in fuel use. Lastly, to my knowledge, it was pretty trouble free with no major repairs needed.

In 2007 my father decided it was finally time to stop farming and have an auction of all his trucks, tractors and equipment. He decided to keep the 826 and a rotary mower to keep the edges of the farm trimmed up. He also kept one of his Oliver 77s that had a bucket loader on it, “in case he needed to push some dirt around”. I had moved away more than twenty years earlier but came home to help my father get the equipment cleaned up and ready for the auction.

It was difficult watching as the tractors, equipment and trucks were sold off; each a small part of the younger man that had enjoyed driving and operating them during his days on the farm. I told myself that I was not going to miss the chance to keep the 826. I called my father and said I wanted to buy it from him whenever he was done with it. “As far as I’m concerned, you can have it when I’m done with it” was his reply.

After my father passed away eight years later, I made arrangements to have the 826 and the 77 hauled six hours away to where I live in Pennsylvania. I built a second garage at my house to keep both tractors in and serve as a shop in which I would start to restore them both when I retired. So far I have spent most of my time working on the 77 which was in need of more repairs. I will eventually get working on the 826 and once again stand and look at that big, red, shiny IH tractor; maybe not so much in awe this time, but more to embrace my heritage. I have since been able to reacquire our other Oliver 77 that my father sold in 2007. But the 826 is still the only one that has continuously been in the family since my father bought it new.

The photo of the 826 with the 370 disk was taken at the home farm in 2002. The photo of it parked in my shop was taken in 2019. The photo of my brother (standing) and I was taken in 2016, a few months before I hauled it to its current home.

826 and 370 Disk.JPG

826 in Shop.JPG

DSC08498.JPG

• Like 8

Pretty nice original, I would be hard pressed to restore it. I like them in their working clothes but that is just me. 

On 11/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, rcb said:

Cool idea! We have tractors that have been in the family for 50 years, but none were bought new. It was rare for any of us to even buy a new appliance. Heck, even now we only have 1 appliance bought new :D

I think it would be really cool, particularly with photos and receipts, etc..

I'm in the same situation. I have the 1948 Farmall M my dad saw the day it was delivered new to a neighbour of his employer at that time.  Dad bought it in a bought 1958 so its been owned by us for 62 years. Also have his Super W6TA diesel he bought in 1976. Neither will be in Ohio.

The idea of the display is great  and should create a lot of interest. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Pretty nice original, I would be hard pressed to restore it. I like them in their working clothes but that is just me. 

I had a guy come and detail the 786 I sold last spring. It wasn't quite as faded as John's 826, but he made it pretty close to what it looked like when it rolled off the line in '81 Cost me 200.00. Was well worth it. A good detailer could make John's 826 look day and night difference if a person wants to keep the original paint. 

• Like 1

John, your father took excellent care of the 826, as evident by the photos.   By all means, provide the tractor with what ever maintenance it requires: belts, hoses, fluids, filters. However, I urge you to preserve the tractor as it is.  So few machines were cared for that well and remain looking that nice.  It would be a tribute to your father to leave it preserved as he cared for it.  Congratulations for keeping dad's tractor in the family!

• Like 1

Heres a idea ???  I thought of even if you cant bring your ( In family since new tractor ) to show for display . But are going to come to show without tractor .. Bring your pictures and stories and talk to people in the display about it.. Would love to hear the storys and enjoy the pictures would be very well received by all... I think !!!!  Its about the familys that keep them too all those years too !!  Cant wait till 2022 RPRU !!!  See you there !!!

• Like 1

I have an H, Super M and a 1066 my Uncle purchased new.   Dad and Grandpa never had anything new, just low hour trade in machines.  May have to consider bringing the H or SM, but they both need lots of love.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 9:42 PM, Whats in the barn ? said:

Talked to Director of 2022 Red Power Roundup In Ohio. And they are going to have a Place and Display !  For tractors (That Have Been In Family Since New ) . And the story behind them. Its now in planning stages. . I will be helping with the display and gathering people interested in showing there tractors in the display?  I know its early to start to have interest in this but it could take sometime to get all interested gathered and see whos coming to show with there tractors to put in the display .. Will try to have a flyer to put in the forum about details made soon. Those who might have interest in displaying there tractors in display .  PM me . Thanks Dave

Very cool!

I keep seeing that the Cub will be celebrated (75th anniversary) and I've messaged a couple people but please don't forget the Super A will be 75 in '22 as well!

I have a Super A that would meet "in the family since new."  '22 is a long way out but I might be interested in showing.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some more for display  ???