Agco-Allis....opinions

I've been kind of passively looking for a boxcar magnum for my big square baler. Wife likes baling, but hates running the 6588. She doesn't like how it steers, how it shifts, and it is loud. 

I stumbled across a mid 90's Agco-Allis 9655 with around 4000 hrs. A little research shows that these tractors are powered by an IH 466 rebadged as a Detroit. Transmission is a Funk 18 speed powershift that is also in some White and New Holland tractors of that era. Looks to me like a poor man's magnum, but I might struggle to get by the fugly factor.

Anybody have experience or opinions on these tractors?

I’m not sure that much is interchangeable with the IH 466’s, seems brother in law had one in a gen set that’s a Detroit 40 series but has Navistar part numbers on it.

• Like 1

Agco with parts................Yuck.   

Not sure how much quieter you can go than a 6*88..............The one here has a clapped out cab interior and its still quiet, has a muffler on it though, running flat out on the tub grinder sitting in it you would never know it was WOT if you were blind, the engine and noise is quite a distance away from the cab! 

Isn't that the one that has wiring/transmission processor issues. 

I have a 9630 which is the baby of that series with the duetz. It’s a nice tractor to drive, parts are available and that’s the good news. It seems to have some transmission faults that I can’t seem to fix, only effects the shuttle shifting. They dont stop the tractor but it beeps at you constantly when I’m loading with it. Other then that it is very handy and steers very sharp for an older 4wd. 

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I’m not sure that much is interchangeable with the IH 466’s, seems brother in law had one in a gen set that’s a Detroit 40 series but has Navistar part numbers on it.

X2

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Agco with parts................Yuck.   

Not sure how much quieter you can go than a 6*88..............The one here has a clapped out cab interior and its still quiet, has a muffler on it though, running flat out on the tub grinder sitting in it you would never know it was WOT if you were blind, the engine and noise is quite a distance away from the cab! 

My thoughts too, I shudder dealing with Agco for parts.  Cousin has some Massey and Deutz stuff that I always get stuck working on

Never cared for the electric style tranny, but I think u would have to go quit a bit newer to get a quieter cab. Tried balling with the 3588 I used to have and it was hard to get used to. It was the older style round baker u have to weave to start a bale.

Funk trans, same as white, new holland and Deere. The dt 466 is the new generation. It is not a Detroit. It is a Navistar IHC designed engine provided to Detroit, Perkins and a couple other brands through rebadging. Again for the 110th time it is not a Detroit. It is the updated version of the 466 and if not what the first magnums were to be outfitted with and. the later versions would have been. The 466 ng was available in pump line nozzle then in electronic unit injector developed with Caterpillar. An interesting not there was video on here about Bud Youle and a 10 liter engine in the 7688.  The Dt 466 ng was available in 408, 466, 530 and 570 displacement. Up to 300 some hp. When Bud Youle mentions 10 liter which he referred to as a L10 Cummins they mounted you can bet by 1985 IHC had these engines at least in planning stages and partial development. The new gen engines were available in 91 by Navistar which was pretty quick design time by a new company formed in 87. You can bet they had planning on theses engines already in 85 when IHC sold out.

• Like 2

I would definitely think that the one thing that could be a problem is the electronics, engine and trans are pretty solid. ZF front axle is a way better turning as far as sharpness then pretty much any axle from that time period. They would have been competing with the 7200 CHI line I believe. If the shuttle shift didn’t give me as many errors as it does it would be very handy. In general it shifts very nice except from 9 to 10th gear both up and down.  The rest of the gears are very smooth. 

Here are pics of the original dt 466 and what is the new generation block.the block architecture is similar but not same bore and stroke as original dt 466. The new block has relief grooves for bigger crank throws, more stroke. John Deere did the same with their engines to get more inches. The higher mount injection pump freed up space for air compressor auxiliary mounting. The mechanical and pretty much the electronic 466 version are good engines some people gripe about them but they are good engines.

EA1F2231-DA26-4819-B243-601ABC4AD881.png

106D15F0-366C-4DAA-AC44-10CBA0CF8355.png

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Funk trans, same as white, new holland and Deere. The dt 466 is the new generation. It is not a Detroit. It is a Navistar IHC designed engine provided to Detroit, Perkins and a couple other brands through rebadging. Again for the 110th time it is not a Detroit. It is the updated version of the 466 and if not what the first magnums were to be outfitted with and. the later versions would have been. The 466 ng was available in pump line nozzle then in electronic unit injector developed with Caterpillar. An interesting not there was video on here about Bud Youle and a 10 liter engine in the 7688.  The Dt 466 ng was available in 408, 466, 530 and 570 displacement. Up to 300 some hp. When Bud Youle mentions 10 liter which he referred to as a L10 Cummins they mounted you can bet by 1985 IHC had these engines at least in planning stages and partial development. The new gen engines were available in 91 by Navistar which was pretty quick design time by a new company formed in 87. You can bet they had planning on theses engines already in 85 when IHC sold out.

We said it was marketed as a Detroit 40 series by them.

id say as long as you have good dealer support close by would be a deciding factor - ive driven variants of older stuff, AC, White, Oliver and MF - fav would be the White or MF, both had the 358 perkins in them - the AC was older WD45, D15, D17 and Oliver was a 66. I realize these are not really that big like what you are talking about but nothing monumental over them and our others that would shy me away. Everything has its quirks to some degree. 

Since nobody said run fast run far, 😉 you better get the operator 's option. If it sits wrong or controls don't suit your not ahead buying it. Have fun keeping the most expensive, 😉 cheap operator happy.

Thanks for all the information. Tractor is on a retirement auction next month. (If it was a consignment I'm sure I would run). I'll have to talk to the owner and take it for a test drive and go from there.  fwiw we do have a local AC dealer that has been here forever.

From what I've read one of the wiring problems in those is simple corrosion in the bulkhead connector.