I know that stupidity knows no bounds.   The toilet paper "shortage" should have given some a clue, but just as in the last 4 elections guys just needed an excuse to go buy excessive amounts  of ammo.     I watched the survivalists from Idaho pushing shopping carts 1/2 FULL of 223 rounds at Cabelas near Spokane before the last election.    I refuse to let fear dominate my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When trying to buy ammo in times like these, go to the small gun shops in the rural areas, sure you will pay a little more, but you are not completing with all of the city folks running to the big box

I was at the Cabela's Hamburg store myself in August.  The gun portion of the store was busy, not so much the rest of the store.  I picked up some .410 ammunition and an additional magazine for my Buc

Actually started by Dick and Mary Cabela selling fishing flies from their kitchen table in Chappell, NE.  They took no profits those first years, putting all monies back into growing the business

Posted Images

Cabela's more or less lost the plot when it began marketing all the goofy BS that the 'great white hunter' needed, such as camoflauge toilet paper, camoflauge cell phone holders, and 'rustic' or deer antler furniture.  It makes one wonder how the hunters of old, ever survived without all the gimmicky.

Also, the quality of their products really went downhill in the last few years prior to the buyout.  I got the feeling that if one were to access one of the many Cabela's warehouses at the old Sioux Army Depot, near Sidney, it would smell the same as a Harbor Freight store.  (Wikipedia says the depot is at Potter, but, in fact, it is much closer to Sidney)

I used to buy shirts from them that would last for years, (in fact, I still have one that I call my 'poverty shirt', or the soup eating shirt), that is at least 15-18 years old (and it shows), and I have bought a boatload of hunting boots from them, all excellent quality, EXCEPT for one pair of Meindl's, where the soles just disintegrated.

I bought a wristwatch out of the "Bargain Bin" just because I liked the color (totally black), and now it looks like 'black chrome', but the luminisent hands and numbers have never lumininscened, but like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking.

I also bought my .338 Lapua and another boatload of reloading stuff from them over the years.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2020 at 9:26 PM, lorenzo said:

I think I already mentioned this but when I was in Australia last, the US was completely dry on 22 ammo and had been for quite a while.
People were standing in line at 6 AM at Walmart to get there one box ration. 

I went into a gun store in Australia and  noticed 22 ammo stacked in the isles on pallets. Guy said he had 30,000 rounds of CCI minimags.  When I told the guy I was from the states and there was no 22 ammo to be found he looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said what the heck are you talking about.  He further went on to say that he could get all the 22 ammo he wanted and how much did I want. 

So here we have a product being manufactured in the United States that we can’t find locally but halfway around the world you can have all you want. 

explain that please.

BTW.  a local gun store here has all the amo you want . It’s not cheap because he bought heavy anticipating this very scenario.  He has instructed his employees to only put a few boxes out on the shelves at a time so that it looks like they’re running out. I know the owner I do his air-conditioning repair I’ve been in his warehouse he has over $1 million worth of ammo stored and is making a killing on it. People come in and buy 15 to 20 boxes of 9 mm at a time. As soon as they walk out the store his employees put another 20 or so boxes out.  It’s out there you just have to know where to look and it’s not gonna be cheap.

well, for a little while during the covid lockdown,       all firearms dealers where shut down,        farmers, security, indigneous  could buy ammo,           there was a ruckus , cos,            not all firearms dealer, exclusively firearms,         hardware stores,auto repair garage, sporting/camping goods stores etc

but, yes,        ammo seems to be available,           powder tho, in my state however is a problem           ADI being the main supplier, varget to you lot             east cost states, not a problem, west coast state, problem

was at our largest firearm dealer, and asked about powder,       reply, was        if 250kg of powder comes available,       its sold in a day

• Like 1
On 10/22/2020 at 9:36 PM, Dasnake said:

What's Sidney?

On 10/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, ray54 said:

The town where Cabelas head quarters were. I believe it started in the small town, but cannot say that for sure.

Actually started by Dick and Mary Cabela selling fishing flies from their kitchen table in Chappell, NE. 

They took no profits those first years, putting all monies back into growing the business.

They made several moves away from the kitchen table as they grew. 

