I think it will be awhile before the EVs are viable in the remote areas

If you had an electric sled or ATV and you ride out and run out of battery what would you do?

Have someone bring a generator so you can recharge and wait even longer while it recharges? Not going to work for me.

If you have a gas powered sled/atv and you run out you can either take some gas from another riding partner or you can easily bring more gas with you.

You are more likely to find a few gallons of gas at a near by camp you can barter for than a generator.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, I personally think the media is trying to cover this whole money funnel up with him and his kid so they get him in, then they can drop the hammer on him for it, out he goes, and the Queen is

You know.  Frankly....the worse deal is us in the west are so viruois in saving the world for the 3rd worlders.  As the 3rd world CHILDREN are hand digging the lithium and cobalt for batteries so the

Some of the typical buyers in the electric vehicle market don’t stop to think for a second that you have to burn coal to make the electricity to charge that vehicle.  lol.  Lol.  Do you actu

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I think it will be awhile before the EVs are viable in the remote areas

If you had an electric sled or ATV and you ride out and run out of battery what would you do?

Have someone bring a generator so you can recharge and wait even longer while it recharges? Not going to work for me.

If you have a gas powered sled/atv and you run out you can either take some gas from another riding partner or you can easily bring more gas with you.

You are more likely to find a few gallons of gas at a near by camp you can barter for than a generator.

One thing no one mentions about the Tesla is the recharging time.  The car comes with an adapter / charger cord / kit that you simply plug into any  regular 110 volt outlet .

Thats all well and good until you realize it takes all night and most of the next day for it to recharge at the rate of around 1 KW per hour . 

Of course you can buy another method that’s much faster that plugs into a 220 volt outlet . 

5 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Some of the typical buyers in the electric vehicle market don’t stop to think for a second that you have to burn coal to make the electricity to charge that vehicle. 

lol.  Lol.  Do you actually think he will even have the ability to tie his own shoes by then?   

He wouldn’t be allowed to get to the inauguration, Kamilla already said it was her administration with Joe as president, she just didn’t say how long he would be around. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, lorenzo said:

That’s the best Analogy of what a Tesla is that I have ever heard . 

A Tesla will blow the doors off any muscle car out there. 

And that’s what I would want.  Seems like a good match, now I just need to save a bit

5 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

The electricity comes out of the wall outlet. What else do you need to know?

All kidding aside this is actually how a certain sector of the population thinks. Just like the "we shouldn't kill animals because the grocery store has plenty of meat" crowd.

There is a school of thought that the power industry needs to move to clean power, and then we will can charge our cars from green power. Not very cost effective at this time, but it’s better

Be neat to have an efficient electric vehicle and a wind generator to recharge it .  Or if the solar panel technology gets to the point where the roof of the vehicle could recharge it. 

Just now, lorenzo said:

Be neat to have an efficient electric vehicle and a wind generator to recharge it .  

We only have roads I would take it out on in the summer, so a solar panel in the land of the midnight sun seems to fit for me.  

the shop is getting closer to usable, and the ridge line runs east west, so a solar array is being considered, seems I can get at least an average of 500 kw/hr (Monthly average) with a single setup, and if a double fits maybe 1000.  At 23 cents a KW/hr it might pencil out.

There’s a machine shop in Lincoln called TMCO, it’s a huge operation covering a couple of city square blocks they do powder coating , Robotic sandblasting, robotic welding, they build the entire grain tank assembly for the caterpillar combine and ten dozen other amazing things. 

The owner put up a solar panel on a pole that actually tracks the position of the sun. It’s a huge panel 
it’s a very nice system with state of the art components but it still isn’t expected to pay for itself for about 20 years .   Perhaps that will change if it can be updated . 

Be great for a younger person to install on the farm so by the time they retire they could have free electricity. 

Put the wind generator on your EV and give it push down a hill and you could drive forever.

Willing to bet I could sell that to some of the green crowd 

Buy some roached out Prius put one on put it on Facebook market place 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hummer from Gas guzzler to electricity guzzler.

2 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Even the 220 volt chargers will take 10-15 hours depending on the amperage they are.

There are faster charging methods but you need 3 phase power and a very expensive charger  

With a full fuel tank (60 liters) i can drive over 800 km and filling up takes just a few minutes, while charging an EV takes longer

24 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Be neat to have an efficient electric vehicle and a wind generator to recharge it .  Or if the solar panel technology gets to the point where the roof of the vehicle could recharge it. 

The problem with solar panels is that they stil generate electricity when they are damaged. 

I have said this before, why can’t the auto makers get together and settle on a handful of battery sizes/shapes. Then you pull into a changing/charging station and swap batteries. It would take no more time than a fill up at a gas pump. Then be on your way cross county or cross town. Pay for the electric used. Electric forklifts have been changing batteries for decades. It would require battery standardization but should be doable. This is the only way I see EV’s becoming a reality in my lifetime. 

My father in law has a chevy volt for his funeral home and really likes it surprisingly.  The reason it works so well though is it pretty much never travels in more than a 50 mile radius.  Just used for short trips, and doing all the "running around".  On vehicles that have dedicated, predictable routes they are excellent.  Unfortunately probably 90% of vehicles dont have that luxury and require the portability of liquid petroleum fuels.  

http://greencabmadison.com  has 40 Tesla model 3s & 40 Prius' in their taxi fleet . Mad City has one of the highest per capita of Prius cars in U.S.

