Those who know me here know I work for my cousins on their farm.  I grew up on a farm, but decided to go into mechanics.  About 2 yeats after finishing school I started my own business, opening an independent mechanic shop in my small hometown.  Over the years, as a lot of independent shop owners do, I bought and sold different things.  I worked on anything, but spent a lot of time working on farm, oilfield and industrial equipment, heavy duty trucks and even railroad equipment.  So, naturally I sometimes bough and resold equipment too.  Over the years, even if for only a few hours, I've owned a combine, a big Hough payloader, case backhoe, a couple tractors, and several cars trucks and heavy trucks.  I started collecting Cub Cadets in about 2013 or so and ended up with a 185 Lo-Boy.  I really thought I wanted one.  Well.... it turned out that I really didn't like it.  Mine had 3pt hitch and did have a Woods belly mower I never even put on it.  Took it off when I brought it home.  The tractor was either too big, or too small for the work I needed it to do.  The wheelbase isn't adjustable on the Lo-Boy and it was too wide to straddle a single 30" row in my garden, and too narrow to straddle two rows.  Yes, I could have adjusted my row width, but 30" rows, like is standard in the fields, work well for my garden and I didn't want to change it.  I wanted rear PTO attachments, but as most know, the rear PTO on a Cub/Lo-Boy are pretty much their own special thing, so finding IH equipment to put on them takes a lot of time and effort..... and usually money..... to find and aquire them.  What I needed was a bigger tractor.  A "real" tractor with adjustable width wheelbase, cat 1 3ph, a true 540 rear PTO and something with a few more gears.  Of course I wanted an IH tractor, but what?  I borrowed a 656 from the farm for some garden work and liked it... and I still want one.... but for other chores I wanted a tractor for it was too big.  I really want a SCUT, but they aren't really a row crop, or good for that kind of work.  Although they are kind of a 1 of a kind machine too, I decided a 284 would fit the bill nicely.  I don't make tons of money, so I have to be choosy how I spend my money.  I almost always look for "mechanic special" machines.  I've aquire a lot of my equipment through "horse trades", trading labor on a job or something I had for something I wanted.  Within the last week I found a 284 needing engine work and was able to trade off my Lo-Boy, a parts 154 Lo-Boy and the belly mower for a 284, rear blade and a Briny 3pt disk that will eventually go on my 982 Cub Cadet.  The 284 is rough, but if any of you remember the 4586 I rebuilt up at the farm a couple winters back, it kind of reminds me of that.  Only, not 1/10th of the tractor to have to crawl up on, lol. I'll continue my story a bit later, but for now here's a few pics from the drive home last night. 

I do not know if the hour meter works, but like the 4586, it appears this tractor was not used a lot, just not well cared for.  Seems to have sat out majority of its life.  I can fix it though, lol. 

20201029_204500.thumb.jpg.1be693ec67125834e71840c8332be50f.jpg20201029_204510.thumb.jpg.592893942b12e0af1edfdd3b88b74477.jpg20201029_204549.thumb.jpg.9c14d252ecf33b67a83ab1ca31202aeb.jpg20201029_204618.thumb.jpg.bf505551b5f13b80651c6e3c4480a40f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those who know me here know I work for my cousins on their farm.  I grew up on a farm, but decided to go into mechanics.  About 2 yeats after finishing school I started my own business, opening an ind

My dad bought one not too long ago.  My kids and the other grandkids like driving it around.    It has power steering someone added.   Makes a handy little yard tractor.  

Good luck with the 284, j-mech!! I like using mine on a hay tedder and rake, and a 5' IH 3pt mower. Looking for a tiller and several other tools for it.

Posted Images

I have passed on many 185s, old tractor in more modern clothes. I like your new project!The engine work? whats it need? are they hard to find parts for? I have never been around a 284

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, hillman said:

I have passed on many 185s, old tractor in more modern clothes. I like your new project!The engine work? whats it need? are they hard to find parts for? I have never been around a 284

Thanks!

