1947 TD14 Dozer drive clutch and pressure plate problems

Poorboy

New here. Been on here researching for a while now. I need help on removing a stuck drive clutch and pressure plate. The dozer has been parked for several years. (Aka Flower Pot) Got it purring like a kitten and can't get it in gear. It is engaged. So my dad and I removed the stop break assembly. And the shaft with the front of the pressure plate. The reason why I separated them was that I was afraid that I might break one of the studs that has the three springs one it. I was trying to pull it out and I had alot of pressure and it was compressing the springs fully and not moving and sounds solid.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Loving this forum. Reading all the builds and the stories!!! Thank you in advance!!

IMG_20201021_163350.jpg

IMG_20201021_171703.jpg

IMG_20201021_163408.jpg

A little back story on the "Flower Pot." My dad bought her when I was really young. I'm a 79 model and dad is a 43 model. We have a small farm in the Boston Mountain Range in Newton County Arkansas.  We also had a small logging and milling operation. The dozer was bought to make logging roads or skid trails in the steeps where the skidders had a hard time. Just something about them steel tracks?. I was like all little boys following my dad's every step. I grew up on and around all types of equipment.  But the dozer was his baby. He hardly ever let anyone one on it. I remember one time I told him to give her some fuel so he can get some work done. Lol. When I got older I realized max was 1430 rpm. He would look at me and smile. Then say get the Sledge hammer to adjust the blade. Driving out the pins to angle the 10ft blade. Some of my best memories was in the woods with him and Flower Pot. He had actually thought he changed the clutch in her before but when we got into her he said it must have been the cable dozer they used to loaded logs with (pre 79 b4 me???) He told me that it took his brother 3 months to get his out. I'm hoping someone can lend me a hand. Going to try and get some pics of her where she decided to just stay where it is now.  

PS. The logging crew gave her that name. Because she would sit for several years from one job to the next sometimes. It had flowers growing in brake and shifter area, hence the name Flower Pot. They say she will never start but she always does. 

Thanks for reading along. Any advice will help.   Jesse?

• Like 1

Didn’t copy the best if you have trouble let me know and I’ll do better

Might have flower pots twin Daisy Dozer another TD14 stored near BC hippies for a spell

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Didn’t copy the best if you have trouble let me know and I’ll do better

Might have flower pots twin Daisy Dozer another TD14 stored near BC hippies for a spell

Cool. I'll keep that in mind. You have any advice on getting the plate that is stuck out of her? I've have really enjoyed this forum. My first to actually join. Still learning how navigate. All the information here is a lil overwhelming and very helpful.  Everyone and their units are getting me crossed up a lil. With who has what. Can you search for members? Do you have some pics of Daisy Dozer? Thank you for your time too!!! Jesse

Search engines can be trying on here

Using google can be easier ie Daisy dozer redpower

There was a recent post with a stuck TD40 clutch finally freed it up but wrecked the pressure plate in doing, didn’t say his method though, these service suggestions are for good conditions not seized for years, looks like the centre comes out first

There was another section at the back to soak in a chemical Zoltol or something to release bonded clutch facings, carcinogenic for sure now I’d bet?

• Like 1

Bottom pic being liberated from hippie resting spot, the other the red has oxidized into a pinkish hue even more disgraceful ?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Search engines can be trying on here

Using google can be easier ie Daisy dozer redpower

There was a recent post with a stuck TD40 clutch finally freed it up but wrecked the pressure plate in doing, didn’t say his method though, these service suggestions are for good conditions not seized for years, looks like the centre comes out first

There was another section at the back to soak in a chemical Zoltol or something to release bonded clutch facings, carcinogenic for sure now I’m sure?

Yes I believe I read that one. Every time I start to really go at it my dad reminds me that it cast and parts are hard to find. But I smile and tell him it's no good how she sits???. It is still his baby girl so I try to keep him pleased. I think I also read to heat up the outer ring trying to get it to expand a little. Have you heard of that????? Jesse

35 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Bottom pic being liberated from hippie resting spot, the other the red has oxidized into a pinkish hue even more disgraceful ?

We have some not so purty equipment. I always tell everyone that looks don't get the job done!!! I like it very much. We call that character!!! Wish ours had a winch on it. ?Jesse

Here is a link to "General Gear"  site with all the manuals you could need ?

Just my opinion , It does not look too too badly rusted , You will just need to get creative and possibly

make up some type of "bridge puller" to get some tension on the clutch cover , then possibly a careful application of an air hammer to rattle things loose .

