Looking For a Disk Mower

My Dad is looking for a disk mower to replace our sickle bar and the only one I could find in our price/ driving range is a Befco in Illinois.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/23974379/befco-15-dm6-114?CTRY=USA

The listing says "HAS BEARINGS OUT OF THE CUTTING BAR, EVERYTHING ELSE IS GOOD, BELT COVER SHIELD IS MISSING, UNIT IS PUT BACK TOGETHER AND IS BACK ON LOT...SOLD AS IS"

I don't know anything about Befco or how expensive the bearings would be. It says it is a 90" cut. Does anybody know about how much parts would be and if it would be worth it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect if you'd spend more for a good Vermeer you wouldn't regret it.

On that style as with Kuhn, if it was run out of oil most likely all the bearings are shot. Run away from it. A sickle mower with new guards and knife along with Crary or New Holland adjustable holdow

An MC Rotary Scythe was about the same thing, but can you find one and get parts for one?

2 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I suspect if you'd spend more for a good Vermeer you wouldn't regret it.

Yeah... except we don't do a lot of hay. Just enough for several steers.

6 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Why not use a sickle bar?

I would ask the same question. Disc mowers are the cats meow until they break. There ain’t much you can fix cheap on them things. For low acres I would make a sickle work. There are plenty of tricks to make them cut. 

Just now, lightninboy said:

Why not use a sickle bar?

We have one (an International, we don't know what model) but the thing is wore out. It doesn't cut for about one and a half feet on either end because the sliding bar floats and we cant find retainers other than the cheap TSC ones that don't work and the cast ball-joint /drive piece breaks about every cutting etc. etc.

You can probably pick up a ok sickle bar mower conditioner for a ok price and it work decent for what hay you're doing. Your going to have some time and money into it before all is said and done. 

It says bearings are out. You have no clue how long it was ran that way and if it tore other stuff up in the meantime. Shafts if to far gone or gears get expensive fast if you end up replacing them too.

• Thanks 1

On that style as with Kuhn, if it was run out of oil most likely all the bearings are shot. Run away from it. A sickle mower with new guards and knife along with Crary or New Holland adjustable holdowns is hard to beat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going to guess Befco doesn't make it......probably a very common European mower.....with metric bearings. If the old bearings are there, cross reference and source them local. If you can figure out what it IS, you might be able to cost it out. I am going to guess it's not going to sell too quick this time of year.  

You could always just replace what they claim is wrong and see what happens. 

For $750 asking price and assuming several hundred bucks in parts and your "free" time, you might have a decent mower....or you might have a time bomb with many new parts. 

You could buy a used mower for $5000 and have the bearings go out anyways.  

A new mower that size is around $14-16,000 CDN here now. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, IH OAK said:

We have one (an International, we don't know what model) but the thing is wore out. It doesn't cut for about one and a half feet on either end because the sliding bar floats and we cant find retainers other than the cheap TSC ones that don't work and the cast ball-joint /drive piece breaks about every cutting etc. etc.

Ah, a pitman style mower.  I wouldn’t fool around too much with that either.  The pitman less style mowers do ok. IH 1300 is what I’m familiar with.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lightninboy said:

IH balanced head cuts good in prairie grass but almost takes a professional to rebuild. New Holland pitmanless may be a pain to maintain but you don't have to be a professional.

The New Holland 451/456 drive plates and bearings were improved over the 450/455 and were a really good mower. I use a fast hitch 100 myself but if my wobble box gives out a New Holland would be a good replacement mower. Anything would be better than the #5 JD I grew up with.

A new idea cutditioner might be a cheap option too if you can find one. More of a flail type mower. Gopher mounds don't slow em down, tho it does dull up the cutters. 1 bearing on each end of the cutter drum is about all that usually goes wrong. 

I know where theres a hesston haybine that could be bought right now for $100, and my point is if you cant swing paying a little more for a vermeer or new holland for example I wouldnt wasnt my time. A decent haybine will get it done and do a good job of the sickle area Is good (guards and sections)  I've rebuilt a couple 3 point disc mowers that I've wore out and trust me when I say you can spend some serious money on parts. Not even sure where your going to source some of them on that thing.  I know that's not what you want to hear but it's the truth 

• Like 2

I've known of a few that have bought disc mowers like this and though they were getting a deal and they're sitting in fence rows or hauled off for scrap because once they got looking at parts they found out what everyone else has said here they should have stuck with what they had or spent the extra money to get something decent. A couple of them tried half ass fixing it and something else would break before they got all their hay down

It's almost November, and you're in the Northern Hemisphere. That means you're not going to be mowing hay any time soon, so why the rush to buy a machine?

Nobody is selling mowers right now because they're out of season. You're not going to find anything but junk and the odd estate sale. 

Keep your eyes open but in the meantime use this time to improve your price range. The closer to spring you get the better the selection you'll have and the more money you'll have to spend.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that thing is junk and will never run again.  If you run away I think you will be money ahead.  I like the idea of a sickle cutting mower conditioner.  Depending on your climate and what you are trying to achieve that conditioned hay could help you get it dry.  They can be had pretty cheap.  One of my neighbors has a junk new Holland mower conditioner and does pretty well using the thing. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ky966boy said:

Bought a cheap discbine one time mowed 2 acres bam $ 1000 later it was backed together and trade for a new one life was good then. 

My Dad bought a $6200 disc mower last year, mowed less than 50 acres with it, main gearbox bearing went out. $840 in parts later it was good to go. Been an awesome mower and I'm looking for one like it. 😉

Travis

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

My Dad bought a $6200 disc mower last year, mowed less than 50 acres with it, main gearbox bearing went out. $840 in parts later it was good to go. Been an awesome mower and I'm looking for one like it. 😉

Travis

One with a gearbox bearing out? Lol

On 10/29/2020 at 6:50 PM, Gearclash said:

IH 1300 is what I’m familiar with.

And those are awesome sickle mowers too, since no one commented.  Oil bath wobble box, easy to run, easy to get parts for.  I've mowed a lot of acres with a 1300. 

Honestly, the New Holland 451 is a very similar mower.  You can pick them up reasonably too.  I'd take either.