International 500c leaking trans oil

Hello and thank you for adding me to the forum. I am looking at a 1970-71 International 500C, gas engine with the torque converter. Seller says it started leaking trans fluid around the bell housing area. Any idea what this could be? Would parts be available for this machine? I'm a bit of a newbie with the crawlers so bare with me. I am mechanically inclined so I'm not worried about doing the work, I am worried about part accessibility. Seller wants $2 grand. Does this seem like a decent deal?

20201017_103606.jpg

20201017_103524.jpg

20201017_103548.jpg

20201017_103557.jpg

1 hour ago, mx120 said:

Would parts be available for this machine?

Not likely through IH.  Dresser might have seals and easy to find parts, but pretty much everything on that machine would have to be rebuilt. 

1 hour ago, mx120 said:

Seller says it started leaking trans fluid around the bell housing area.

Could be a number of things.  Without seeing the leak and doing some inspecting, who knows.  May just be a shaft seal on the converter.  Might be the converter.  Might be a hose up top leaking out down.  Maybe the owner doesn't know his fluids and it's engine oil.  Hard to say. 

1 hour ago, mx120 said:

Seller wants $2 grand. Does this seem like a decent deal?

I've seen these for sale before.  That's about going rate.  Probably a decent price if you can fix it yourself and it is in otherwise good shape.  

20 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Not likely through IH.  Dresser might have seals and easy to find parts, but pretty much everything on that machine would have to be rebuilt. 

What do you mean everything would need rebuilt? 

Any suggestions on if the machine is worth messing with? Going to go look at it again in the morning. Anything in particular I should look for? The Tracks look pretty thin as far as the (tread). I'm not really sure though. 

There are some good resource people on the construction side, might want to post over there. Might have to be patient to get your info and they may need better pictures, there will not be much available in way of new parts, you will be looking at salvage yards and parts machines, those are loader pads and have a different profile than a dozer. Iirc these machines used metal straps to hold the tc in place like steel banding, they may have broken and now converter has shifted creating the leak, guys have repaired that but it’s precise to get it back into the proper position. They were also available with a 4 in 1 bucket that was very handy but this doesn’t have it.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, mx120 said:

What do you mean everything would need rebuilt? 

New parts aren't available. (Not many anyway.)  If something goes bad, you will have to rebuild it.  So, say the torque converter goes or is leaking.  You will have to send it off to a place that rebuilds torque converters and they will rebuild it and ship it back.  If the hydraulic pump goes, you will likely have to have a hydraulic/machine shop build new parts.  If the radiator springs a leak, you will have to have the old one fixed, recored, whatever.  All the way down to the pins on the bucket and likely the undercarriage.  You will have to have parts made, or rebuild the old parts through specialized shops, or machine/fab shops.  As long as you're OK with that, or if you are a machinist/mechanic then you might love it.  If that's not you, I would avoid this machine. 

• Thanks 1

There are some places that specialize in these smaller parts units, usually there is the same thing that goes on them all and the tc isn’t it, but you won’t know about those issues until that part is repaired to test the other, if the converter didn’t suffer too much damage it could be just straps and seals to repair that portion?

Does the seller live at this property? Looks kind of rough, think he would be willing to take less?

Go search through the topics on the construction side, there are numerous topics on 500’s with their problems and fixes, many in forward reverser spline failures, not sure if this model has straps for the tc or a normal flex plate, the good news is there is offers of interest to start reproduction of some of these parts, undercarriage, clutches etc. They are a handy size for winter garage repair and can handle most size parts with normal tools or hoists. I guess you know going in it is going to require sweat and some money and then what you anticipate using it for when done?

I think the suction hose comes out of the transmission on the lower right front and there is a removable screen behind that.  It is a possible leak spot that would be cheap to fix.