Clamp on duals

ky966boy

3 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

X2.

We use to put  over 150hp through four. 

Hard to believe you didn't snap any, or break out the centers????   Couldn't keep 9 bolts tight here or the bolt holes breaking out at that level, knew guys who broke centers out with 6 pull out the guts with less power than that.  

Got 10 bolt, 9 bolt, 4 clamp, 6 threaded hook, and 8 threaded hook. Have never had an issue with any types, but never ran any non hub duals on a wheel that was not a wedge type main wheel.  Now back in the 60s there were many case 730 & 830s around the neighborhood and they did not like the clamp/hook duals. A couple broken axles and or housings every spring. Can't recall a single one around on a 30/4010/20 or a 7/806/56. Just the bolts busting on the non wedge IHs.

I don’t see a problem with clamp on duals, it’s the system I’ve had the most experience with, never less than 4 clamps, 6-8 usually on a 100-160 horsepower tractor, usually when installing the eyes the bolts need to be replaced with longer ones to accommodate the original nut and the eye, if the spacer ring gets deformed from dropping the duals it can definitely make it difficult to get it seated and more frequent adjustments could be needed but besides that I think they are fairly trouble free

• 6 months later...

I finally got to try out the duals they lowered they butt puckering factor a lot now if I don’t take out a gate post I’ll be  ok.

5AE854D6-3CCD-4CF4-9C9A-4677F0B2A737.jpeg

• Like 5

We always run the duals on a two wheel drive a few psi lower than the drives so there is less stress on axles and it turns easier.     Have never heard about the 150hp “rule”.    Tons of big four wheel drives run band duals

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nate said:

We always run the duals on a two wheel drive a few psi lower than the drives so there is less stress on axles and it turns easier.     Have never heard about the 150hp “rule”.    Tons of big four wheel drives run band duals

Yes I’m running them lower psi .

47 minutes ago, nate said:

Most of those big 4x4's have out-board planetaries with heavy, heavy inside rims to anchor too...............Not a cast center with a ton of holes in it on a bar axle.  "Here" they had big issues with clamp on's with clamp hub centers, the wedge locks took it better.  

• Like 1

Lots of clamp on duals around here at one time. There aren’t many left any more. Worst part about them is having to take them off. If we had an inside dual go flat, you knew it was going to be a bad day. It is much more difficult than axle mount to remove them. When I was young my dad would never buy an impact wrench and that really deep socket that we needed for those long bolts. I hated installing and removing those bolts with only open end wrenches. After we got the bolts off we could never get the duals to come loose. We would always have to drive in a tight circle to get them to pop off which meant they would fall on the ground. We didn’t have a skid steer either. I could just barely pick up an 18.4-38 dual by myself, I doubt if I I could any more. I don’t miss them. 

• Like 1

I can install an 18.4 38, by myself, in about five minutes, with no tools. Actually I have a 2 foot piece of pipe that I use, they are snap on instead of an actual bolt and nut  clamp. Same as what he has above. Bigger tires are harder.  Definitely takes a second person to help remove them though if you don’t want to risk having one fall over. We put a 4 x 4 on the ground lengthways and you drive over it, it pops the tire loose at the bottom and then walks it off the top in the next half of revolution. Guy standing beside the Tractor holds the tire from falling over

• Like 1

I've got clamp on duals for my 38's and 34's. Only ever ran 4 clamps on both sets. I do check them after a couple hours once, then go on. My 1486 has 9 bolts and the first set of hub mounts we've ever had. You'll be fine. Pull up on a block of wood, 2 2×6's work good. When you go to remove them stick a bar in through the hole and gently pry them off. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 6:15 PM, ky966boy said:

I finally got to try out the duals they lowered they butt puckering factor a lot now if I don’t take out a gate post I’ll be  ok.

5AE854D6-3CCD-4CF4-9C9A-4677F0B2A737.jpeg

I run duals on one of my tractors just for the same reasons pulling dual rakes on very steep hills. I would rather move out the wheels on it though but for two reasons I don't.

One the wedge locks have been in place so long I really don't want to mess with them.Two ,where I store it in winter width is a issue.Just remember your only extending one side of your foot print on a hill and putting stress on the lower outside side clamp on. Your width between inner wheels has not changed and your high side outside dual is doing nothing to help you and really if you hit something with it acts as a lever to push you over. That's why those big wide rear tires on these new 4wds are prone to roll. There have been several manure hauling Mennonites roll their Fendts on farms next to mine.Big wide tires and they think there safe,too dumb to realize inside to inside of tread width is were you get your safety not outside.

• Like 1