Clamp on duals

ky966boy

Thinking of buying some clamp on duals for mowing hills do they work for  this . I know axle duals are better but they are hard to find here and high when you do find them. Not worried about traction just stability

22 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Thinking of buying some clamp on duals for mowing hills do they work for  this . I know axle duals are better but they are hard to find here and high when you do find them. Not worried about traction just stability

Also long as you aren't trying to support all the weight on the dual like in a ditch or something they will work fine.  Not a fan of clamp on's myself, but alot of tractors that were ordered new here had short axles which limited hub use.  Then I really like when guys haul tractors in from other areas of the country with nice long axles and then fire up the chop saw and hack them off almost right at the centers with the wheels set at 60"...........I could cry.  

• Thanks 1

Rule of thumb I heard was 100 horsepower limit for clamp on duals.  If you’re not doing serious tillage or bouncing around on uneven ground though;  I think the clamp on’s should give you the stability you want.  Good luck.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, axial_al said:

Rule of thumb I heard was 100 horsepower limit for clamp on duals.  If you’re not doing serious tillage or bouncing around on uneven ground though;  I think the clamp on’s should give you the stability you want.  Good luck.

There’s lots of wheat farmers who would disagree with you. I had a Allis 7045 with clamp ons and it was turned up above 150. Every Versitile tractor I ever farmed with had clamp on duals. The only issue I have ever heard of is you can’t row crop with them. 

• Like 2

Clamp on duals are fine. Like said if you are doing serious tillage go ahead and get hub duals.     But for light tillage  mowing hills you will be fine.   

Just make sure they have good tread as well  you don't want to spin out when your bald tire is carrying the weight,  been there 

• Like 1

Thanks. We have ran 4 sets for almost 40 years, with no issues. 7-8 clamps on the 20.8’s but only 5 on the smaller ones, 4 on 18.4-34’s (and it’s had over 150 hp run through them on 21’ disks, for a long time). Tires are all getting pretty worn though. 

That auction with the expensive weights last week, looking at the sales when the link was posted I noticed a set of clamp on duals with pretty decent tires sold for $150-200.   That’s what we use to give for just the rims. Where as 9 bolt duals brought $1500-1800 I think it was. That’s more of a difference than a little coffee money right there. 

Best thing about clamp-ons for me was that I could put them on and off by myself.  34" DMI Lok Rails with 6 clamps.

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

Best thing about clamp-ons for me was that I could put them on and off by myself.  34" DMI Lok Rails with 6 clamps.

Granted a 12-38 6 ply on a 10 or 11-38 steel disk wheel is way lighter than an 18.4x34 would be,  but Dad got a second pair of tapered guide studs for our direct axle duals, two per hub/wheel,  and set a short piece of 2x6 along side the wheel he wanted to put the dual next to,  hub already installed and tightened. Roll the dual up onto the board tipped slightly away from the tractor, when the wheels bolt circle gets close to the hub tip the wheel upright and see if the two starter bolts line up with any holes, if so, install a lug bolt with one hand while holding the tire up.  Then snug up the lug bolt with 4-way wheel wrench, or with ratchet and socket,  install remaining lug bolts.  Without power tools it wasn't fast, but not impossible.

Dad bought a set of clamp-on duals for the M when he planted corn it it for 2-3 years. Spring of '68 Dad hooked the SH to the planter about 1-2 weeks after we got it. Spring of '69 we installed the home-made clamp-on duals before hooking to the planter.  He did buy the tapered spacers and had a welding shop burn the hooks he welded onto the rims cut out, and a machine shop turn lengths of 3/4" bar with some left and and right hand threads for the turnbuckles.  They worked good for the 3-4 years we used them.  The last 20 acres of corn We planted the last year he farmed, I went out about 7AM and started disking ahead of the planter,  made 4-5 rounds around the outside, and started on the west side of the field. Dad came out about 8 AM,  dropped the planter in the ground, went about 20 feet, stopped checked planting depth, adjusted the depth,  this field had been fall plowed, one pass with the disk and it turned into a big sandbox, really mellow. Planted another 20 feet, adjusted planter, think he did that 4 times total. I'm about 7-8 acres into the 20 before he starts planting back and forth. He plants 4-5 rounds and is just starting down a short but kinda steep hill and the left dual parts company with the tractor accelerates down the hill, slows as it starts up the other side, stops and falls over right exactly where the next 4 rows need to go. Dad pulls up till the frt wheels of the tractor bump the dual, gets off and rolls the dual off into the planted rows, gets on the tractor and takes off.  I'm watching all this from 200+/- ft away,  almost falling off the tractor I'm running I'm laughing so hard.

