International Officially Gone

oleman

Fresh off the wire:

Volkswagen’s truck division, Traton, will move forward to acquire Navistar following a letter from the Navistar board approving a cash offer of $44.50 per share, a deal estimated to be $3.7 billion. The offer was up from $43 proposed last month.

Traton had gained support from Navistar’s two largest shareholders, and the Lisle, Illinois-based heavy truck manufacturer agreed to the deal after confirming their support. Traton owns 16.8 percent of the company. The two largest shareholders are Carl Icahn and MHR Fund Management.

The merger would give Traton access to North American markets and add the International brand to its other truck brands: MAN, Scania, and Volkswagen

• Sad 1

Earlier this week, reports made it sound like it was all but a done deal.  An Automotive News story postulated that we might see the Scout name return to the hot US light duty truck market.  We shall see.

This depresses me. I know it's the way of the world but it still depresses me.  In the fantasyland of my mind, I am still a kid looking at new IH tractors at the fair. IH is still at the top of their game and all the school buses were Loadstars.  Again,  my own personal fantasyland of days gone by.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Earlier this week, reports made it sound like it was all but a done deal.  An Automotive News story postulated that we might see the Scout name return to the hot US light duty truck market.  We shall see.

?the Scout name on a VW SUV

• Like 2

They are not new to the large truck game , when in Brazil a few years ago saw VW class 8 trucks 

711AF798-FCB4-409F-8FBD-343721074E79.jpeg

Does anyone see the irony in this? A company that had to cheat to get around EPA emissions standards is buying a company that couldn't produce a reliable engine to pass EPA emissions standards. Its like the blind leading the blind. Not that I have much use for these emissions standards. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Does anyone see the irony in this? A company that had to cheat to get around EPA emissions standards is buying a company that couldn't produce a reliable engine to pass EPA emissions standards. Its like the blind leading the blind. Not that I have much use for these emissions standards. 

I was thinking the same

4 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I was thinking the same

6 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Disgusting! There ought to be a law against foreign countries buying up north American companies. 

OK.  I'll be blunt this time.

North American companies have been on the nose down here for years for just that.

3 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

North American companies have been on the nose down here for years for just that.

You are correct.  Within the past year, RDO Equipment bought the Vanderfield John Deere dealership group.  Before that there was Chamberlain, Dingo, and Holden to name just a few of the bigger ones in the equipment/vehicle market.

4 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

......thats not blunt. up here makes little sense can you explain ? please

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Even more irony

IHC helped the US beat the Germans in two world wars and now they are being purchased by Hitler's car company

that the US propped up after the war with the Marshal plan funds.

4 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Even more irony

IHC helped the US beat the Germans in two world wars and now they are being purchased by Hitler's car company

that the US propped up after the war with the Marshal plan funds.

They will tell us how great it is that it will create jobs. Probably be some stimulus money for them also.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, EquipmentJunkie said:

Ford Motor Company registered SCOUT as a model name over a year ago when they renewed Bronco as a model name.  I guess IH let their registration of the Scout model name lapse.

5 hours ago, drglinski said:

They've been gone for me when they sold to Tenneco and closed the Rock Island Plant/HQ in Chicago. 

Same here.  I don’t cared they continued on just making trucks.  Hard to plow a field with a Loadstar unless you do something like this guy did.  
https://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=456

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Ford Motor Company registered SCOUT as a model name over a year ago when they renewed Bronco as a model name.  I guess IH let their registration of the Scout model name lapse.

Interesting.  I did not hear that.  However, it appears like Ford abandoned the idea of a Bronco Scout, "The filing, assigned serial number 88386362, was abandoned on September 9th, 2019."  This was according to www.fordauthority.com on 9/11/19.

As a weird twist, Ford and VW were already getting cozy on various platforms including light trucks.  It will be interesting to see how small the Navistar product line gets in the future.

5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Same here.  I don’t cared they continued on just making trucks.  Hard to plow a field with a Loadstar unless you do something like this guy did.  
https://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=456

plus one. maybe if IH focused on their main product like JD did  they would have still been around

The Hamilton Works and Chatham Works ( trucks) are both closed here 

IH or Fait don;t make anything here  so I don't care either