Looking For a Disk Mower

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect if you'd spend more for a good Vermeer you wouldn't regret it.

On that style as with Kuhn, if it was run out of oil most likely all the bearings are shot. Run away from it. A sickle mower with new guards and knife along with Crary or New Holland adjustable holdow

An MC Rotary Scythe was about the same thing, but can you find one and get parts for one?

12 hours ago, J-Mech said:

And those are awesome sickle mowers too, since no one commented.  Oil bath wobble box, easy to run, easy to get parts for.  I've mowed a lot of acres with a 1300. 

Honestly, the New Holland 451 is a very similar mower.  You can pick them up reasonably too.  I'd take either. 

I've never seen an oil bath wobble box on an IH balanced head sickle mower...If they would have been oil bath from the beginning, they'd last a lot longer.

Travis

• Like 1

I think the problem came in when a balanced head mower was bought on a farm sale. The buyer didn't have a manual(as if anyone reads them) and neglected to pop out that cap and grease it. I would see that on Oliver tractors with a failed 2 or 3 speed hydraul shift. They would be empty of oil or have a filter on from 1978 or both. I would get a response from the acreage own "I didn't know I had to check that"

I was nosey. Looked up the Rowse mower parts book. You can buy them with an IH head or a New Holland head. I thought that was interesting.

Fwiw

I have yet to see a repaired disc mower currtter bar last like a oem.  Bearing disintegrating spread chips in oil bath at 7000rpm.  They are all bad basically.

Find a nice used 3pt one.  A brand you recognize from a dealer sign in your area.  Kuhn/vicon/claas/NH/Tarupp/CIH/kubota[kneverland] etc.  If you just service the oils and thiiink when you cut disc mowers are very low maintenance.  Keep good blades and replace the holders every other set (years for you) and youll be fine.  Ne patient and keep looking over winter.  Youll find better than some off brand

I would also scrap the sickle.  The pain of 100 year old slow tech would kill me.  We have had disc mower/conditioners her since the late 70s.  Dad says we will have it done if we kept sickle cutting.?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Fwiw

I have yet to see a repaired disc mower currtter bar last like a oem.  Bearing disintegrating spread chips in oil bath at 7000rpm.  They are all bad basically.

Find a nice used 3pt one.  A brand you recognize from a dealer sign in your area.  Kuhn/vicon/claas/NH/Tarupp/CIH/kubota[kneverland] etc.  If you just service the oils and thiiink when you cut disc mowers are very low maintenance.  Keep good blades and replace the holders every other set (years for you) and youll be fine.  Ne patient and keep looking over winter.  Youll find better than some off brand

I would also scrap the sickle.  The pain of 100 year old slow tech would kill me.  We have had disc mower/conditioners her since the late 70s.  Dad says we will have it done if we kept sickle cutting.?

Dad in law borrowed my 3206 CIH mower a few years back. I am a maintenance freak. But hit a fence post in the ditch. twisted the drive shaft. Shelled out the driveshaft gear and bearings. Those pieces went thru the other gears. 1800.00 late I had it up and running. A sickle mower would have been two guards and 3-4 sections. Each have their place.

I purchased a Massey Ferguson disc mower this summer after asking alot of questions on here about different brands.  I ended up getting something newer and more expensive than what I was originally looking for but I'm glad I did.

I have a 100 fast hitch sickle mower that I used before purchasing the disc mower.  I always kept the sickle in good shape and normally it worked fine.  But occasionally I would get into short or down grass and I would need to spend a lot of time in prayer asking for forgiveness when I finally got finished.

I like my disc mower, but for a small acreage like I do sometimes I think a mower conditioner would be just as much bang for your buck.  My experience with a mower conditioner is that it worked better in down grass since you have a real.

• Like 1

A neighbor told me that we should find a New Idea Cut Conditioner...IF we can find one. He said his Dad had one years ago but he cant find them any more.

You can still get parts for new idea cutditioners last I looked. Cutters were available thru Shoup.  Fil has one like in the ad above I have a 9' cut 279 I gave 250 for and used for years till the out put shaft on the gear box crystallized and snapped. Keep thinking i will fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

Dad decided to go ahead and get it. We put it on the trailer sideways with the tongue off. I ran it today and found that the slip clutch is broke. The manual adjustment/lift crank is snapped off so I welded a nut on so we can have some adjustment. They gave us a hyd. cylinder for it that I will probably put on next week. I cut some old dry grass and it did an okay job being the paddles are all rounded and I probably didn't have it low enough.

Does anybody Know where I can find a new disk for the slip clutch?

47 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

You mean the New Idea Cut-Ditioner and not the salvage disk mower?

Yes

I recon both clutch discs are shot. 

Any idea where I can get some?

I recon both clutch discs are shot. 

Any idea where I can get some?

1 minute ago, lightninboy said:

Is it some universal Belleville or what? 

?????