Update Chevy Bolts & Teslas....

2 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

I have said this before, why can’t the auto makers get together and settle on a handful of battery sizes/shapes. Then you pull into a changing/charging station and swap batteries. It would take no more time than a fill up at a gas pump. Then be on your way cross county or cross town. Pay for the electric used. Electric forklifts have been changing batteries for decades. It would require battery standardization but should be doable. This is the only way I see EV’s becoming a reality in my lifetime. 

It doesn't work like this???

1881825150_carselectric.gif.e02768b37e18a5b03afdaf2b3de74377.gif

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, lorenzo said:

lol.  Lol.  Do you actually think he will even have the ability to tie his own shoes by then?   

I got a feeling he would come down with a BAD case of "Clinton Flu" before that!!!  :o

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

There’s a machine shop in Lincoln called TMCO, it’s a huge operation covering a couple of city square blocks they do powder coating , Robotic sandblasting, robotic welding, they build the entire grain tank assembly for the caterpillar combine and ten dozen other amazing things. 

The owner put up a solar panel on a pole that actually tracks the position of the sun. It’s a huge panel 
it’s a very nice system with state of the art components but it still isn’t expected to pay for itself for about 20 years .   Perhaps that will change if it can be updated . 

Be great for a younger person to install on the farm so by the time they retire they could have free electricity. 

Assuming the solar panel still works in 20 years...... Life expectancy of 20-30 years on a solar panel,  unless it get damaged by something else .i.e. wind,hail, snow, ice, tree limbs. That a long shot bet for “ free electricity” 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Don't plan on any "overnighters'

Mike

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I might be a potential buyer for a EV in the future..................but with that said you can't kill the petroleum industry, do those clowns understand what is in plastics and other materials?  

With "logic" like this you could

"Kulak is the Russian Word for 'Deplorable'  "

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/03/kulak_is_the_russian_word_for_deplorable.html

You know.  Frankly....the worse deal is us in the west are so viruois in saving the world for the 3rd worlders.  As the 3rd world CHILDREN are hand digging the lithium and cobalt for batteries so the elite can feel special.  Same as GMO.... loud minority screams how bad it is.... starving farmer in Sudan begs for a drought tolerant anything to feed his village.  He should do no till organic the elitiest cry....he just needs food.  These arrogant jerks have full bellys and many "problems", the 3rd world has maily 1 problem.  No food or no money for food.....

• Like 4
16 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Even the 220 volt chargers will take 10-15 hours depending on the amperage they are.

There are faster charging methods but you need 3 phase power and a very expensive charger  

The 220V chargers pull more power than a stick welder but are needed to fully charge an all electric car. 

I have heard up to 50 amps and someone here said it takes 3 phase power. Unsure of that one.

If you are putting the charger into your home garage, you first need a bigger panel as most are near full or cannot take an additional 50 amp load.

Then the cable to the panel from the transformer has to be increased in size for the new load.

If you have three phase available from your supplier.

So you basically have to start at the transformer and upgrade everything to charge your car.

You may see an electrical overhaul bill getting very high here.

If you are going to buy one, you best verifying the electrical upgrade needs and costs before saying, "I do".?

• Like 1

I have a 30 amp 220 volt Bosch charger it was around $400 

We had a 40 amp service going to our stable I upgraded that to 60 amp and used the 40 amp for the EV charger.

I have a 200 Amp service with a large panel so I have some extra space we also have a transformer on our pole since we are 1/2 mile in from the street.

The 3 phase chargers are these new fast chargers that start at $1500 and go up from there depending on the output.

Who has 3 phase at their home let a lone available on the pole running by there residence.

Now the 110 volt charger has a standard plug on it which means you can plug it into a 15 amp outlet which will cook the receptacle and cause a fire.  

On 10/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, AKwelder said:

I live in a small urban area with horrible roads between here and the next town.  I was pondering how fun a Tesla would be here in town, I rarely go more than 20 miles from the house, we don’t have any straight away for high speed runs, out of town the frost heaves are to much in most places so I drive a truck, and 5 months a year there is snow and ice. Instead of buying a midlife crisis muscle car why not a Tesla? Huge speed and acceleration, great for around town with plenty of snort, and why not?

Or not, who knows

So I am wondering how well these EVs will work in extremely cold climates I found this statement.

From the manual: “Do not expose Model S to ambient temperatures above 140º F (60º C) or below -22º F (-30º C) for more than 24 hours at a time.”

When I was researching storage batteries for my off grid solar system none of the lithium battery storage units had storage temperatures below zero so lead acid batteries where used since they are good to -50.

21 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

So I am wondering how well these EVs will work in extremely cold climates I found this statement.

From the manual: “Do not expose Model S to ambient temperatures above 140º F (60º C) or below -22º F (-30º C) for more than 24 hours at a time.”

When I was researching storage batteries for my off grid solar system none of the lithium battery storage units had storage temperatures below zero so lead acid batteries where used since they are good to -50.

See a couple running around here down to 30* below ambient and they seem to be fine. I would assume they are garage kept