Jump to content

Finally found my new snap ring pliers.


wild one
 Share

Recommended Posts

Last winter I tore my tracked skid loader apart in our garage to do some undercarriage work. I needed a large snap ring pliers for bearing replacement and my old Napa pliers gave up on the first one. I looked around and finally got a nice set of eight from Harbor Freight. I needed the largest pliers and it worked well for the disassembly. Several weeks passed and I gradually rounded up all my repair parts and began to reassemble things, but I could not find my new snap ring pliers in the garage. I spent hours searching for my new pliers, but they were nowhere to be  found, not in the machine,not in the sons toolbox, nowhere. Did my dog drag them outside, did the son put them in his service truck? I finally welded up the old NAPA pair and got things back together, but still no snap ring pliers. Months passed and I still would look again for those pliers, but to no avail.

 Last night I was working at replacing a leaking bathtub faucet, when I needed a screwdriver. I went to the laundry room cabinet where we keep household supplies, some household tools and mostly stray junk. I couldn't find a screwdriver so I just kept digging and working through things. Now I usually keep some cheap wrenches in there for household jobs, but the other half of my gear wrench ratchet set appeared. Dug some more and saw what looked like red handled pliers. Nope. My long gone snap ring pliers. Now I told my wife many times I was looking for my lost pliers and was having no luck. I showed here the newly found tools and she replied; Oh is that what you were looking for? The daughters got those out of the garage last winter to pull staples when we pulled up the old carpet. She then calmly turned and walked away. Now I can almost guarantee it was the daughter with the masters degree that decided those pliers with the pointy little tips would work just fine for prying and pulling staples!!!

 I did not say another word to my wife of 38 years and hopefully for many more years, but I will remember the next time she says I don't listen I'll bring up the snap ring pliers!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday I mentioned to mom I want to go to princess auto (your harbor freight) to pick up something, she asks what do you need now, you go there buy something then forget where you put it and have to buy it again! I didn’t have an answer, she was right.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, wild one said:

Last winter I tore my tracked skid loader apart in our garage to do some undercarriage work. I needed a large snap ring pliers for bearing replacement and my old Napa pliers gave up on the first one. I looked around and finally got a nice set of eight from Harbor Freight. I needed the largest pliers and it worked well for the disassembly. Several weeks passed and I gradually rounded up all my repair parts and began to reassemble things, but I could not find my new snap ring pliers in the garage. I spent hours searching for my new pliers, but they were nowhere to be  found, not in the machine,not in the sons toolbox, nowhere. Did my dog drag them outside, did the son put them in his service truck? I finally welded up the old NAPA pair and got things back together, but still no snap ring pliers. Months passed and I still would look again for those pliers, but to no avail.

 Last night I was working at replacing a leaking bathtub faucet, when I needed a screwdriver. I went to the laundry room cabinet where we keep household supplies, some household tools and mostly stray junk. I couldn't find a screwdriver so I just kept digging and working through things. Now I usually keep some cheap wrenches in there for household jobs, but the other half of my gear wrench ratchet set appeared. Dug some more and saw what looked like red handled pliers. Nope. My long gone snap ring pliers. Now I told my wife many times I was looking for my lost pliers and was having no luck. I showed here the newly found tools and she replied; Oh is that what you were looking for? The daughters got those out of the garage last winter to pull staples when we pulled up the old carpet. She then calmly turned and walked away. Now I can almost guarantee it was the daughter with the masters degree that decided those pliers with the pointy little tips would work just fine for prying and pulling staples!!!

 I did not say another word to my wife of 38 years and hopefully for many more years, but I will remember the next time she says I don't listen I'll bring up the snap ring pliers!!

..its OK......we are laughing with you....not at you.....:)...I think a lot of us have similar story's......right through to the Wife's seeming, total indifference......