This is a gas tractor.  The 284 was offered originally in gasoline only, but a diesel was added in 1981.  The gas motor is a Mazda 71.3 ci (1.2L) M4-71G.  Apparently, Mazda also put it in automobiles, so parts are available.   The tractor itself was built by Komatsu.  Parts for the chassis are scarce to non existant.  But several of the big salvage yards show these in their lot, so hoping I can find some of the things I already know I need, like a left fender.  

Supposedly the engine started knocking, the they parked it and didn't run it anymore.  I haven't tried to start it.  If it needs rebuilt, it will get rebuilt.  I just gave it a bath.  Honestly, I only saw minor signs of any leaks.  The engine oil looks fairly fresh.  Not dark at all.  

Just some more information for those interested:  The 284 had a cousin in the IH lineup, the 274.  The 274 was the same tractor, only built as an offset tractor.  It replaced the Farmall/International Cub in 1979.  The 274 appears to only have been offered in diesel.  

The 284 was offered as a 2wd or FWA tractor. 

• Like 2

Looks like a perfect size for round the yard work .

you being a mechanic rebuilding it will be no issue .

I would expect to see it purring and looking good in a few months .

good luck , hope you let us follow your project 

tony

• Thanks 1

I completely understand the mechanics specials.  My 6 year old daughter asked me how come everything I buy, I have to work on to get it running.

Looks like a good garden tractor.  Sheet metal is straight.  To me, that means it wasn't abused too bad.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Big tractor styling in a small package always appealed to me. 👍🏼👍🏼

It did to me too. 

I think that 1978/9 was when IH finally got it together.  That was when the 82 series Cub Cadets came out (1979).  Painted red with grilles to match the entire lineup.  84 series rolled out in 1978.  The IH Cub and Cub Lo-Boy were rolled into that series (84 series) of machines all with a new look, all red, and all with that same grill (1979).  The 86 series was next up (1976, but they were in full swing in 78/79) and I thought it was so cool that our 782 Cub Cadet matched out 1486!  Next up. the 88 series 2+2's and the big dog 43/45/4786 tractors.  If you had lined up every tractor IH made from the 482 all the way up to the 4786, they all had the same paint scheme, similar decals, and that same grille.  FINALLY, every tractor looked the same.  

• Like 5

Thanks everyone.  I haven't even gotten it unloaded off the trailer yet.  Went back to the field yesterday shelling corn.  Big day today with another very large project that I also would like to share with you guys on here.  Wish me luck today.  Maybe tonight I can share pictures of this other project. 

I hope you have great luck with it! I think they are a cool little tractor.  I understand about the "mechanic specials."  That's how everything goes around here.  My little girl,  Anastasia said one time "That's a nice truck Daddy,  I wonder how long it took to build?"  It was just a regular newer Chevy.  She assumed everyone builds their own trucks and tractors.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys!  I also hope this one can turn out as good as the 4586.  That one turned out really well.  

I finally got around to unloading the tractor off the trailer tonight.  Hoping to maybe get to taking the hoods off and taking a look at the engine over the weekend.  We're still finishing harvest, and it's dry enough to still be able to work ground, so I'm doing fall tillage.  Also, the project I mentioned in my last post is probably going to take precident due to a deadline on it, so it might be January before I really get rolling on this one.  I'll keep you guys updated! 

...back in the tobacco days..and later,  neighbour   had    one of those little  tractors...I believe it had a  Nissan diesel..it continually was his "go to ' tractor for all the small chores that never end, no matter what type of farm is being run.....It was eventually  sold at a clearing sale this bloke had...still running well, years later..Good little tractors

Good luck with that J-Mech...I have no doubt you have that up and running well before long...

Mike

• Like 2

Well, it has been eating me alive not getting to the tractor and at least giving it an in depth look, so last night about 9:30 went down to the shop and started crawling over it.  

