Here you go Sandhiller

11 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I figured we would do Clint Eastwood movies tomorrow...

and slap my keyboard pokin' finger, I veered off of JW too?

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, lorenzo said:

It’s funny though the younger people don’t want nothing to do with a John Wayne movie but people like us that grew up with them appreciate them.

My 7 year old Grandson loves John Wayne movies. He wants to go to Winterset Iowa and see the house. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, cobfly said:

John Wayne was also an avid sailor. There is a marina named after him in Sequim, Wash., on the NE corner of the Olympic Peninsula overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca, with full access to the Peugeot Sound. I guess that is what he enjoyed when he wasn't John Wayneing. 

A link to his yacht...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_YMS-328

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Nothing like being a contrarian, BUT there are only three John Wayne movies that I consider worth watching:

#1. The Quiet American

#2. The Shootist

and

#3. (I can't remember the name right off hand.)

His cowboy movies are basically the same plot recycled again and again, and I consider it a tossup between "The Searchers", and "Shane" for being the worst (except for certain spaghetti westerns) cowboy movies out there.

The one thing that stuck with me about "The Hellfighters", was that was the first time I had ever seen a direct electric start Caterpillar.

The two I named aren't westerns.

I’ve begun to enjoy his movies the last few years. I have a DVD set of four of his movies. His first staring role from 1930 The Big Trail, North to Alaska, The Undefeated (one favorite), and The Comancheros. I’ve always liked North to Alaska, seen War Wagon once and it was good, McClintock is a classic.

I find something to like in each one I’ve seen. 

To name another I’ve enjoyed a few movies with Audie Murphy. I saw his headstone at Arlington National cemetery two years ago. 

I’d say 98-99% of the tv I watch is western shows/movies and IH Motion Picture Films. It makes for a great time. ?

• Like 4

Seems like after Dirty Harry was released in 1971, the 'industry' had to find a way to make John Wayne a cop, which resulted in McQ, which was released in 1974. (Funny that McDonald's didn't name a burger the McQ burger.)

The best thing about The Fighting SeaBees was you got to see some Allis-Chalmers construction equipment, although I do not remember any screaming Detroit Diesel sounds.

The only identifiable 'adult beverage' container setting on top of the cooler next to the Travelall, is a can of Falstaff beer.

• Like 1

Ya wanna talk “off the beaten path “ with JW movies?

Try the conquerer with duke as genghis khan, yup.

As for Dirty Harry, JW was first choice as was Sinatra, then Mitchum then McQueen then Lancaster, I’m thinking age realism was the reason for the casting, same as gunsmoke, duke wuz first choice to play big Matt, but he suggested Jim arness.

I mentioned once before about JW in the 30s and his singing sandy movies, he had the main lead but his old friend in there was Yakima canutt, now there was a stunt mans stunt man, westerns I live for them, and my favorite all time is George Stevens Shane, made the pilgrimage to the grand Tetons to see the last remaining shack from the old “town”

The Dairy Queen there has the movie on a continuous loop to watch it, my favorite line,

“who are you stranger?”

”I’m a friend of starrets “

• Thanks 1

How come nobody has ever mentioned his very early B movies when he was "Singing Sandy". 

"Red River" is a classis.

The "Green Berets" has to be his absolute worst. Watched it once and will never watch it again. About as dumb and un-authentic as it gets. The scene with the sky hook makes for good action, but it was never used in real life. I know one of the SEALs that tested it. Just one of the many things about that movie that is not accurate. I do know why he made it and the state of the USA at the time. It is very John Wayne though.

Love his WWII movies.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

My favorite is The Cowboys.

I heard someone once say they didn't like Bruce Dern because he killed John Wayne, but he's one of my favorites.  Here's an obscure movie with Bruce Dern playing a real character named Harry Tracy, a turn of the century bank robber being pursued by a sheriff played by Gordon Lightfoot, of all people.

I love this movie but it's hard to find.  Just now found this on the utube.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Nothing like being a contrarian, BUT there are only three John Wayne movies that I consider worth watching:

#1. The Quiet American

#2. The Shootist

and

#3. (I can't remember the name right off hand.)

