u guys were right - didnt take long to break

ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner!!!! ive had it less than 2 mos and less than 2k miles 

2016 def issues already, driving down street - engine sounds different, check engine lite on, im like ugh........here we go..........

no indication to anything outside of check engine light - de-rated engine so knew better get it in   

luckily under WTY, def tank heater out

said some other old code regarding def efficiency so they think possibly knock sensor but cant determine w/out another forced regen but wont pay for it cause its not a current code - have to wait for it to act up again - in mean time i need to give it the FULL ONIONs regularly - they said they would kick off a forced regen to see if it would cause code to come up but cost me 190 bucks WTHeck!!! 

I will take my chances that it might come back on its own and still happen under WTY. 

So far dad’s 19 has been ok since I made the trip home with it. Haven’t put many miles on it yet though. Think it only had about 4500 Kms on it now. Not much seeing it’s just about 10 months since he bought it lol. 

1 minute ago, poor farmer/logger said:

So far dad’s 19 has been ok since I made the trip home with it. Haven’t put many miles on it yet though. Think it only had about 4500 Kms on it now. Not much seeing it’s just about 10 months since he bought it lol. 

this ones at 45K miles

21 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

if i keep having issues mine will get upgraded once out of wty

Upgrade as in eliminating Def? You might want to research that before you get that drastic. I’m not hearing good things about that. Like NO shops will work on your truck if it’s been deleted. 

Around here everyone that I’ve talked to that has a newer diesel does the def delete as soon as the warranty is up. My boss just did his pickup last year and he has more power and gets better mileage as well, he also has a 6.7

I'm having defness problems too, but that allows me to stay married. The delete would be too costly. Plus she's a good ole gal. Think I'll leave things alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
19 minutes ago, cobfly said:

I'm having defness problems too, but that allows me to stay married. The delete would be too costly. Plus she's a good ole gal. Think I'll leave things alone.

I do not believe that is the type of deaf that they are referring to!

I have a friend that tells his wife that his hearing aids are mute buttons so that he does not have to listen to her.  Saying that does not seem to settle her down for some reason........

• Haha 3
30 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I have a friend that tells his wife that his hearing aids are mute buttons so that he does not have to listen to her.  Saying that does not seem to settle her down for some reason........

Are you referring to Seth ? ;)

Mine did the same thing , heater in the def tank out of warranty, at first they told me they would cover it because they knew there was a problem with them, we will have the parts on Monday so bring it back. The next day they called back and said they made a mistake and that it was a different part that they would cover , not the one that I needed. I asked how much this was going to cost me, $800 - I politely said I would think about it and get back to them, called a local shop for a quote to delete it, $1500 - done deal. Mine is a 2014 model.

Lots of dealers are doing “upgrades” on these trucks up here even before the customer takes delivery.  If dad has problems with his it’ll be getting fixed quickly too I think. Most dealers are good but if you go to the wrong one they can be pricks and get your warranty voided. 

2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Deaf when you get old can be a blessing.Def when you get old, a problem.

3 minutes ago, jason812 said:

Glad I have and will never get rid of my 7.3 Powerstroke.

She's a good ole gal.

1 hour ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

I think the 7.3 gasser with 10spd is gonna be the new wave.  No issues with any of this def, emission stuff

I think it depends a lot on what you use your pickup for and maybe where you live but seriously thinking the 24v Cummins in my '99 may be the the last diesel I buy. 

The 6.2 w/6sp auto in my Ferd handles my 24' stock trailer, 24' flatbed trailer and 7 bale hay trailer adequately.

I recently ran with 3 other Power Strokes from 2011 up to 2020 all loaded close to the same and they never ran away from me and at fill up time we were all around 9mpg.

It's a tough call as to which way I go on my next pickup.

Probably gas and take the money I save to freshen up the old Dodge dually (which is hangin' in there at 346K)

Oops, sorry Searcy, mind got to wanderin and fingers to typin, didn't mean to derail your thread😪

Hope you get yours straightened out and running right. 

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I think it depends a lot on what you use your pickup for and maybe where you live but seriously thinking the 24v Cummins in my '99 may be the the last diesel I buy. 

The 6.2 w/6sp auto in my Ferd handles my 24' stock trailer, 24' flatbed trailer and 7 bale hay trailer adequately.

I recently ran with 3 other Power Strokes from 2011 up to 2020 all loaded close to the same and they never ran away from me and at fill up time we were all around 9mpg.

It's a tough call as to which way I go on my next pickup.

Probably gas and take the money I save to freshen up the old Dodge dually (which is hangin' in there at 346K)

Oops, sorry Searcy, mind got to wanderin and fingers to typin, didn't mean to derail your thread😪

Hope you get yours straightened out and running right. 

I’m with you on the last buy with my dodge, for me it’s the 5.9, great mill and no pollution addons, I had a choice the day I got it, 5.9 or 6.7, never  batted an eye straight to the old one, and like I’ve said many a time it’s a Wednesday vehicle. Another thing is you guys actually use yours mine sits under cover being prissy all the time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

I’m with you on the last buy with my dodge, for me it’s the 5.9, great mill and no pollution addons, I had a choice the day I got it, 5.9 or 6.7, never  batted an eye straight to the old one, and like I’ve said many a time it’s a Wednesday vehicle. Another thing is you guys actually use yours mine sits under cover being prissy all the time.

Mine didn't even have a cat on it. I still cut off the muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe. Not too loud, just a pleasing exhaust note. 

Jake, yours should last forever then. Mine has been a fire truck, still feeds big round bales, pulled trailer, rode hard and put up wet more than I care to admit. Has always taken everything with a "growl and go". 

7 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Mine didn't even have a cat on it. I still cut off the muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe. Not too loud, just a pleasing exhaust note. 

Jake, yours should last forever then. Mine has been a fire truck, still feeds big round bales, pulled trailer, rode hard and put up wet more than I care to admit. Has always taken everything with a "growl and go". 

At 73 and just a "po white chile" thats what I'm hopin for or maybe hopin five.

• Like 1

Most of the new diesels I hear that have issues are because they are used as grocery getters.   Or they are trucks that idle a bunch.    It takes lots of heat for the emission garbage to work.  

• Like 3

got it back today, fixed, till next time, all covered under wty so no clue how much it would have cost but im sure 1000 bucks if nothing else. - agreed the diesels with def are a debacle - i was there and overheard a guy with a 10speed trannie in there complaining about the shifting, not sure what engine but the ford service writer said we get quite a few in here for reprogramming, they are unique and do act different than our older 5 and 6 speeds, im like HUH it should just shift more not act different LOL i dont think the guy was biting about it acting different and having to live iwth the way it was acting 

this isnt my thread sandhiller its everyones to enjoy and add to - i hope i something from everyone i read on here - i appreciate everyones comments even the ones i have to think more about