New Holland Box Manure Spreader repair... update

Back in April there was a thread in Coffee Shop about repair of a New Holland 195 Box Manure Spreader. Here is link to it... https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/129648-nh-195-box-spreader-repair/

I participated in the discussion because I had a gear case problem with a similar design New Holland spreader.  I just recently got the gear case dismantled. It was a S.O.B. to say the least. After much study and thought, I determined that the only way that I could get the shear hub off the apron shaft to disassemble the gear case  was to sacrifice the shear hub. Pictures below show what I had to do to get the gearbox dismantled. I have captioned pictures with explanations.

The tapered roller bearing for the input shaft in the top of the gear case had failed. The input shaft was bent and had wear damage where it spun in the inner bearing race. The shaft is not repairable in my opinion. It will be replaced. The end cap surrounding the input shaft where it enters the gear case was damaged and will be replaced. The shear hub which I sacrificed/ destroyed in order to disassemble the gear case will, of course, be replaced. New oil seals and a wave washer finish the new parts list. Total for parts is $651.77. 

This was stated in the thread of April:   

On 4/27/2020 at 9:46 AM, Gearclash said:

My experience is with the 195s, so your gearbox may be a little different, but here goes.  The big gear in the worm gearbox is made of a brass outer part that the teeth are cut into, and a steel center that drives the output.  The oil level in it should be high enough that it completely covers that gear, thus the worm itself would be slightly submerged in oil.  I wouldn’t be surprised the brass is extremely worn in your gearbox.

---------------------------

The gear in my spreader is all steel, no ring of brass gear teeth around it. My gear teeth show some wear,  I'd guess 1 mm or so . Lots of life left in it, it'll do me as long as I need a spreader. 

003 (Large).JPG

002 (Large).JPG

NH 155 gearbox 3.JPG

NH 155 gearbox 7.JPG

001 (Large).JPG

003 (Large).JPG

005 (Large).JPG

001 (Large).JPG

006 (Large).JPG

NH 155 gearbox 5.JPG

4 minutes ago, 7and8and1456 said:

NH 155 gearbox 3.JPG

Boy I must have really gotten lucky. I was able to take the snap ring (16) off from behind the gear box and pull out the shear hub and replace with a new part. $165 in parts and a couple hours of labor and I was spreading political promises on the field again. I'm sorry your effort was a bit more involved.

Jesse

9 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

Boy I must have really gotten lucky. I was able to take the snap ring (16) off from behind the gear box and pull out the shear hub and replace with a new part. $165 in parts and a couple hours of labor and I was spreading political promises on the field again. I'm sorry your effort was a bit more involved.

Jesse

You were lucky. VERY lucky.  You do not know how lucky you were !