My next project: 284

1 hour ago, nate said:

My dad bought one not too long ago.  My kids and the other grandkids like driving it around.    It has power steering someone added.   Makes a handy little yard tractor.  

Nice! 

Can you post a picture of the power steering? I'm planning on adding it to mine because I want to put a loader on it.  I think I know how I'm going to do it, but would like to see what the guy did on yours.  Does it work well?  Power steering was optional on them. 

Awesome @nate!

That is exactly how I was going to do it to.  Side cylinder with a long drag link.  I might even call that number and see if they still offer it. But i can easily fab it up if they don't.  Thank you!

One other question: It looks like the main hydraulic line was cut and feeds the steering first, then return from steering reattaches to the main line to feed the hitch.  Is that how they tied it all together?

You would have to pipe it that way for the internal priority valve in the hand pump to have priority over the other functions.

Same as the hyd diagram for a SGT Cub.

9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Awesome @nate!

That is exactly how I was going to do it to.  Side cylinder with a long drag link.  I might even call that number and see if they still offer it. But i can easily fab it up if they don't.  Thank you!

One other question: It looks like the main hydraulic line was cut and feeds the steering first, then return from steering reattaches to the main line to feed the hitch.  Is that how they tied it all together?

Yes that is how it is plumbed.   Another pic for clarity

E03868B4-E894-4083-AABB-173B65DC41D2.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

You would have to pipe it that way for the internal priority valve in the hand pump to have priority over the other functions.

Same as the hyd diagram for a SGT Cub.

Right, I know, but the 284's with factory power steering had an added priority/flow divider valve just ahead of the gearshift.  I didn't see an added valve in his pics, so assumed there wasn't. 

Personally, I would like to switch the pump out for a larger one for the addition of a loader, so I will likely go with a priority/flow divider.   

27 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Got it, but many of those small hand pumps have the priority valve built in.

But they can only handle so much flow.  I'll just have to look at desired flow to see which way to go.

I have a few handpumps off cyclops cubs I was thinking of using.  On a CC they move that cylinder in 2.5-3 turns.  If I used a larger cylinder, that would get ratio close to what I'd want.  Thoughts Steve? I'm not committed, just thinking aloud at this point. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

What's the gpm on a 284 hyd system?  Can't be much.

Do you have a PN on the hand pump?, see what it flow rated for.

Pump output on a both the gas and diesel tractors with no power steering is right at 6 gpm.  Not much. 

Pump output on a gas w/power steering is 7.6 gpm.  Diesel w/power steering is 7.1 gpm.  So, just a touch more. 

If the tractor has power steering, the flow divider valve supplied 1 gpm to the steering circuit as priority.  

I don't have the PN off the hand pumps right off hand.  Easy to get.  I can research all that when the time comes though.  I'm just focused on getting it up and running right now.  I got this week off work, so hoping to get the head pulled and dig the screw out of the piston.  Maybe get it split and start working on fixing the brakes.  I've got paying jobs lined up too, so this will be as I have time.  Obviously, holiday week, so I've got family in as well.  Happy Thanksgiving to all! 

Monday I got to work on the tractor for a few hours.  I got the head pulled.  The guys told me they had shut it down as soon as the knock started.  After removing the head, I believe them.  At any RPM it would bang around several times before getting it shut down.  They did a good job of getting it killed.  Screw broke off at the head.  Threads laying loose on the edge of the piston, the head was embedded on the edge in a another spot.  Minimal damage.  Check it out. 

20201123_125146.thumb.jpg.984b25ef3cad14bbb9f03cc23dffc932.jpg20201123_124835.thumb.jpg.93993d63dcc273e354226ec4fa41a736.jpg20201123_124843.thumb.jpg.1408dca4fda3a24be493f57e09363aac.jpg

1459432694_2020-11-2422_01_35.thumb.jpg.4f6e6375da7f8a3e2fe43874d2c65bf1.jpg

However, as you all can see, the tractor doesn't look like it saw the inside of a shed much in its life.  It has underslung exhaust, and all the hoods are intact, but the cylinders show signs of water intrusion pretty bad.  If it was just discoloration, it wouldn't bother me.  Number 3 cylinder is the worst.  The pitting is pretty deep.  I'm waiting on my guy to get back to me on a price on an overhaul kit.  I figure I will price it, and if it is "reasonable", go ahead and bore it out and rebuild it.  On this project, "reasonable" would be $400 or less.  If it is over that, I will just put it back together and run it as is and see how it goes.  Worst case scenario it burns oil.  It's not like I'm going to be farming with it.  I can overhaul it later.  The rest of the machine needs quite a bit of work, and I've only got so many dollars set aside for initial repairs.  I'm fine with going back into it later.  I'm sure you guys understand.  I'd rather get it running and everything else fixed and overhaul it next winter than run out of money and it sit until I can fix it all.  Anyway, here's a look at the cylinder.  

20201123_125601.thumb.jpg.b08507a087a30eef5b9abbc5180d54f9.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

So how was the water getting into the cylinder, condensation? I wouldn't think just in one spot. Or was the gasket bad there? It looks pretty good.

