Mosquito pictures.....plus a few others which maybe of interest.....

...a few weeks ago, I talked about a collection of WW2  aircraft.....in a tiny 'village ''  in New Zealand..including   a P51   Mustang and another iconic     aircraft, a DH Mosquito.....intact in a shed  ..owned  by a recluse, who dedicated his life to preserve these  aircraft...plus others  including   two P40   Kittyhawks...

I have a few photo's of the PR  Mosquito's    of Royal Airforce  684 Squadron  (PR)  ....that  my Father was part of ...... Dad was a New Zealander, but was "seconded" to the RAF , and also was one of several test pilots for  Geoffrey   de    Haviland....

684 Squadron   was stationed in India, Burma and Cocos Island...at various times...and was ordered  by the Royal Air Ministry  to assist    the Chinese Nationals   in their , ultimately futile endeavors  , to prevent the Communists , thus he never returned to NZ untill late 1946......(which is when I first met him.....I was four years old...he was thirty four yrs old....)

One of my adult Daughters  worked in the UK, and in 1989,  I visited  the UK when the surviving  members of 684 , and 681   Squadron were having a reunion...Of the many wonderful stories from those couple of days.....for you American blokes who might read this...one is worth recounting. .The only decent food the two Squadrons got , came  from the American Navy  Base in "Trincomale"    (spelt incorrectly..)  in Ceylon. The Americans were generous to an extreme, according to the old blokes.....and upon finding  ''motor transport ''  at the Air Force bases was about non existent...the Americans   dropped off two  Military jeeps....  for the Squadron......one of which, was immediately  removed by some British  Officer...but at least Dad had one Jeep, which made life a little  easier the various bases......which were under constant , clandestine threat from the obvious enemy....Thus there were a contingent of Gurkha  Soldiers on the bases                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       All the photo's of the infamous   Burma /Siam Railway that exist ,   (ariel   pictures ) ..were taken by these men..and there were horror stories   about the photo taking sweeps , with the intensive light anti aircraft  guns in full, noise....

Included  is a happy couple of blokes   standing by the Mosquito...they had just come back from the UK to India....the quickest recorded trip ever , at the time, a record that stood for almost a decade until 'broken ; by a DH Comet, civilian   airliner . Dad on the right...Ray Smith  was the navigator.....they did 45 missions together...all , of course documented in his log books...which we have....Also a very interesting  entry regarding  test flying P40 Kittyhawks...where by he sprung the rivets on the mainplane  .."testing''...this to the chagrin   of the American engineers.....but that is another story....

Ray Smith, the navigator  came out with another Mosquito  pilot, to  Karachi , India,.....crashed on landing, Ray got out, with a sprained ankle....the Pilot died. Note the 'ladder to enter the aircraft.....last in ..first out. Ray visited us in NZ some years ago....he was an old man then..but very interesting to listen to....

Also where the camera's were positioned in the 'nose' of the aircraft  is obvious.....no armour  plating  ...or guns on those PR aircraft......just speed to evade the Japanese   fighter 's.       The revolver   Dad is wearing is not the usual SW 38M and P..it is a Smith and Wesson   455....His old comrades referred to it as ""Koss's   bloody great cowboy gun...""  Just one of a million questions that I would have had for Dad..but for his demise at the hands of a drunk , in 1965. I knew him for 18 years, as the oldest child.....I have two Brother s, both mandatory   retirement..one a 777Captain for Air NZ...t'other a Rotary Wing Captain for Canadian Helicopters ...his last three years spent in Afghanistan, flying American Soldiers  into combat zones....(I can operate an excavator....sigh ...there has to be one in the family....)

The Japanese  officers name , who surrendered his Sword to Dad at the Japanese Air Field in Saigon, was Captain T   Imai.....We have the sword , the SW  455  and other memorabilia at home.....

Mike

image0-2.JPG

image0-10.jpg

farm and family 568.JPG

farm and family 566.JPG

image0-20.jpg

image0-64.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Read the title and was thinking insects. Don't know if I was pleased or disappointed! 😁

Then I read your post. That is high quality stuff. There are some real gems on the forum this morning. What does the PR stand for?

• Like 2

Thanks for posting . 
did the Japanese invade  NZ

• Like 1

Great pictures Mike and the stories to go along with them puts them over the top. 

Thank you for sharing with us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great story and pictures Mike. That sort of story is a thing of legends. Things like you relay in those stories is why your Father was part of  “the greatest generation”. Thank You for sharing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

Very good post. Can’t imagine how your father felt receiving that sword 

The level of restraint and civility is impressive. Given the conduct of the Japanese toward anyone nonJapanese during that conflict.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, exSW said:

The level of restraint and civility is impressive. Given the conduct of the Japanese toward anyone nonJapanese during that conflict.

Very true. 

• Like 1

Great story, thanks so much for posting! It is so important that this history is passed along to keep everyone mindful of what all those amazing people did to keep us in freedom.

My Father recounted how they had several Mosquitos on his base in England, a few had USAAF markings for awhile but most retained British insignias. He flew as navigator/photographer on a few trips to the outskirts of Germany and back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, KWRB said:

Read the title and was thinking insects. Don't know if I was pleased or disappointed! 😁

Then I read your post. That is high quality stuff. There are some real gems on the forum this morning. What does the PR stand for?

KWRB.......due to diminishing   cognitive  ability..............I had great difficulty   spelling the  "R" word    in "PR"....:rolleyes:

''Photographic     Reconnaissance ""

...those Mosquitos  were without  armament  or armour.......thus their  means of defense ...was limited to the pilots ability and the inherent speed  that the Merlin  engines provided

.....those blokes played a vital role in the Pacific   theater...providing up to date detail for US and British   Intelligence...to keep tabs on the Japanese....Some of the most horrific, heart rending stories from the old veterans , was the treatment of the Allied prisoners on the Burma /Siam railway.....Another story  ..sometime

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing with us Mike. I'm sorry you only were able to know your dad for a short 18 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mike newman said:

..Some of the most horrific, heart rending stories from the old veterans , was the treatment of the Allied prisoners on the Burma /Siam railway.....Another story  ..sometime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpVgDgKpQS8&ab_channel=WarStorieswithMarkFelton

And another:

ANY of Mr. Felton's YouTube postings are well worth subscribing to:  (Contrary to what one of this board's resident Karen's has to say about You Tube) (Check out videos by Drachfinal and The History Guy, and Blanco Lirio also)

On 10/25/2020 at 2:54 AM, 560Dennis said:

Thanks for posting . 
did the Japanese invade  NZ

No.....they got to Darwin, though....on ''top'' of Australia...as you look at the map of Aussie....

Mike

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, mike newman said:

No.....they got to Darwin, though....on ''top'' of Australia...as you look at the map of Aussie....

Mike

Must heard about what good shots you guys are , let’s go somewhere else