The morale of this story is run a heavy wire or chain through the turnbuckles so the can't loosen and if one comes loose it can't get away from you, it will bang on the rim and let you know it's loose.  We only ran three turnbuckles on the SH & M, 4 would have been better because you had 3 left if one loosened. 2 didn't hold it real long.

I guess I have never been told about the 100 HP limit but I guess it’s ok to Error on the side of caution. 

We never had any issues with them but I can see how they could be . 

Pretty sure it came this way , I don’t remember ever seeing this tractor without em.

D7E81D79-8706-4114-98FC-8E50D188FB35.thumb.jpeg.ab59025f92f546189ffff275e005eba5.jpeg

F9640D6E-D091-4869-9118-BF7F2B729D6F.thumb.jpeg.b757d1f458fc1dd6d93cbed0de629cad.jpeg

E526283A-CAF5-4D58-B117-90EF1BD184E6.thumb.jpeg.85c4326ddd345668fa4eca7fb743021e.jpeg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ky966boy said:

They run them around here a lot for mowing hills I've never heard anybody complain that does

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KY2674 said:

If you have 9 bolt hubs I've got a set of 18.4-38 wheels and tires you can have. Not much but hold air. In Smith's Grove  area. 

I wish I did you know where any is at reasonable priced .Im in Glasgow.

3 hours ago, ky966boy said:

I wish I did you know where any is at reasonable priced .Im in Glasgow.

Not offhand. I could probably come up with some 3.5 but I'm assuming you need 3.25 inch hubs. Your more than welcome to the wheels and tires, just been leaning against the shed for a few years. 

17 minutes ago, KY2674 said:

Not offhand. I could probably come up with some 3.5 but I'm assuming you need 3.25 inch hubs. Your more than welcome to the wheels and tires, just been leaning against the shed for a few years. 

Have a 1086 and a 1486 Duals on either one would be ok

I've got a pair of hubs but one was run loose and 3 of the nine holes broke off. I'm sure Drane equipment in Harned KY will have some. 

11 hours ago, ky966boy said:

Have a 1086 and a 1486 Duals on either one would be ok

I think both of those are 3.5 inches.  I'll look in the morning but I should have something. 

1 hour ago, KY2674 said:

I've got a pair of hubs but one was run loose and 3 of the nine holes broke off. I'm sure Drane equipment in Harned KY will have some. 

I think both of those are 3.5 inches.  I'll look in the morning but I should have something. 

Drane thinks he has a set of m and w for $275 but I found a set of clamp on about 3 miles from me that might work better for me I wouldn’t have to move me wheels back in to install these . Thinking I would to put axle hubs on.

image.jpg

Bought this off our good neighbor last year. First tractor we have had with hubs in it. I believe they have been on it since it was new or near new, so I’m leaving them (I have the dual wheels and we do use them, since they are there) but man they make me me nervous each time I’m backing it into the garage or shed, where space is Tight sometimes.  And they barely stick out at all, compared to what you guys are talking.  image.thumb.jpg.4801bcd70f6e9cfde8b8fe9301b46b17.jpgA354EC47-3335-4EDC-A0B1-1BD08F13C033.thumb.jpeg.4436c6e035e1a8d9ab9ad0550f0a6236.jpeg

Personally i would NOT take a pair of snap on duals as a gift. I remember when i was in high school and dad had 806# 13118 with 18.4 X 34's the tire dealer sold him a pair of economy duals in the 14.9 X 38 with new tires. They matched pretty darn good but we were for ever breaking those bolts on the hub on the inside wheel. Pulling 2 15ft K 2 Krause One Way Plows created a lot of side draft We kept extra bolts at the shop and yes change a pair every month or so. Dad was pretty tight and would not spend a lot on stuff. I guess that is why i always purchased direct axle hub duals. Not good memories of the snap on duals

Guys here have broke centers as well................Seemed to be more common on the red flavor as the green guys didn't seem to have the same pull its guts out mentality.  Like everything else, was around clamp ons growing up, thought they were the norm.  Then I was exposed to 10 bolt duals, after having those, its hard to go back to 9 bolts, let alone clamp ons.  Put the 10 bolts on, they stay tight, rims don't crack, and never come loose.

Well I’ve spent the whole day running came up with a set of firestone rims and some about 75% tires going to try it a see how it goes . Rims were on a 2090 case parts tractor and only had 4 binder things each thought about 6 was the norm might try to get a few more . Seems like I almost started an oil thread. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...