Dt466 into IH 1440 combine

All that list plus the oil pan, fuel filter base changed or relocated, flywheel, probably the front crank pulley. 

Pretty much strip both to long blocks and swap the parts. 

I always found on the 400 series motor, that the quickest and cheapest solution was just to rebuild the current motor....unless the crank was shot or block had a hole in it.

• Like 1

Got a 1586 in shop right now that is a can of worms. Customer bought a good use engine out of a truck. I said man it's going to take a lot of labor to switch front cover, fuel system, pan, manifolds & turbo, oil filter base an etc...over. I would rather just rebuild what you have. Tractor comes in with truck engine on trailer and front cover already removed. Pulled pan on truck engine and found coolant in the pan. Not sure where it may have come from but skeered to use it without pressure testing cooling system. I see this thing turning into a complete nightmare for all involved. He wants us to use the truck engine. 

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Got a 1586 in shop right now that is a can of worms. Customer bought a good use engine out of a truck. I said man it's going to take a lot of labor to switch front cover, fuel system, pan, manifolds & turbo, oil filter base an etc...over. I would rather just rebuild what you have. Tractor comes in with truck engine on trailer and front cover already removed. Pulled pan on truck engine and found coolant in the pan. Not sure where it may have come from but skeered to use it without pressure testing cooling system. I see this thing turning into a complete nightmare for all involved. He wants us to use the truck engine. 

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

4 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

I put a truck engine into concrete buddies bough loader actually swapped parts for a few of his. He likes the newer 466c to replace the 414 in the loader. The hough will use the same cover as a truck and mount into front of block. The last engine he got had a power steering gear and hole off to side so I had to swap everything than on top of that had to pull head because a roller lifter came out of place. Nothing is ever simple but actually enjoyed working on that stuff

3 minutes ago, Keith 1066 said:

It has a rod hangin out the side of the block. 

Will get some blow back but I have seen more than a few combine , tractor dt engines self ventilate. Usually no 1 or 2 and it smacks the injector pump

Just as another note, a 1440 doesn't really need the kind of power a DT466 puts out, even if de-tuned.  Pretty easy way to find the next weakest link, which will probably be the right angle seperator drive, or the jackshaft tower.  Might just shred belt too if overloaded.  I'd stick to a DT414 or the original D436, but that is just my opinion.  Cut my teeth in a 1440, so I'm not a stranger to that machine. 

• Like 1

The early 1660s had a dt466. I thought they used the same separator drive,etc as the 1440? I realize the hydrostat, transmission and finals are the smaller 815 size.

Just asking. I been around 1460 and 1660s but not 1440s. They never made a 1440 rice combine.

Thx-Ace 

2 hours ago, acem said:

The early 1660s had a dt466. I thought they used the same separator drive,etc as the 1440? I realize the hydrostat, transmission and finals are the smaller 815 size.

Just asking. I been around 1460 and 1660s but not 1440s. They never made a 1440 rice combine.

Thx-Ace 

Ace I'm not going to pretend to know all the specs of the 1400 vs 1600, because I don't.  But I am pretty sure they beefed up some of the separator drive parts for the larger engine.  Belts at least.  The 1440 had a really narrow main drive belt. I know they upgraded those.  Besides, do you really need to go throwing a possible 200hp to a 40 year old combine?  

I didn't think they ever made a 1440 Rice special machine.  Ours had rice tires on it though, does that count? LOL! 

3 hours ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

They also had an "Aussie Special" 1460 with a factory DT466. Over the years several 1460 and 1440 around here were running DT466 engines that came from trucks. I never heard of them having problems because of too much power. Most everyone around is running newer stuff now, but the 1460 and 1440 combines had a very good reputation.

The 1460 would handle a dt466. 

I don't know much about 1440s. Mostly what an old dealer told me back before I bought my 1460 and what I've learned here.

Back when I was looking for a combine (late 90s) i talked to alot of people knowledgeable about axial flow combines in rice. I wanted a 1420 rice combine because it seemed to fit my operation like my old 715. They told me to get a 1460 instead. The 1420s are good machines that came in a rice special but very few were made, the small rotor is poor in down rice, parts are less available and a 1460 cost the same at that time. The local old ih dealer recommended against the 1440 in rice. Not enough power and they don't hold up to rice fields.

The recommendation was a 1460 rice combine with specialty rotor and  mud hog, preferably an early two stick combine to avoid problems with mice.

That's what I bought and it has served me well.

I always wanted a 1420 and have seen a few rice specials with mud hog but have resisted the urge.

They all said the 1440 and 1420 are great in grain but poor in rice. Very few 1440s in Arkansas.

After all that, I would recommend buying a used combine engine to put in your combine. They are cheap and plentiful and will be much easier to install.

Thx-Ace 

Well if you are not afraid of work and don't get paid for it anyway, the truck engine will work. Just swap all the parts. Don't be afraid of too much motor, there is no such thing. Just keep running it like a 1440. Just like people telling us not to turn all our 14's up to 300, just use your brain. If a truck motor is easily had and you can do the work go for it. If hunting and want easy then get a junkyard combine motor that's the same. Have switched plenty.

You're going to use the combine injector pump right? It's set and governed for the combine's HP and RPM needs. The engine is only going to put out as much power as the fuel it gets, and if it only gets 1440 fuel, it's only going to put out 1440 power.

How common are "junkyard combine motors" anymore? Last one came out in '87 if I'm not mistaken.

Several years ago I pulled the engine off a 1470 combine and put into a 3388 tractor. You go through the same sort of work doing that swap also. Not as many things to swap as a truck to ag application but still rear cover, fly wheel, oil pan and oil pump pick-up tube, fuel pump etc. Matt is right put the correct fuel pump on for the application, you will be fine. When you have the pan off you might think about rolling some bearings onto the crank.