Best of luck and keep us updated

TD14 STEERING CLUTCHES

image.thumb.png.68f756c20914f2d7dcaf6653eabdf5a1.png

image.thumb.png.ca50d7aff81ea2c285bddf1d7cfa1cd1.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kevingweq said:

Here is a link to "General Gear"  site with all the manuals you could need ?

Just my opinion , It does not look too too badly rusted , You will just need to get creative and possibly

make up some type of "bridge puller" to get some tension on the clutch cover , then possibly a careful application of an air hammer to rattle things loose .

Best of luck and keep us updated

TD14 STEERING CLUTCHES

image.thumb.png.68f756c20914f2d7dcaf6653eabdf5a1.png

image.thumb.png.ca50d7aff81ea2c285bddf1d7cfa1cd1.png

Thank you sir. We have been discussing different ways to make a puller. Thank you for the information. Hopefully the weather will cooperate here shortly. ? Jesse

10 minutes ago, hector gemme said:

The plate side is freese in flywell  and with a small hammer knock on side gently and the plate be loose

Thank you for the advice. I have knocked on it pretty much everywhere ???. I'm thinking making a puller then adding some heat to flywheel like we have done to get the harmonic balancer off and old 290 cummins peer unit. It groaned a little then fell off. Hopefully this will do the same.

? Jesse

9 minutes ago, Weapon said:

Heat the plate at point of contact with flywheel. Tap with hammer. Should fall apart like a GM brake rotor  

John 

? Hopefully it will just fall out without to much difficulty. Never had much experience with GM. More of a Ford guy. ?????? I know I know "Fix or repair Daily" ??? but I love them.  ? Jesse

Is there anyway you can get a heel bar to bite on an edge to start prying either from inner or perimeter, pulling straight on you have to break the entire bond if you can get one point started it should be easier

Think in the other thread 7288 said he had early 14 parts maybe figure out if they are the same and then you can get more aggressive with a backup plan?

Fords...geeez and our friendship was getting off to a good start... record scratch

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Is there anyway you can get a heel bar to bite on an edge to start prying either from inner or perimeter, pulling straight on you have to break the entire bond if you can get one point started it should be easier

Think in the other thread 7288 said he had early 14 parts maybe figure out if they are the same and then you can get more aggressive with a backup plan?

Fords...geeez and our friendship was getting off to a good start... record scratch

??? Sorry! Ford is all my daddy had plus mine has a International navistar engine in it.? I fell just as hard for them. I can list them all??? JK that would take too long?. Yes 7288 he sent me a message. With that in mind a more aggressive approach will be taken the next time up there. I think the puller that I have in mind will work. I will take some pics when it's done and see what y'all think.

?Jesse

We'll Flower Pot Kicked my booty again this evening!!! I tried the chain with a bolt through the clutch eye that someone did on another thread. I was hoping to save some time instead of building one. I may still have to anyways☹️ I tried to heat with a propane lil torch. It's not gonna cut it. Got to get a bigger attachment. After about an of heating you could still lay your hand on it. Felt warmer but not enough heat through my lil torch ( it been really cool up there the last week). The flywheel definitely done it's job in dispersing the heat. Here is a couple of pics. I forgotten to get one of her where she is setting. But I will eventually.? You can see. The rod has some pressure on it. But she still isn't giving up ??? ?JesseIMG_20201030_182334.thumb.jpg.43e672a3237b6774733d53965b406a7a.jpgIMG_20201030_182319.thumb.jpg.3a0437c8a8fd5fdd0a7091bc43b31789.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a worthwhile idea   ,  Maybe a stouter bar would help

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kevingweq said:

Looks like a worthwhile idea   ,  Maybe a stouter bar would help

Yes going to try and find one. You think they are until you start putting the pressure on it. So the chase continues ??Jesse

On 10/28/2020 at 2:30 PM, hector gemme said:

The plate side is freese in flywell  and with a small hammer knock on side gently and the plate be loose

Have you tried Hector's advice ?   Maybe in conjunction with the heavier bar ,   Hector has probably taken apart

more IH machines than most of us have seen ?

23 minutes ago, Kevingweq said:

Have you tried Hector's advice ?   Maybe in conjunction with the heavier bar ,   Hector has probably taken apart

more IH machines than most of us have seen ?

Yes sir I have it alot!!! Till my arm is like spaghetti ??? Jesse