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wild one said:

Last winter I tore my tracked skid loader apart in our garage to do some undercarriage work. I needed a large snap ring pliers for bearing replacement and my old Napa pliers gave up on the first one. I looked around and finally got a nice set of eight from Harbor Freight. I needed the largest pliers and it worked well for the disassembly. Several weeks passed and I gradually rounded up all my repair parts and began to reassemble things, but I could not find my new snap ring pliers in the garage. I spent hours searching for my new pliers, but they were nowhere to be  found, not in the machine,not in the sons toolbox, nowhere. Did my dog drag them outside, did the son put them in his service truck? I finally welded up the old NAPA pair and got things back together, but still no snap ring pliers. Months passed and I still would look again for those pliers, but to no avail.

 Last night I was working at replacing a leaking bathtub faucet, when I needed a screwdriver. I went to the laundry room cabinet where we keep household supplies, some household tools and mostly stray junk. I couldn't find a screwdriver so I just kept digging and working through things. Now I usually keep some cheap wrenches in there for household jobs, but the other half of my gear wrench ratchet set appeared. Dug some more and saw what looked like red handled pliers. Nope. My long gone snap ring pliers. Now I told my wife many times I was looking for my lost pliers and was having no luck. I showed here the newly found tools and she replied; Oh is that what you were looking for? The daughters got those out of the garage last winter to pull staples when we pulled up the old carpet. She then calmly turned and walked away. Now I can almost guarantee it was the daughter with the masters degree that decided those pliers with the pointy little tips would work just fine for prying and pulling staples!!!

 I did not say another word to my wife of 38 years and hopefully for many more years, but I will remember the next time she says I don't listen I'll bring up the snap ring pliers!!

My toolbox is locked for a reason!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in the late 90’s or maybe the early 2000’s, I was looking for my SnapOn 1” open end / box wrench in my tool box and couldn’t find it. Proceeded to start looking all over where I thought it might be. Couldn’t find it. Ended up using my adjustable wrench. For many many months I kept an eye out for it while I was going about doing other stuff. Until one day I was out and bought me a Craftsman 1” wrench to replace my missing SnapOn. I swear, not a month later, I was in my tool box, and here the missing SnapOn 1” had magically re-appeared. I was like W T F???? Oh well I was happy to have it back. I highly suspect my Dad had it and forgot to put it back and then finally got around to putting it back. Lol. I asked him about it and he didn’t know anything about it. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It pays big , to have a transmission mechanic as a friend. He has every kind of snap ring pliers that you could think of . Doing the pto on the 560 D proved it to me. 
Cause I would have lost my pliers in the move . ?‍♂️???and bought the wrong ones ,why cuss ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We lost a handyman jack once. Almost never used the thing, but, it’s stood in the same corner for 30 years and we new where it was if need be. One day we notice it’s gone. Odd. We didn’t take it out to a field to use it or anything. It’s not in a truck. Odd. 6-8 mos. go by, we forget about it being missing. Suspect it just accidentally got moved to another building and left there, but, it doesn’t really seem to be anywhere. Napa has tool sale. Buy new jack, set it in corner. Neighbor sees new jack in the “ jack corner” and says “ehh, can I just keep your old one then? I’ve been meaning to return that, I came and gabbed it in a pinch about a year ago”.  

Now there are two dangerous jacks in the corner, that we try not to use. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe i need to buy a new post hole digger,we had a danuser 3 point digger that sat in the corner of the shed next to our old loading chute. It has been MIA for probably 10 years now, maybe if i buy a new one whoever borrowed the old one will remember to return it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Similar story.

My Snap-On battery tester went missing 6 months ago.

I questioned my young assistant numerous times and he insisted he last saw it in my CDG.

I rooted through all the $hit and corruption in the van a few times to no avail.

I thought and thought about just WHERE did it go.

I even asked my dealer if I may have given it to him for repairs maybe. Nope.

He offered to sell me another one though.

3 days ago I came up into the kitchen and there it layed on the island.