The move to Sidney was renting a vacant John Deere building. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was in the Alexandria MN Fleet Farm yesterday. Few guns left. Ammo about gone. There was a few boxes 32 and 380 pistol ammo and critical defense 410 ammo. Just crazy. Glad I reload! Thing is powder, primers, brass and bullets are getting hard to find too. I've seen some stuff on online auctions and people are driving prices up to stupid levels! Other places are price gouging. Wolf 9MM cheap ammo was about 13 cents a round in January this year and now I see it 49-53 cents a round on line.

Rick

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Was in the Alexandria MN Fleet Farm yesterday. Few guns left. Ammo about gone. There was a few boxes 32 and 380 pistol ammo and critical defense 410 ammo. Just crazy. Glad I reload! Thing is powder, primers, brass and bullets are getting hard to find too. I've seen some stuff on online auctions and people are driving prices up to stupid levels! Other places are price gouging. Wolf 9MM cheap ammo was about 13 cents a round in January this year and now I see it 49-53 cents a round on line.

Rick

The guy I know with his huge stash of amo is defiantly gouging .  And that’s what he planned on doing right from the get go. 

Here in Pennsyltucky there is real shortages..............same with firearms themselves.  I would hazard a guess that our governor isn't helping.  I normally would agree with not letting fear get in the way of things, but when you watch thugs burning down cities and destroying things fairly close to you, I am not going to throw my hands up and run if they show up here, and alot of people have the same opinion.  We had a just a 30-30 lever action Marlin and a 20 Gauge Remington here for years...........We bought quite a few guns since, and I was always of the opinion more than one was kinda dumb since you could only shot one at a time, and where I am the houses are so close here now I can't even go out and shoot without driving somewhere else.  

Yeah it’s definitely crazy. When I was passing through home in MN in August, not much for ammo and guns. Really made it tough trying to find 45ACP since I had just picked up a 1911. Now that I’m back in ND flight instructing it’s not much better, it comes in slowly and is gone quick. Really sucks, I just want to have fun shooting pop cans and Tannerite haha.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:36 PM, Dasnake said:

What's Sidney?

I didn't know what Sidney was until somebody said I should stop at the Cabela's store in Sidney, NE on my return trip from CO in September of 1996 .  Wow, what an experience!  These days we tend to take Cabela's stores for granted.

While there, I picked up this stainless travel mug which was kind of a new concept at the time. I use it every day and often wonder how many hundreds of gallons of coffee it kept warm in the nearly 25 years of use.  I repaired the handle once, put the brass tag back on it, and lost the lid 20 years ago while mowing with the tractor.  Needless to say, this mug ranks up with one of my best purchases ever.

Cabela's Stainless Mug.jpg

I just came from one of the Walmarts in Lincoln there’s three of them and they had all the ammo you wanted look like normal price is no price gouging so I don’t know why they can have it and nobody else seems to maybe they just put it out but I guess if you hurry up and get to Walmart in South Lincoln you get anything you want

I was just by the Hamburg store today as I went to Stitzels to look at something. Anyone who has been there probably wouldn't believe how low in inventory Stitzels is right now..  I only noticed 4 Magnums there today. Not many used big JD's that I noticed either. I only took a few pictures. They said that chopper is going to a custom chopper guy in Lynden Washington ..... ;)

I will need 7mm08 ammo soon for the deer rifle :(

IMG_20201026_094618140_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201026_100547072_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201026_111121166.jpg

IMG_20201026_111139063_HDR.jpg

9 minutes ago, bitty said:

I was just by the Hamburg store today as I went to Stitzels to look at something. Anyone who has been there probably wouldn't believe how low in inventory Stitzels is right now.. 

I will need 7mm08 ammo soon for the deer rifle :(

What do you think Stitzels is up to with reducing inventory?

Are you serious about the 7mm08 ammo?  I can keep an eye out for you. 

7810 looks euro with those big tires and front 3 point.  Sharp 1586.  Stauffers my go to tends to shy away from the 86 series.  They will gladly work on and restore them but they like to recommend the 66, 88, magnum etc first.  I would have to wonder if that chopper would make it through the few acres I have.?

14 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

I didn't know what Sidney was until somebody said I should stop at the Cabela's store in Sidney, NE on my return trip from CO in September of 1996 .  Wow, what an experience!  These days we tend to take Cabela's stores for granted.

While there, I picked up this stainless travel mug which was kind of a new concept at the time. I use it every day and often wonder how many hundreds of gallons of coffee it kept warm in the nearly 25 years of use.  I repaired the handle once, put the brass tag back on it, and lost the lid 20 years ago while mowing with the tractor.  Needless to say, this mug ranks up with one of my best purchases ever.