His cowboy movies are basically the same plot recycled again and again, and I consider it a tossup between "The Searchers", and "Shane" for being the worst (except for certain spaghetti westerns) cowboy movies out there.

The one thing that stuck with me about "The Hellfighters", was that was the first time I had ever seen a direct electric start Caterpillar.

Do you mean The Quiet Man.  That's one of my favorites too.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, dads706 said:

How come nobody has ever mentioned his very early B movies when he was "Singing Sandy". 

Awwww you dun hurt my feelings.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Awwww you dun hurt my feelings.

I saw yours after I had posted. Sorry.   

JW and Ward Bond must have been good friends because they were in a lot of films together.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, dads706 said:

I saw yours after I had posted. Sorry.   

JW and Ward Bond must have been good friends because they were in a lot of films together.

They did, there were a lot of actors that ran under the handle of john fords stock company, with JW as one of the top stars.

• Like 1

...always a fan of "Marion Morrison''.......AKA    John Wayne......He always looked  good on a horse....and of course that is how he graduated from horse wrangler to actor.......

Enjoyable films to watch, but as Art said, a certain  ''sameness '' about them.....JW looking like he just stepped out of a Menswear shop....as was the situation with those early films..Think of the "Searchers"......the girl JW was looking for...(Vera Miles ???)..looked as if she had stepped out of a beauty saloon....Think of   Mary Mcdonnel........the girl captured by the Indians in 'Dances with Wolves'......now she looked like she had been ridden hard and put away wet....which showed the 'evolution  ' of the Western    genre...

The Dukes films offered light hearted   entertainment.....and apart from ""The   Cowboys".....and the" Shootist  "....he never got 'kilt' on screen.....and the likes of Dean Martin/Stewart Whitman/Andy  Devine/Hank Worden and many others of note   . certainly' padded out ' his films.....Apart from "Rio Lobo "  I like them all....but the later films...."The Wild Bunch"   "Lonesome Dove Trilogy """ Breakheart Pass""   Dances with  Wolves "  "Broken Trail "  "Open Range "  and etc      are light years ahead  in the portrayal of the era.....

I would love to see."All the  Pretty Horses"" in its four hour entirety....but Billy Bob Thornton   won't (apparantly ) release the whole shebang......   

I could go on.....but   I must mention   one of our most well known contributors on this site...to wit.....Lorenzo.....and his choice of best western. left me quite  dizzy.....with heart palpitations......however after an aspirin...and a nice cup of tea I felt better....  I must sit awhile....

Mike

• Like 1

John Wayne is my fav western star. Love early Clint movies but the Sondra Locke era ones are brutal acting by Clint and even worse by the blonde 

If I had to choose I think I would pick True Grit. JW had so many great quotes !

john w.png

3 hours ago, hillman said:

John Wayne is my fav western star. Love early Clint movies but the Sondra Locke era ones are brutal acting by Clint and even worse by the blonde 

If I had to choose I think I would pick True Grit. JW had so many great quotes !

john w.png

Wifey refuses to watch Clint's "monkey movies" because of Sondra Locke, I'm thinkin they could have cast her part better. 

Maybe he lost a bet and had to do those movies with her, dunno......................................?

34 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Wifey refuses to watch Clint's "monkey movies" because of Sondra Locke, I'm thinkin they could have cast her part better. 

Maybe he lost a bet and had to do those movies with her, dunno......................................?

I always thought that at that time they were dating in real life and either lived together or were married for a short time? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

he left his wife for the bimbo       she is a brutal " actress"

• Like 1
3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I always thought that at that time they were dating in real life and either lived together or were married for a short time? 

2 hours ago, hillman said:

She didn't get the part for her looks, personality or on screen effervescence. My opinion only and sure she thinks the same of me.

Bless her heart. 

8 hours ago, hillman said:

I think she was brutal to Clint's bank account with a big time palimony suit when those all made news.

After that Loni Anderson, then Clint was mayor of a little beach town on Monterey Bay and pick up the local TV news gal and had kids with her.