Jump to content

Chainsaw Logic Check Please


Ian Beale
 Share

Recommended Posts

We've got a Husqvana 550 XP which has been a pain to restart when hot from new.  Looking around the net says we aren't the only ones to meet this.

Husqvana forgot to add the bit about oil spraying the air cleaner after washing to the owner's handbook down here, so it was totally rebuilt under warranty.  Which didn't alter the hot starting problem.

However it has now upped the ante.  Hasn't been used much lately and I took it out to take a tree off a boundary fence.  It fired once on choke and that was it.  New plug, new fuel and no change.  Seemed to be plenty of spark when I got it in the dark.  So it went to our local dealer who has had a few 550 XPs with problems.

It is an auto-tune carb.  Which means it needs an electricity supply from the ignition module, so trouble could be either or both.

He has checked the piston/liner for problems and they're ok.  And found that it will reliably start no choke full throttle - but, as he says, that is not a safety feature.

Seeing that the choke control only affects the carb and nothing of the ignition side I'm presuming that it is the likely source of the problem?

Any pointers would be welcome.

TIA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not much help but I’ve heard that when they run out of fuel the auto tune goes full rich and hard to get it back to normal, not saying this is your problem 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Have had a few of those saws at work. One blew up about a year old on one crew. Got one on our crew. 2 years old and looks like brand new yet cause no one wants to use it. Haven't had the hard starting when hot but it won't stay running when it gets warmed up. Will run great for a couple minutes then will just bog out halfway through a cut. Then gotta let it idle and try to rev it up then cut a bit more. Started acting like that after a few weeks of use and hasn't changed. Had it to the dealer and once it was a kinked fuel line, which didn't solve the issue. I forget what the issue was before that one. I was ready to throw it over a bank down a ravine the one day I had it, and honestly I wish I did lol. I'll keep my carbed stihl till it can't be fixed anymore!

We have had some of the 261C Stihls act like you say though. Seems like they flood themselves when you shut it off. Only way to get them running is full throttle no choke. Or let it sit for a few minutes. The latest stihl seems to be ok but have had 3 or 4 act like that. Have tried reprogramming them by holding the throttle with the choke on I think. I forget the proper procedure. It helps for a couple tankfulls of gas then back to the same issue. The ones that do that have done it since almost new. I wish I could help you out to pinpoint the problem but I honestly don't know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks.  This one has always had the hot start problem but has gone down hill from there.

When it is working it is actually a good saw for our usage, which doesn't have much big timber.  Includes lopping mulga (Acacia aneura) for drought feeding stock.  I've been banned from that due to age.  But you probably don't picture starting up a dozer as part of drought feeding either though.  When the "round tuit" comes up I'll do an item on this.

In my look around the net there was a mention of one which had a porous casting somewhere in the intake system.

I've gone with a new carb which has been fitted but not tuned as yet - next couple of days.

Will report.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

Thanks.  This one has always had the hot start problem but has gone down hill from there.

When it is working it is actually a good saw for our usage, which doesn't have much big timber.  Includes lopping mulga (Acacia aneura) for drought feeding stock.  I've been banned from that due to age.  But you probably don't picture starting up a dozer as part of drought feeding either though.  When the "round tuit" comes up I'll do an item on this.

In my look around the net there was a mention of one which had a porous casting somewhere in the intake system.

I've gone with a new carb which has been fitted but not tuned as yet - next couple of days.

Will report.

Has your dealer re flashed the carb/computer to the lastest settings?

Also ask how much to upgrade to the latest version of the carb and coil.  If that is too cost prohibitive, ask to trade it in on the Mark 2.  Or at least a 2017 or newer built saw.

The Mark 2 has been more reliable and they pretty much solved the hot start in about 2016 or 2017.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 pumps on the primer, set half throttle by applying choke then taking it off, chain brake off. Should start 1-2 pulls every time. Only other probable is an auto shut off to cool the chip down if it is running super hot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dealer has done his best with settings etc.  He has the tune kit.  And today it works fine and tomorrow it doesn't.