Cabela's Stainless Mug.jpg

How big is that lid hole? I think I've got a snap in starbucks cup of the same rough size, I'll look tomorrow and measure it if they are the same size and appearance I'll drive down and give it to you, ( just kidding) I'll mail it to you.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

What do you think Stitzels is up to with reducing inventory?

Are you serious about the 7mm08 ammo?  I can keep an eye out for you. 

He said they have had exceptional sales this year. I have been there 4 times before and I think 95+% is the same thing every time I had been there. The JD did look Euro spec to me also. Of the Magnums there were a 7110 with degelman blade, 7120, 7210 pro (Europe), and a MX 270 serial number 105xxx  so at least the one was Euro. I am not sure if the MX was or not

I am hoping to get my wife's cousin to reload some for more accuracy, better than that if I get in archery season I can just save the ammo .

9 hours ago, Dasnake said:

How big is that lid hole? I think I've got a snap in starbucks cup of the same rough size, I'll look tomorrow and measure it if they are the same size and appearance I'll drive down and give it to you, ( just kidding) I'll mail it to you.

If you are serious, the hole for the lid is 60 mm (Canadian) and 2-3/8" Imperial.  My mini DeLaval milk can would be appreciative!

12 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

If you are serious, the hole for the lid is 60 mm (Canadian) and 2-3/8" Imperial.  My mini DeLaval milk can would be appreciative!

I got it and the top of the lid below the top flange is a hair under 2 and 4/8ths just to be exact or just under 2 and a half inches, the seal is a tad larger for compression sealing.

The rubber seal is still supple. Lemme know.

10 hours ago, Dasnake said:

I got it and the top of the lid below the top flange is a hair under 2 and 4/8ths just to be exact or just under 2 and a half inches, the seal is a tad larger for compression sealing.

The rubber seal is still supple. Lemme know.

Thanks a bunch, but I don't think your lid will work on my particular mug.  I believe your lid is just a hair too wide plus my lid never had a seal.  It was kind of a weird arrangement that sat semi-loosely on top of an internally embossed flange around the top of the mug.  You can see flange a bit in the photo.  Anyway, I appreciate your efforts.

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I was told the boys split up the stuff?  Any truth to that?           

I don't know. Did the father pass away? Brian is who I have dealt with, he is the one who always answered the phone when I have called. We are getting a used mixer for a backup that needs some auger repair and wiring for the scales 

On 10/26/2020 at 7:26 PM, hobbyfarm said:

7810 looks euro with those big tires and front 3 point.  Sharp 1586.  Stauffers my go to tends to shy away from the 86 series.  They will gladly work on and restore them but they like to recommend the 66, 88, magnum etc first.  I would have to wonder if that chopper would make it through the few acres I have.?

It is Euro, no question.  Dead giveaway for any color tractor of that timeframe is the front belt line flashers and absence of front roof flashers.  Euro spec for Euro regulations, and its not super easy to change it over to NA standard.  No reason to either.

10 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Thanks a bunch, but I don't think your lid will work on my particular mug.  I believe your lid is just a hair too wide plus my lid never had a seal.  It was kind of a weird arrangement that sat semi-loosely on top of an internally embossed flange around the top of the mug.  You can see flange a bit in the photo.  Anyway, I appreciate your efforts.

Ok,too bad, I wasn't trying to be silly or act stoopid with the 4/8ths comment but my thinking was you said 3/8ths if it was a hair over and mine in the numerology a hair under I would give you a better picture, another thing is I googled the 16 oz chubby starbucks cup and found them, maybe you could have luck with that, take care.

6 hours ago, bitty said:

I don't know. Did the father pass away? Brian is who I have dealt with, he is the one who always answered the phone when I have called. We are getting a used mixer for a backup that needs some auger repair and wiring for the scales 

I haven't seen Paul at any sales in quite a while............4 years now maybe?  I heard he wasn't in good health, but didn't hear if he passed away.  The river bottom gossip network was talking about it when Stitzels ad shrank over-night awhile back.  I haven't been there since I was in my early teens, the Lyme Doctor I went to was close by, but never felt up enough to walk much after getting stuck in the hind end with a bunch of needles.  He would always ask me if I stopped at Stitzels............I thought to myself, boy here I can barely walk and your worried if I stopped and seen all the junk.:lol:

• Haha 1