It is rough, but I knew that buying it.  Overall I think it's pretty straight.  Several things need addresses.  Broken shift lever on the high low, a motorcycle muffler on it, seat basically non existent, PTO lever "modified" or "repaired". Left fender broke loose at the base from what appears to be battery acid rot.  I'm rolling an idea around about that though.  We'll see how much money I have to spend.  Found an electric fuel pump that was very haphazardly installed.... note the bare wires.  They put a toggle switch direct wired to the battery to run it.  No fuse, and bare connections.  Some were touching bare metal.  Good thing the battery is dead.  Tach cable is broken, which explains the extreme low hours, however I still feel that the hours are not super high.  I expect over 1000 but less than 2000.  No way to know.  All wiring will have to be replaced. 

513.thumb.jpg.aa110d1403901b65e48245d4570f44b6.jpg514.thumb.jpg.d7a0090580315e389485049f194d03df.jpg519.thumb.jpg.e48583ee02a1965b709416284bddc8b6.jpg524.thumb.jpg.18303878a499b5a17def081c08d6a2e5.jpg521.thumb.jpg.9fb7a59b17860dd8f78d0e4300b3e2c4.jpg528.thumb.jpg.ad5045c81c2d0dbe59f1df2241497092.jpg529.thumb.jpg.9649b33e1adba259a29988212f77e87d.jpg516.thumb.jpg.46b504d8ce73608d9b7556e4fc26416d.jpg

I've got a weight bracket for a 90's CIH compact tractor (1140) and a full set of weights.  I'm going to use that weight bracket and weights.  Maybe some day I can find the proper IH one and a set of the 70# weights for it.  We've got several 70# weights at the farm.  Maybe I can talk them into selling me some. 

530.thumb.jpg.836b916d0c70a1adc685b7723ae8827e.jpg

Last, and most importantly, the guys I got it off of told me up front that the engine suddenly started knocking, so they parked it.  I was hoping it wouldn't be a major failure, and I am sure that I found the source of the knock.  Should be a pretty minor fix.  Screw came out of the choke butterfly.  Hoping I can fish it out a spark plug hole and keep from having to open the motor up.  I'll keep you guys updated!! 

531.thumb.jpg.cadf76d256d26a0f429a915547b5d183.jpg

If it's knocking from the screw falling in, it's probably banged around on top of the piston.  I would pull the head to be on the safe side.  A new piston may be in order. I would also pull the pan and check clearance on all the rods and mains.  Just my opinion. Good luck with it, it looks like a really cool tractor. 

4 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Bore scope down plug holes? 

Yes, I think I'm going to try and fish it out without pulling the head. 

8 hours ago, Frank H said:

If it's knocking from the screw falling in, it's probably banged around on top of the piston.  I would pull the head to be on the safe side.  A new piston may be in order. I would also pull the pan and check clearance on all the rods and mains.  Just my opinion. Good luck with it, it looks like a really cool tractor. 

Thanks, I think it will suit my needs perfectly! 

As far as the piston, I'll make a decision once I look inside.  I've got 25 years experience building engines.  I'm sure can recognize damage that is necessary to repair. 

• Like 1

Got my service manual from Peaceful Creek today.  I will never stop advocating for this company.  They sell very high quality reprint manuals.  If you need any manual, service, parts, owners... check with Peaceful Creek FIRST.   Send them an email if you don't see the manual you need listed.  I've done this in the past and they printed me one and had in on my doorstep within a week.  Awesome company guys! 

20201109_195707.thumb.jpg.5ae4164e513327e5d5793ffc1d6cffea.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, at this stage in the game, I've really not made a lot of progress, but have spent quite a bit of time working on, looking at, and doing research on the 284.  The 284 being a Komastu built tractor is not one I have worked on, only seen over the years.  I only know that these little tractors seem to run indefinitely with not much other than general maintenence, and that new parts are very scarce for them, and, that so far I haven't had much luck finding the used parts I need except for some salvage place in Ohio who apparently thinks there isn't a part on this tractor worth less than $250.  I understand how the salvage market works, but I don't think that any used part should cost 80% of new, even if the part is NLA.  The brake master cylinders for example.  They are NLA from CIH (no surprises there) but all they are is a remote reservoir clutch master cylinder, or very small brake ms.  I can find at least 20 viable replacement options none of which is more than $100 each, most less than $50.  Same Ohio salvage yard claims to have "found" new ones, but in cast iron instead of aluminium like the original, and only wants exactly half of what CIH's last known price of $500.  Why, you can get two for the price of just one OEM.  Listen guy, if you are on here, some us can actually see a rip off on the horizon.  I have no issue with a guy making money and buying and reselling parts.  Did it for years myself.  But don't rip people off.  Anyway, rant over.

