Will running a disc ripper increase yields?

I am thinking about buying a disc ripper but want some input if running one would help increase yields. I live in south central Illinois where most of my ground is light timber soil and some clay.

Disk ripper vs what?

Versus long term no till? Probably, but you sacrifice a lot in soil health and erosion control

Versus moldboard plow? Not much, but a little

Versus 7/9 shank old school chisel plow? None on the tillage side, but probably some on the residue management side.  It should also only need a single pass in the spring so you save some money there.

25 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

In the right soil yes.  In the right year yes  it like picking the best corn you’ll never really know

Isnt this the truth?

Everyone has diff dirt and conditions.  Guy in upstate NY does no-till silage fine.  Here its show thigh high corn.   My high ground a nice IH 55 chisel after discing in the wheat cover is good...then a disc/ roller and plant.  Uncles field 4 miles away...plow and see improved yields vs areas we tried just chiseling.  My low ground....ugh... muck or brick.  Getting better with manure and full tillage but 10 years ago it barely grew grass.  Were growing the soil and happen to get feed off it i say.  We did have custom guy disc rip our out of control rye cover this spring for hope of loosening soil and were verrrrry impressed.  Very even yield across whole field.  See how it looks in the spring after we limed it after chopping.

So ..It depends....is best answer😉

Supposedly in rippers if you use them in too wet of conditions you do more damage than good. This is what all the salesman and university guys say I have never owned or used one 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

In the right soil yes.  In the right year yes  it like picking the best corn you’ll never really know

Exactly! How many falls in 5 year's as a example is it dry enough to use a disk ripper for what it's intended for? I bought a 875 ripper in 2017. '17 wasn't a bad fall for using it. '18 was way too wet. '19 wasn't a ideal fall. I sold it in September. People who called me about just couldn't understand why I would get rid of it, and I told them how often is it dry enough to use it. I ran a Krause 4809 disk chisel for years and always got the bills paid, then I fell into the ripper fad. Anyway, the 875 got replaced with this 2018 unsold Kuhn Krause 4810 11 shank disk chisel. Kuhn Krause has the highest point trip force on the market, 2000#. In my opinion only, with running that trip force I don't need a ripper.

KIMG0025.JPG

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

Exactly! How many falls in 5 year's as a example is it dry enough to use a disk ripper for what it's intended for? I bought a 875 ripper in 2017. '17 wasn't a bad fall for using it. '18 was way too wet. '19 wasn't a ideal fall. I sold it in September. People who called me about just couldn't understand why I would get rid of it, and I told them how often is it dry enough to use it. I ran a Krause 4809 disk chisel for years and always got the bills paid, then I fell into the ripper fad. Anyway, the 875 got replaced with this 2018 unsold Kuhn Krause 4810 11 shank disk chisel. Kuhn Krause has the highest point trip force on the market, 2000#. In my opinion only, with running that trip force I don't need a ripper.

KIMG0025.JPG

Got rid of my ripper  probly 4 or 5 yrs ago. Never seemed to find the time to use it that also had correct soil conditions. When i ran it in to wet conditions i just made the compaction deeper instead of shattering/fracturing the soil

• Thanks 2

In our clay I say no. Just moved hard pan lower. The loan fill in the rips when it rains and over and over next thing got hard pan . Do a trench and you can see it ,layers are there root won’t go through  it for the water 

First thing you need to determine is what you are trying to accomplish and what problems are you trying to correct?  What are you using now? Do you have a compaction problem?

Disk rippers have their place but also have some drawbacks. If you use when wet can cause sidewall compaction from smearing. In dry conditions they do a good job, but if you use them year after year you will destroy your soil structure. If you have wet falls be prepared to play in the slop at harvest. Everyones area is different, some things that work here may not work there. Talk to your neighbors and see what is working for them. 

Long term goal should be to increase your soil health, once you do that alot of other problems correct themselves.

• Like 2

DMI used to call their rippers Yield-Till and maybe they did increase yields back then, but nowadays lots of farmers don't rip and get better yields than they did back then, so.....

Like most tillage implements it's just another tool in the box. Got to know when to pull it out. Haven't used mine in years. But it sure helped when I used it. 

Maybe.  It has its place.  I have done very little the past few years because of wet fall weather.  It doesn’t zero good when it’s wet in my opinion.  I do have some compacted areas that need addressed.  Hopefully this fall I am able to do that.

On marginal soil I like to put it in corn. then after harvest molebord  plow the residue,  then go back to no till.   seems to help alot around here  we have 8-10" of top soil then yellow clay