Condensation, yes. The head gasket was perfect.

Some years ago I was asked to do a complete overhaul on a David Brown 990. Bores looked worse than yours. His idea of complete overhaul was new rings and big end bearings!  Incredibly it’s still running 5000hours later. As you said oil consumption was the problem. Exhaust was a little smoky but he was happy. Interesting project. I have never seen one. I knew IH had a tie up with komatsu but that stuff is pretty rare in the Uk. 
good luck with your project. I’m sure with your knowledge and experience it will turn out very well!

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a sold plan to me.  (Although I vote to hone on them right in place, new rings, and runnnnnn it).

we had a David Brown 880 when I was a kid. What a tough tough tractor. It’s was 35 maybe 40hp? It’s all we had.... dad would strap it to a sileage blower, new holland whirl-a-feed 28, and it would set there and bounce up and down filling a 60’ silo.  Years later, we ran blowers with 150hp.....no idea how that little white tractor ever did it.  Ran the wagons slow. 

A neighbor still has a 990 that I can assure you has hadThe Most abused/neglected/abused/neglected, did I say abused? How about neglected? Life that any machine could have. It smoked like a chimney and had No hood on it....30 years ago. And it’s still going. 

I mean..... the bell housing bolts came loose and the tractor literally broken in two. Like I believe it actually fell on the ground.  It sat for a few years... then it appeared back in the field again.  With its castings Welded up.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some cleaning and such on the tractor while trying to locate engine parts.  Another member here put me onto a company that might have parts and I contacted them.  They did have parts.  Liners, pistons, rings and bearings and some of the gaskets.  I asked how much.... $1600.  Told them I'd think on it.  Now, if the tractor was running and I had been using it for years and knew what it needed... ok.  But to dump that much into it at this stage would mean full on commitment to a complete repair front to back, and I have no idea what others problems are lurking.  For all I know, the hydraulics don't work and it could have a chipped tooth in the transmission.  So, I'm sourcing gaskets to put it back together so I can run it and see where everything else stands.  Then, if I end up back in the engine, I end up back in the engine.  Considered even just bolting it back together with the old head gasket so I could test everything else out, and may still.  It's not hard to take the head off.  Took me less than 30 minutes once the hoods were off.  I really want to know where the rest of the machine is before committing to big dollars in the engine.  Nothing lost this way if I find more big issues. 

I'm trying to catch up on jobs for other people I fell behind on during harvest, but I recently got a 14 day "vacation", so I might have time to get to the tractor in the next few days, lol. 

10 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Good luck with the 284, j-mech!! I like using mine on a hay tedder and rake, and a 5' IH 3pt mower. Looking for a tiller and several other tools for it.

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

Nice tractor! 

I've never seen one with red front and rear center rims.  Also, your rear rim ring is silver.  All I've ever seen is white.  Did you paint it like that? 

Thanks for the compliment, no I didn't paint anything on it. I bought it in 2009 with 213 original 1 owner hours. The guy told me that he traded the original front tires for the worn down ones that are on it because they tore up the sod when turning.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ever get her going? On your power steering, don't see why the cyclops valve wouldn't work. Iirc it has priority or a power beyond type built into it. Aren't the sunstrand pumps around 5gpm? Higher relief pressure might be hard on old seals tho?? Rebuild kit!!

Looks like it could be a handy little tractor!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

Ever get her going?

I have not.  The last 2 weeks of last year were very busy for me.  Had some other jobs come up to do, and the holidays took time of course.  I did get the piston and head cleaned up and the motor bolted back together.  Then went after the broken carburetor, the failed part that caused the internal damage.  I got it disassembled, cleaned, bead blasted and began assembly.  Then I figured out the kit I bought wasn't for this exact version of this carb.  I found 2 parts in the kit that didn't match.  One gasket, and the new accelerator pump.  The gasket I can make, no big deal.  I decided that I could get the seal off the new pump and put it on the old one.  (The new one was the correct diameter, incorrect length and style.)  Well..... I broke the stem on the old pump in my attempt to disassemble it.  I incorrectly determined the stem was threaded onto the plunger.  It was pressed on.  In my attempt to unscrew it, the stem broke.  Then I ruined another machined part after that before deciding to try and press it apart.  (Ok, drive it apart.)  Anyway... machine shop made me new parts and they are ready to be picked up.  Just got the call today.  Plan to pick them up in the morning and proceed as soon as time allows.  

As far as power steering goes, I'm just focused on getting it usable for now.  But I will add it in the future.  

In the meantime, a few pics.

20201212_150608.thumb.jpg.1b53074531f60841b840000b8d63ab75.jpg20201213_132357.thumb.jpg.31c9a1b4fd5565671edea7a4fd295d2a.jpg20201213_132410.thumb.jpg.d2f515cf486f14759532410159a349bc.jpg20201216_182649.thumb.jpg.dcb57db0171ed1b93fa2da6a44faa2c3.jpg

• Like 2