H puller build

KyleM

Considering building an H to pull with. Tired of seeing Oliver and Allis Chalmers dominate the lighter classes. Stock H’s power out around here. Would a simple 175 over bore do the trick? Or would I be better off just getting a block out of a 350?

33 minutes ago, KyleM said:

Considering building an H to pull with. Tired of seeing Oliver and Allis Chalmers dominate the lighter classes. Stock H’s power out around here. Would a simple 175 over bore do the trick? Or would I be better off just getting a block out of a 350?

Take sleeves out go to 3 7/8 m pistons works nice

On 10/18/2020 at 9:40 PM, Thesd5488 said:

Take sleeves out go to 3 7/8 m pistons works nice

3 9/16” is what you get on an H block by simply pulling the sleeves. Going bigger will require boring. 
I did this and added a 300 head, manifold and carb. Basically made a 300 out of it 169 cubes. It runs nice and is a lot of fun. 

Do you have a speed limitation in your class and what do you want weight at? My wife does fun pulls at shows with her H; it is about 4300 lbs with one set of weights and it will dig holes every time. It only has 12.4 tires but I have done the head gasket and it just has flat top pistons and still has the kerosene manifold and it pulled 31 hp on the belt dyno so guessing you could do the overbore kit with step head pistons and the 300 or 350 manifold and carb and get over 40 hp no problem. Again depends on what speed and weight you are trying to compete in, our antique pulls are pretty much stock.

33 minutes ago, KyleM said:

Yeah 3 1/2 mph. Want to do 4000 and 4500 classes. If it’d go down the track first gear and not run out of power I’d be happy. 

If you are pulling stock weight in first gear just a healthy rebuild with one of the new overbore kits with the step head aluminum pistons should be enough to not power out. My wife's is still original and I don't think it has ever powered out even on clay in a dead weight pull. Either pulls it or digs holes. Our closest show she does does pulls on a looser dirt so it digs easier and it is lugging but she still usually spins out up to 3rd gear. You will probably have about one or two sets of weights for that weight at which point just a good rebuild would spin out in first. I wouldn't drop a ton of money on fancy puller parts to pull first gear in stock antiques.

The only difference that would change probably based on how good the track hooks would be how good of tires you have on it and how big of a tire you go with. Like I say my wife's H is only on 12.4's so not real wide. If you went to a bigger tire it would probably be harder to spin out but again a good rebuild should make up for that compared to the kerosene manifold and stock bore and pistons in her H.