As outlined, our logic says more likely carb than ignition module.  New carb is on, tune likely tomorrow.

One of the on-line sites has a "find" of another screw hidden under a brass plug.  IIRC on Walbro carbs and I think this might be Zuma

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

An update on where we got to with this

Our local dealer went well beyond in this.

The new carb didn't solve the problem.  He eventually stripped the saw and couldn't find anything that he flagged in the piston/cylinder.  So he sent them off to Husqvana for their opinion. 

Supposedly the ring had too much gap.  Now recall that this saw was rebuilt under warranty by a supposedly reputable Husqvana dealer not that long before and the bore was still good.  I'm dubious and he sounded so also.

His suggestion to get it mobile at least cost was an after-market piston and ring - I don't know from whom but he had used them successfully.  It means using 25:1 fuel and not 50:1, which isn't a problem here.

Then he had considerable trouble getting the Husqvana tuning software to work - on his dime.

Eventually we got it back.  I haven't needed a lot of saw but it seems to be fixed - starts easily, has that sharp exhaust note and cuts well.

Cost us about half of a Husqvana rebuild.

So we'll use it and see what eventuates.

Thanks for the help along the way.

Ian

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian Beale said:

An update on where we got to with this

Our local dealer went well beyond in this.

The new carb didn't solve the problem.  He eventually stripped the saw and couldn't find anything that he flagged in the piston/cylinder.  So he sent them off to Husqvana for their opinion. 

Supposedly the ring had too much gap.  Now recall that this saw was rebuilt under warranty by a supposedly reputable Husqvana dealer not that long before and the bore was still good.  I'm dubious and he sounded so also.

His suggestion to get it mobile at least cost was an after-market piston and ring - I don't know from whom but he had used them successfully.  It means using 25:1 fuel and not 50:1, which isn't a problem here.

Then he had considerable trouble getting the Husqvana tuning software to work - on his dime.

Eventually we got it back.  I haven't needed a lot of saw but it seems to be fixed - starts easily, has that sharp exhaust note and cuts well.

Cost us about half of a Husqvana rebuild.

So we'll use it and see what eventuates.

Thanks for the help along the way.

Ian

Was that the only thing he did, (after market piston/ ring) or did you still go with a different carburetor?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like tremendous trouble on a not terribly expensive saw/old saw, i am surprised Husqvarna didn’t replace it. By the time you have replaced half tue parts in a saw and shipped it back and forth you (Husqvarna) have quite a bit of money tied up and an dissatisfied customer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I will keep rebuilding my non-electronic Stihls indefinitely into the future!

Isn’t this a sad state of affairs? Pretty soon we’re gonna have to be pirating software to fix our saws. Wouldn’t be surprised if there were a market for rebuilt pre-emission chain saws.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

on a different note , local new holland dealer was told there might be a few tractors sitting around this year because of this parts situation, they have become so dependant on the electrical parts and they just arent around for now

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had quite a few brands of chainsaws over the years and have never been that satisfied with any of them. Once upon a time I had an older John Deere saw and I liked that one the best to be honest. I don’t know who made it for them, but it was probably the most reliable one I ever had. I have a Stihl right now, but I’ve never thought it was that great. If it was up to any chainsaw I’ve ever had the lumberyards would be empty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Binderoid said:

Remington made Deere saws. The one I have is 65cc’s ..... real good saw. No ignition module to flash (snicker)

Echo made the 65EV and a lot of others for Deere in the late 70's through early 90's. When JD's agreement with Echo fell apart, JD bought what was left of homelite and tried making their "own" for a short while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Echo made the 65EV and a lot of others for Deere in the late 70's through early 90's. When JD's agreement with Echo fell apart, JD bought what was left of homelite and tried making their "own" for a short while.

The last Deere I had was a 60V. I thought it was made by Echo, but was never 100% sure. My dad bought it new from some local small engine dealer. I’d guess he got it around 1980ish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Was that the only thing he did, (after market piston/ ring) or did you still go with a different carburetor?

We went with the new carb - which had been tried before the cylinder assembly was sent to Husqvana 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...