Buddy and I went and woke up a 1955 AC HD9 with a 4-71 yesterday after it had a long nap.  He replaced one injector and we got her fired up!  The left clutch is stuck, but the undercarriage is in excellent shape.  She motors along pretty well for being older than I am!

IMG_20201018_114940075.jpg

IMG_20201018_151758994.jpg

IMG_20201018_151839690.jpg

IMG_20201018_151922051.jpg

IMG_20201018_151940513.jpg

• Like 2

Quite the challenge there Rawleigh.  Not to be critical, but the tracks are on backwards incase you didn't know.  Much better wear life if on the right way.  Good luck and have fun with it.

Dennis

Hopefully the track issue is the biggest mistake the previous mechanic made. Not being a engine expert and DD being a bit different too. Since it has 3 valves per cylinder is this one of the higher horse modifications. 

I have a cousin that has a fleet of HD 9's and has been into the higher HP modes. But then he has final drive trouble. 

Congrats get a good pair or muffs and plugs, it does look clean😍

"Since it has 3 valves per cylinder is this one of the higher horse modifications. "

Two valve head.

Center rocker operates injector.

Yea, it is a low deck head. Two valve.   Buddy is a Detroit mechanic so I should be OK there.  I really don't want to wrestle those tracks if I can help it.  What is the downside of running them as is?

6 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I really don't want to wrestle those tracks if I can help it.  What is the downside of running them as is?

Tracks will load up with dirt.

Rawleigh99,  Bushing and sprocket wear is greatly increased when run backward.  When the bushings run through the sprocket they naturally rotate a small amount in the sprocket.  When installed properly the rotation happens when the bushing is leaving the sprocket at the top under near zero load.  When on backwards the rotation happens at the bottom of the sprocket under its heaviest load.  Meaning a lot of unnecessary added wear.  This is probably the greatest negative of running them backwards.

As already mentioned the track pads do not clean well when backwards, another disadvantage.

Your choice of course but if it is going to be used much, I would not want to add additional wear to an undercarriage you may not be able to find replacement for.

Good on you, getting it running and moving

Dennis

....actually,   the only time you can make money with a  crawler......is when you are backing up ,ready for the next push.......you can never make money pushing forward.....so tread carefully, Rawleigh.....:rolleyes:...:)

Mike

With one clutch stuck I will probably just wind up going in circles!!!  LOL!  The good news is I am cleaning up tornado damage in the woods at one of my farms, so it is not a money making job.

21 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

With one clutch stuck I will probably just wind up going in circles!!!  LOL!  The good news is I am cleaning up tornado damage in the woods at one of my farms, so it is not a money making job.

...Yeah......sure ...I figured that one out......but when you operate and repair your own machines.....(track machines ...)a little of the excitement dwindles....:(

Mike

post-157-1203158671.jpg

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

)a little of the excitement dwindles.

Truer words have never been spoken !     Mighty rugged looking country there Mike, put a good shine on the kitty blade . D7 ?