Since my last post I've been trying to source some of the parts I'm missing and just getting familiar with the tractor.  I'm going to need to pull the axles and internal wet disk brakes due to one dragging, and fear of water behind the piston.  The tractor didn't have a cap on the ms, and I think there is water in the system.  Since oil floats on water, it will be on bottom, (obviously the brake bleeder is on top) so no way to get it out. Good news is, the brake piston uses the same o-ring as it's larger big tractor counter parts, (56/66/86 series tractors) so still very available and cheap. The axle gasket though may get hand made, or RTV.  It comes up at like $60.  Yeah... if that price is right, I'll make one. 

20201114_181128.thumb.jpg.ffe5627ea97bfb2db25bf91e7f0efad2.jpg

Carburetor is off, disassembled and a kit ordered.  There is another "rip people off" part.  Found the kit quickly for like $118.  Short order I came up with a good part number for it (not an IH number) and after a couple minutes ordered it off ebay for like $18 from a US vendor.  Should be here soon. I'll post a pic of the part number later. 

20201114_171314.thumb.jpg.4ce480844337e133256da80eb4037aaa.jpg

I took the time to widen the rear tires out to maximum width just to see how it looked, and if straddling two 30" rows would be possible.  I'm happy to report it is.  However, it will make using all other equipment a hassle.  I'm sure I will go with a 60" tiller and a 2 bottom plow.  Takes 72" to cover the wheel tracks, and I doubt I can offset the plow enough to have the right wheel out that far.  To move them in, I have to unbolt the wheel and hub, flip the hub and reinstall both.  Not sure how I will address that.  I thought about a second set of tires, but would rather look for a second tractor.... hehehehe.  We'll see. 

20201114_171328.thumb.jpg.96256893de1bc54d35e61ea2285ceb45.jpg

Borrowed a bore scope from my buddy.  Looked in the suspect cylinder.  Before I report what I saw, I was sure I had rolled this engine around several times, and I'm certain I did using a wrench before I took the spark plugs out.  Last night with the plugs out turning it with the fan, it stopped.  Backed it up and went forward again feeling it hit.  Probably not so hard I couldn't have rolled through it with a wrench, but it did indeed hit.  Anyway, bore scope down the #2 hole and can clearly see the carb screw head down, driven into the piston.  So, the head will be coming off. Now to find a head set.  I was tired last night and it was late (like 12:00 am) when I looked in the cylinder.  The bore scope has camera capabilities.  I will see if I can figure out how to use it and post a pic.  Really, more for fun and so I can figure out how to work it than any other reason.  

Still a long way to go on this project, and still have some decisions to make.  Big one being how original I want it to be, and how much to improve what was built like I did on the 4586.  Leaning toward "tastefully modified" especially due to this tractors current condition.  I'll post more as I go! 

4 hours ago, jass1660 said:

You’ll get it lined out in no time. Heck maybe you can find a DV800 to put in it...lol

Didn't the 274 replace the 140?

Thanks Jass!

Lol on the DV800, but maybe I should.  I can at least find parts for it.  Reliance parts, but available anyway, lol.  I'll find a head set.  I really haven't looked too hard yet.

Yes, the 274 did replace the 140. Tractor Data shows built from '58 to '79, and shows 64043 made.  That is a lot of tractors sounds to me like.  The 274 was the last IH built offset tractor, or the last one to carry the IH badge.  (Built by Komatsu.)