Stopped at Cabela's today for first time since looking for a 243 in July.  I was specifically going to buy a ground blind to hopefully get my son close enough to the doe herd that comes out of the woods and into our fields every evening.  I took a quick stroll around.  They are basically out of most all ammunition and out of hand guns.  What gives?  When we bought the 243 from a local guy he was fairly well stocked.  I have half a notion to stop back at the local guy tomorrow to buy another box and see where he is at with inventory.  I know there was a run on this stuff but there is zero end in sight.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When trying to buy ammo in times like these, go to the small gun shops in the rural areas, sure you will pay a little more, but you are not completing with all of the city folks running to the big box

I was at the Cabela's Hamburg store myself in August.  The gun portion of the store was busy, not so much the rest of the store.  I picked up some .410 ammunition and an additional magazine for my Buc

Actually started by Dick and Mary Cabela selling fishing flies from their kitchen table in Chappell, NE.  They took no profits those first years, putting all monies back into growing the business

Posted Images

Why the big difference with cabelas up here and down south? I was at the store in Abbotsford last week and bought 9mm and 38 special, the 9 was on sale, I don't know your prices but it was 22.00 for 50, and 38 was 28.00 for 50, lots of guns,  now I realize the two countries are apples and oranges gun wise but it just makes me wonder.

One thing that was kool was a midland am/fm/wx radio all sorts of bells and whistles plus rechargeable with 32 hours playtime, and fudge, love cabelas fudge.

We have an election coming up in 2 weeks and one side is very anti gun, not to mention all the violence, etc. this summer.

• Like 2

Cabelas ain't what it used to be. Hedge fund bought them and milked them dry.

I was at the Cabela's Hamburg store myself in August.  The gun portion of the store was busy, not so much the rest of the store.  I picked up some .410 ammunition and an additional magazine for my Buckmark while I was there since my local gun shop (large store) was out.

I read a headline the other day that the US has already broken the annual record for firearms sold...in September!  The breakdown in the rule of law we witnessed this summer and the COVID-related shortages earlier this year fuel it.  Fear sells firearms.  Here is what I found from the Pittsburgh Quarterly which helps bring some insight to the situation, "July sales were up 134 percent from a year earlier. June sales were up 145 percent. And March sales set a single-month record when nearly 2.6 million firearms were sold nationwide."

• Like 3

My wife teaches ladies beginning handgun classes and they have been shooting her 40 recently. She probably has a couple thousand rounds of reloads for it, but for her classes she wants factory loads. Last night she was at the local grocery/gun store, and bought 4 boxes of 40 ammunition. Think she said she paid $18/box of 50! 
She also ordered a box of 44 Special! They weren’t quite as cheap. $54 by the time they get there. 

When trying to buy ammo in times like these, go to the small gun shops in the rural areas, sure you will pay a little more, but you are not completing with all of the city folks running to the big box stores. Also the little guys are sometimes your friends and neighbors and really appreciate  your business.

• Like 4

I think I already mentioned this but when I was in Australia last, the US was completely dry on 22 ammo and had been for quite a while.
People were standing in line at 6 AM at Walmart to get there one box ration. 

I went into a gun store in Australia and  noticed 22 ammo stacked in the isles on pallets. Guy said he had 30,000 rounds of CCI minimags.  When I told the guy I was from the states and there was no 22 ammo to be found he looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said what the heck are you talking about.  He further went on to say that he could get all the 22 ammo he wanted and how much did I want. 

So here we have a product being manufactured in the United States that we can’t find locally but halfway around the world you can have all you want. 

explain that please.

BTW.  a local gun store here has all the amo you want . It’s not cheap because he bought heavy anticipating this very scenario.  He has instructed his employees to only put a few boxes out on the shelves at a time so that it looks like they’re running out. I know the owner I do his air-conditioning repair I’ve been in his warehouse he has over $1 million worth of ammo stored and is making a killing on it. People come in and buy 15 to 20 boxes of 9 mm at a time. As soon as they walk out the store his employees put another 20 or so boxes out.  It’s out there you just have to know where to look and it’s not gonna be cheap.

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

I think I already mentioned this but when I was in Australia last, the US was completely dry on 22 ammo and had been for quite a while.
People were standing in line at 6 AM at Walmart to get there one box ration. 

