My next project: 284

Well guys, I'm still working on the tractor.  I had to wait on the machine shop to get me some parts made to fix the carburetor.  They got them to me a few weeks ago but I ran into an issue with their fitment.  I think I've got it all taken care of now.  Hopefully I can get the carb on it this next week.  

In the meantime, I've been keeping my eye out for equipment to fit the tractor.  I found a plow in Louisville, KY and decided to go pick it up.  When i got down there, the guy had a 2 row cultivator sitting near the plow.  I was able to make a deal on it too, so it got loaded up as well!  I already had a 2 row cultivator that grandad had built up out of I believe an old 6 row, but it was missing several parts, and was on a big toolbar.  This one is an actual 2 row.  It's missing the depth wheels, but I can pull those off the other cultivator.  Between them both, I can make one really nice one I think.  I'll have to figure out the model of the cultivator, but it and the plow are both the ones in the sales literature for the 284.  The plow is a 420, 2-14" plow.  No, he didn't have the coulters, but I think I can get a set of those as well from a local guy.  I will put up better pics when I get them unloaded. Long day.  Louisville is about a 4 hour drive from me. 

20210123_133025.thumb.jpg.245c853f63fe4f2d5fea70cd2a71a1b4.jpg20210123_133028.thumb.jpg.8154a14195e2e22b69b0156b1412b2cd.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/18/2021 at 7:31 PM, Mr. Plow said:

"Tri-stripe" 284s were released with the tri-stripe 86 series.

Can't be many around......

20210118_223323.jpg

That looks like a fun little mowing rig.  Kind of like the last IH version of mowing with my C and axle-mounted pitman mower, or an A or whatever.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, J-Mech said:

Well guys, I'm still working on the tractor.  I had to wait on the machine shop to get me some parts made to fix the carburetor.  They got them to me a few weeks ago but I ran into an issue with their fitment.  I think I've got it all taken care of now.  Hopefully I can get the carb on it this next week.  

In the meantime, I've been keeping my eye out for equipment to fit the tractor.  I found a plow in Louisville, KY and decided to go pick it up.  When i got down there, the guy had a 2 row cultivator sitting near the plow.  I was able to make a deal on it too, so it got loaded up as well!  I already had a 2 row cultivator that grandad had built up out of I believe an old 6 row, but it was missing several parts, and was on a big toolbar.  This one is an actual 2 row.  It's missing the depth wheels, but I can pull those off the other cultivator.  Between them both, I can make one really nice one I think.  I'll have to figure out the model of the cultivator, but it and the plow are both the ones in the sales literature for the 284.  The plow is a 420, 2-14" plow.  No, he didn't have the coulters, but I think I can get a set of those as well from a local guy.  I will put up better pics when I get them unloaded. Long day.  Louisville is about a 4 hour drive from me. 

20210123_133025.thumb.jpg.245c853f63fe4f2d5fea70cd2a71a1b4.jpg20210123_133028.thumb.jpg.8154a14195e2e22b69b0156b1412b2cd.jpg

Nice score, I’d like to find a two bottom plow like that but there aren’t many close that I’ve seen here in CO

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Nice score, I’d like to find a two bottom plow like that but there aren’t many close that I’ve seen here in CO

Thanks!

I couldn't find any in southern Illinois either.  That's why I went to Kentucky to get it.  There are just some things that sold and are more popular in different areas. This small equipment is actually not too hard to find in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, parts of Georgia, North Carolina and the Virginia's.  In Illinois, we outgrew 2 bottom plows and two row cultivators once there were tractors big enough to pull bigger equipment.  No one really bought more modern small equipment, even for gardening.  They just did it by hand, or with tillers or Cub Cadets or even Farmall Cubs.  I've got at least 2, maybe 3, more pieces I really want.  I even have all 3 found, but I'm not made of money, lol.  I want an 8' or 10' disk, a late model 56 2 row planter or a 2 row 400 plate planter, and I'd kind of like to have an 8' drill.  I've found all of them.  Disk is local.  Planter is in Iowa, drill is in Kentucky I think.  Don't remember now.  Other advantage to going where what you want is plentiful, and still used, is you get better condition and better price.  I paid less for the plow and cultivator than most 2 bottom plows sell for locally to me.  It was worth the day trip. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...