Pops called to say the 410 died i grabbed a filter and we went down, changed the filter, bled it away she went.. about 3 minutes, it quit.he said it ran better than ever before it died though, had been loosing power. Bled again, about 2 mins later it quits. Gave up and hauled it home, itl run about 1-2 mins and quit, couple mins later itl start again... filled the fuel tank, thinking to rule out fuel pump.. didn't seem to make a difference .. any thoughts where to start i am open to suggestions. 

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Pops called to say the 410 died i grabbed a filter and we went down, changed the filter, bled it away she went.. about 3 minutes, it quit.he said it ran better than ever before it died though, had been loosing power. Bled again, about 2 mins later it quits. Gave up and hauled it home, itl run about 1-2 mins and quit, couple mins later itl start again... filled the fuel tank, thinking to rule out fuel pump.. didn't seem to make a difference .. any thoughts where to start i am open to suggestions. 

Rosa master pump? If so, e-ring failure maybe? Take the return check valve and see if it's filled with crap. If it is, pump job time. It just reminds me of a plugged return line issue 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its not a roosa master.. i was looking at it today and i cant think but o dint think that was it. 

53 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Its not a roosa master.. i was looking at it today and i cant think but o dint think that was it. 

standyne then    remove the return line at pump

blow out lines

go to temp tank and 1 good filter....leads back to pump issue

• Like 1

Should be similar to this pump, you'll probably find the return check valve plugged with rubber bits. You can knock the ball out of the check valve to get it moving but ultimately the pump needs repair.

20200517_123652.jpg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

+1 on the return 

What does a return get plugged with ? If not crap from a failing pump? 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

What does a return get plugged with ? If not crap from a failing pump? 

Looks like ground up rubber. There is a check valve on the return coming out of the pump. Inside the pump is a elastic ring that after so long breaks apart and requires a rebuild.

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

Looks like ground up rubber. There is a check valve on the return coming out of the pump. Inside the pump is a elastic ring that after so long breaks apart and requires a rebuild.

I would say it kind looks like coffee grounds?

Is the pick up in the tank OK?

On my ford there was a yellow plastic vent cap from a 5 gallon fuel can floating around in the tank and it would suck up to the pick up cut off the fuel and the tractor would stall then it would restart when you tried it.

This only happened when I was pushing up piles of material   

It is raining today and i had to go to do the kind of work that pays bills after my class, same deal tomorrow, 🤬hopefully ill get a chance to dig in Thursday or Friday.. stay tuned, ill look into all of this. 

Dug in a little more today, had a little bubble in the filter visible once  i got that !@$&ing hood off. Tried bleeding it and while struggling with the bleeder /lift pump realized it was drooling down my hand. Suggests to me i need to start with the drooling(probably air leaking) And possibly not really pumping lift pump. 
stay tuned

39 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Suggests to me i need to start with the drooling(probably air leaking

That is where I would start at since you found that.

Broken flex ring in the Roosa / Stanadyne DB / DB2 pumps is very common. The return gets plugged with the bits and it loses power and will only idle, or dies. If it restarts without priming it's likely this issue. If you have to bleed it before it'll start, then it's likely starving it on the supply side.

• Like 1
On 10/20/2020 at 1:06 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

Rags in the tank can also cause it.

What are the rags from?

An unsuccessful fire for an insurance claim :) 

In my tank I found three of the plastic spout caps!!

You would think after loosing one they would take it off before re-fueling the next time. 

I put the new lift pump in, and bled the machine, barely runs, cracked 3 of 4 injectors, got fuel there, but it barely runs, i took the return line off, blew through, no gunk apparent. When i crack this plug shown in the pic, it starts and runs like a raped ape but of course it pules diesel everywhere. Does this point to flex ring or other internal injector pump issues? 

6F1BCAD6-4551-4631-95FB-D0DDEB9AA0D1.jpeg

On 10/20/2020 at 7:20 AM, mjcolemn said:

Should be similar to this pump, you'll probably find the return check valve plugged with rubber bits. You can knock the ball out of the check valve to get it moving but ultimately the pump needs repair.

20200517_123652.jpg

Bingo. I went back and reread took this out and found some gunk. Now shes running wide open. Again, back to internal pump failure?

E63F8DDA-06CE-4F78-A852-EC5AF0AFF808.jpeg

DA8A1683-B762-4963-9DA0-1E3ED8B246D2.jpeg

532FECCB-E47B-4577-9FEE-8272B2440EB5.jpeg

4D75C34D-D9D9-4EC1-9469-E1B1DFADB315.jpeg

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Bingo. I went back and reread took this out and found some gunk. Now shes running wide open. Again, back to internal pump failure?

E63F8DDA-06CE-4F78-A852-EC5AF0AFF808.jpeg

DA8A1683-B762-4963-9DA0-1E3ED8B246D2.jpeg

532FECCB-E47B-4577-9FEE-8272B2440EB5.jpeg

4D75C34D-D9D9-4EC1-9469-E1B1DFADB315.jpeg

Yes sir. Classic sign of e-ring failure.

3 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

What are the rags from?

An unsuccessful fire for an insurance claim :)  

I guess they lost the cap and tried to improvise?  Who know, but they sometimes get in there 

Yep, loosening the head locking screw(5/16 bolt on the side) allows the housing pressure to bleed off, and allow it to run normal. Knock the ball and spring out of the return fitting and use it until you can have it down for a little bit to get properly rebuilt.