I went into a gun store in Australia and  noticed 22 ammo stacked in the isles on pallets. Guy said he had 30,000 rounds of CCI minimags.  When I told the guy I was from the states and there was no 22 ammo to be found he looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said what the heck are you talking about.  He further went on to say that he could get all the 22 ammo he wanted and how much did I want. 

So here we have a product being manufactured in the United States that we can’t find locally but halfway around the world you can have all you want. 

explain that please.

BTW.  a local gun store here has all the amo you want . It’s not cheap because he bought heavy anticipating this very scenario.  He has instructed his employees to only put a few boxes out on the shelves at a time so that it looks like they’re running out. I know the owner I do his air-conditioning repair I’ve been in his warehouse he has over $1 million worth of ammo stored and is making a killing on it. People come in and buy 15 to 20 boxes of 9 mm at a time. As soon as they walk out the store his employees put another 20 or so boxes out.  It’s out there you just have to know where to look and it’s not gonna be cheap.

I know a smaller guy does the same thing. Also with reloading components. And "black " rifles. 

Modern inventory controls (just in time)almost guarantee shortages. Ammo,toilet paper, Lysol spray and apparently now toilet bowl cleaner. 

• Like 1

Most of what is going on falls into 2 categories. 1 is current gun owners hoarding. 2 panic buying by new owners. Now add in that the manufacturers are not putting in extra lines/expanding. So they really can't keep even though they are running 24/7. Know a guy who just moved here, kinda liberal. Decided this summer with the riots in the twin cities that he should have a pistol. Here you have to have a permit to carry or a permit to acquire to buy a handgun/AR/AK. So he gets a permit to acquire and goes to buy a 9MM. While he was there and him not knowing that people were panic buying and hoarding they put out a case of 9MM ammo. By the time the NIC's check was complete and he was ready to pay there was one 50 round box of 9MM left. And this is in a rural area on MN. 3.5 hours from the twin cities. So ammo that was shipped to a foreign country where guns are not so common and more tightly controlled is still in stock were here? With our over 300 million guns in the hands of citizens? 

Rick    

• Thanks 1

Im having a hard time getting stuff from my suppliers, i am also not obsessively trying either, until after the election is over, and these idiots and their rioting is settled down it’s going to be kind of weird in the gun/ammo department 

Edited by FarmallFan
Removed political bias
  • Like 1

I really don't need ammo.  I was in the area and my sole purpose of stopping was a ground blind.  While there I figured I would see if the situation changed.  If anything worse then in July, not better.  I imagine there are a lot of hoarders out there.

Hobbyfarm,

I stopped by Encks gun barn in Meyerstown this afternoon. They had 3 boxes of Remmington Core Lok on the shelf.

They had other ammo and some guns (handguns and long guns) in stock, but pretty scarce picking.

I mainly stopped by to get a price on a Henry Eagle Scout tribute rifle. The woman I was dealing with, told me that Henry is really behind in shipping, they have waited over 3 months for some guns that they ordered and haven't received.

2 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

Hobbyfarm,

I stopped by Encks gun barn in Meyerstown this afternoon. They had 3 boxes of Remmington Core Lok on the shelf.

They had other ammo and some guns (handguns and long guns) in stock, but pretty scarce picking.

I mainly stopped by to get a price on a Henry Eagle Scout tribute rifle. The woman I was dealing with, told me that Henry is really behind in shipping, they have waited over 3 months for some guns that they ordered and haven't received.

It is crazy with everything.  A entry door is 3 months out, 6 months if painted.  Windows which were 2 weeks from Viwinco (local) are now 5 weeks.  I'm going to stop back at Richland shooters some time.  They treated us well.

Son was at Fin Feather and Fur today. Madhouse. Stocking day. Limited sales. So people send every relative tbey have to buy. Plus they jack up the posted price. Get to the register and its still they regular price in the system!

I meant to say that they had 3 boxes of .243 on the shelf!

They had quite a bit of ammo, the shelves were not full, but not empty either.

I might stop at Richland this weekend, will look for you there also.

5 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

And destroyed the economy of Sidney, NE in the process.

What's Sidney?

14 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

What's Sidney?

The town where Cabelas head quarters were. I believe it started in the small town, but cannot say that for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

Hobbyfarm,

Bought my son a Henry 22LR Eagle Scout and gave it to him during his Eagle ceremony......beautiful rifle.....

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gonzo 1066 said:

It amazes me how stupid people are.  

On Election Day your going to see that they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay dumber then you could ever imagine .

• Like 3