I asked her "WTH DID THAT COME FROM?"

She said it had been laying under the china cabinet beside my battery booster.

THEN I remembered bringing it home to test the booster and forgot to do so.

Had to eat some crow when my assistant saw it back in it`s correct drawer in the toolchest.

He grinned as he quoted me always telling HIM "It may as well be gone if it ain`t replaced to it`s correct location"

Smart a$$........

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MTO said:

He grinned as he quoted me always telling HIM "It may as well be gone if it ain`t replaced to it`s correct location"

Smart a$$........

Glad to hear that he's trying to keep you inline. And I do mean trying to if that's possible.   LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

be sure to 

14 hours ago, wild one said:

Last winter I tore my tracked skid loader apart in our garage to do some undercarriage work. I needed a large snap ring pliers for bearing replacement and my old Napa pliers gave up on the first one. I looked around and finally got a nice set of eight from Harbor Freight. I needed the largest pliers and it worked well for the disassembly. Several weeks passed and I gradually rounded up all my repair parts and began to reassemble things, but I could not find my new snap ring pliers in the garage. I spent hours searching for my new pliers, but they were nowhere to be  found, not in the machine,not in the sons toolbox, nowhere. Did my dog drag them outside, did the son put them in his service truck? I finally welded up the old NAPA pair and got things back together, but still no snap ring pliers. Months passed and I still would look again for those pliers, but to no avail.

 Last night I was working at replacing a leaking bathtub faucet, when I needed a screwdriver. I went to the laundry room cabinet where we keep household supplies, some household tools and mostly stray junk. I couldn't find a screwdriver so I just kept digging and working through things. Now I usually keep some cheap wrenches in there for household jobs, but the other half of my gear wrench ratchet set appeared. Dug some more and saw what looked like red handled pliers. Nope. My long gone snap ring pliers. Now I told my wife many times I was looking for my lost pliers and was having no luck. I showed here the newly found tools and she replied; Oh is that what you were looking for? The daughters got those out of the garage last winter to pull staples when we pulled up the old carpet. She then calmly turned and walked away. Now I can almost guarantee it was the daughter with the masters degree that decided those pliers with the pointy little tips would work just fine for prying and pulling staples!!!

 I did not say another word to my wife of 38 years and hopefully for many more years, but I will remember the next time she says I don't listen I'll bring up the snap ring pliers!!

next time you cant find them just ask if anyone has seen the red handled staple pullers

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't remember the last time everything was where it belonged, back in June headed towards the tool room with multiple armloads. Then I realized the rest o the missing wrenches and sockets were in the truck. Missing screwdrivers and drills were still in the house from the basement project. Don't bother to pick up all the tools under the baler got to have all that stuff to put it back together. The bad part is there is nobody to blame but this old guy.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Wild One it will not matter you are still going to lose.  my wife did that with a 1 1/8 inch wrench.  looked for ever ended up using 3/4" drive socket to take out a oil drain plug, about a month later the wrench reappears.  It had been in the horse barn for pulling tank heaters out of water troughs.  I got more 1 1/8" wrenches so I would not be short again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, stronger800 said:

We lost a handyman jack once. Almost never used the thing, but, it’s stood in the same corner for 30 years and we new where it was if need be. One day we notice it’s gone. Odd. We didn’t take it out to a field to use it or anything. It’s not in a truck. Odd. 6-8 mos. go by, we forget about it being missing. Suspect it just accidentally got moved to another building and left there, but, it doesn’t really seem to be anywhere. Napa has tool sale. Buy new jack, set it in corner. Neighbor sees new jack in the “ jack corner” and says “ehh, can I just keep your old one then? I’ve been meaning to return that, I came and gabbed it in a pinch about a year ago”.  

Now there are two dangerous jacks in the corner, that we try not to use. 

I laughed out loud when the neighbor asked if he could keep the old jack!   He lived next to Us too!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...