Farmall m radiator question

Youngred2000

Hello everyone  I have started to work on my super M and discovered its radiator is shot, however I have a older M parts tractor I believe it's a 41 it has a different radiator bracket and don't have a overflow tube at the filler kneck of the radiator and also has the old style radiator cap. My question is would this radiator work on my super M? Thanks 

Just have your radiator shop unsolder and switch the neck from the failed pressurized radiator to the non-pressurized radiator.  We have this done many times and it works fine.  Take the shroud along so that they can put the overflow pipe in the proper position.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Tech said:

Just have your radiator shop unsolder and switch the neck from the failed pressurized radiator to the non-pressurized radiator.  We have this done many times and it works fine.  Take the shroud along so that they can put the overflow pipe in the proper position.

This is what I would do

I’d price a new core for the super M . The m is 75 years old and copper age hardness ,could be brittle under pressure . Just a suggestion 

The radiator is only pressurized if you use a pressurized cap. In the case of the 41 I don't think a pressurized cap will fit. It has the older style neck where the fuel cap will fit or something like that.

It will work in a pinch, but if you're working the tractor it might behoove you to seek out a better solution.

• Like 1

^ what he said 

for every psi of pressure the coolant's boiling point is increased 2-3 degrees I have parted out a lot of Letter Series and the M radiators seem to be in much worse shape than an H radiator of the same age. If you can budget a recore or at least have a radiator shop look at it and change neck I would not use it