Waiting for him this morning

Good luck, shoot straight and get pictures for us. I saw one at 200+ yards yesterday I was looking for. Maybe tomorrow I will be closer. He went within 5 yards past the stand I wasn't in 

• Like 3

I know his not big for some of you guys but for around here he’s a nice one been coming in several times a night and day so I’ll going to stay a while 

11 minutes ago, bitty said:

Good luck, shoot straight and get pictures for us. I saw one at 200+ yards yesterday I was looking for. Maybe tomorrow I will be closer. He went within 5 yards past the stand I wasn't in 

You using a bow ?

Good luck!  The cooler weather here has had bucks on their feet. 

37 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

You using a bow ?

Crossbow. Archery season is on here. I used to have a compound bow but when I replaced it I went crossbow for economic reasons. Half of the cost and all the kids can use it instead of a bow for each kid they outgrown quickly. 

• Like 1
Just now, bitty said:

Crossbow. Archery season is on here. I used to have a compound bow but when I replaced it I went crossbow for economic reasons. Half of the cost and all the kids can use it instead of a bow for each kid they outgrown quickly. 

Half the cost? I just started looking at bow hunting equipment but haven’t really priced anything yet, but half the cost would/ should be a no- brainer on which direction to go,🤔

Just now, Ihfan4life said:

Half the cost? I just started looking at bow hunting equipment but haven’t really priced anything yet, but half the cost would/ should be a no- brainer on which direction to go,🤔

I bought a new Barnett head hunter crossbow in 2012 complete with everything including 4 bolts and the quiver . Bows start above that PLUS accessories including rest, sights etc. 

My view on Wednesday at 24 yards

Screenshot_2020-10-14-19-27-25.png

• Like 3

Hope you have a safe and successful hunt. Around here I have not been able to find any place to get a deer processed. Most are way behind on beef and pork so they are not doing deer. The one I have used for the past 35 years or more has closed up and moved operations to better location in town and just a store front and not doing any butchering at all. 

Last year we had several died from EHD or whatever disease they get so we have not seen very many since January. Looks like my deer hunting is over before I even get out of the house this year. Maybe next year.

• Sad 1

Crossbow is like anything else from what I see. You can spend as much as you want. 

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

Crossbow is like anything else from what I see. You can spend as much as you want. 

Yes you can. They can be quite expensive. This was a basic one that still drills the same hole everytime at 50 yards. If I had more time to practice and an extra grand I would like to have a new Matthews bow but I am lacking in both of those things . I have had to buy more bolts after lending it to my brother in-law ..... 

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, bitty said:

I bought a new Barnett head hunter crossbow in 2012 complete with everything including 4 bolts and the quiver . Bows start above that PLUS accessories including rest, sights etc. 

My view on Wednesday at 24 yards

Screenshot_2020-10-14-19-27-25.png

I have to look around and see what I really want to do. My trouble is taking the time to do any hunting 😞😱

We have an early muzzle load season, 3 days(?) at the end of this month so I’m going to dust that off and go out while the weather is nicer than the middle of December.

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

Yes you can. They can be quite expensive. This was a basic one that still drills the same hole everytime at 50 yards. If I had more time to practice and an extra grand I would like to have a new Matthews bow but I am lacking in both of those things . I have had to buy more bolts after lending it to my brother in-law ..... 

He needs to buy his own bolts! 

• Haha 1

I borrowed this one I’ll have one next year . I think this one was on clearance for $125 when buddy bought it last year , 50 yards dead on. 

image.jpg

Just now, Ihfan4life said:

He needs to buy his own bolts! 

He has his own setup now. Inlaws were totally against archery hunting. I indicated that with proper shot placement it's no different than rifle hunting. They have a crew now that archery hunt 

• Like 1

I used to be big into hunting. This time of year would be spent with every spare moment small game hunting, and hunted HARD in rifle deer season.  Never got into archery though.  Now, I dont think I've seriously hunted in almost 10 years.  Tough to find time, got tired of fighting with neighbors over deer who hunts who's ground, and as my uncle says "man, that warm bed is hard to leave to sit in the cold woods" lol.   Best of luck!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, 1965Dennis said:

Hope you have a safe and successful hunt. Around here I have not been able to find any place to get a deer processed. Most are way behind on beef and pork so they are not doing deer. The one I have used for the past 35 years or more has closed up and moved operations to better location in town and just a store front and not doing any butchering at all. 

Last year we had several died from EHD or whatever disease they get so we have not seen very many since January. Looks like my deer hunting is over before I even get out of the house this year. Maybe next year.

Do you happen to be in Tennessee  we are having the same issues with processors  and ehd?

• Sad 1

I am in southern Indiana, around I-65 and US-50. Talking with DNR people, sounds like this die off hit most every county in Indiana last year. Between a few neighbor farmers and a couple of deer hunters, we counted 32 dead deer within 6 or 7 mile radius of my place that we saw and took DNR people to examine. I have had trail cameras out since March, 2020. I usually will have times with several different deer and daily. This year I have pictures of 1 doe and her 2 fawns. And 1 picture about 10 days ago of a decent but young buck, one time. 

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I used to be big into hunting. This time of year would be spent with every spare moment small game hunting this time of year, and hunted HARD in rifle deer season.  Never got into archery though.  Now, I dont think I've seriously hunted in almost 10 years.  Tough to find time, got tired of fighting with neighbors over deer who hunts who's ground, and as my uncle says "man, that warm bed is hard to leave to sit in the cold woods" lol.   Best of luck!

Same here. Used to live for the fall and hunting season. Still go once in a while but haven't shot a deer in years now. Oldest boy likes it so I've kept going to be with him. He moved out of state this year though so don't know if I will go at all this year. Used to be we hunted somewhere else all the time. As I got older and had my own farm to take care of it seemed like I was just setting there thinking about what i needed to get done. Kind of a double edged sword having my own farm.  I can go right out behind the house but never enjoy myself cause something always need done. Same with fishing. I love going but haven't for several years now. 

6 hours ago, Tnfarmer said:

Do you happen to be in Tennessee  we are having the same issues with processors  and ehd?

EHD is better (in comparison) than CWD . Cwd will never go away, EHD the herd will usually recover in a few years. Both would stink but CWD is longer lasting

Buddy took this with a drone thats  my hunting house on bottom and my truck by pond nice picture but made me realize you have no real privacy now.

847FEAAD-DCA3-4B80-8CC4-9D3F4E19CFD6.jpeg

• Like 3
On 10/18/2020 at 6:45 AM, ky966boy said:

I know his not big for some of you guys but for around here he’s a nice one been coming in several times a night and day so I’ll going to stay a while 

That is a nice buck anywhere. Good luck and when you are the one that has been feeding him, the meat is sweeter still😊

Last night I hit the buck I was after. Shot placement looked good when it hit him, drizzle afterwards and then we lost the trail after being in the woods a bit. Had a kid with a tracking dog come today and we didn't get any further..

Hopefully he is still alive but I don't know what way to think about what the status is on him. I am not going to be going out much in the next few days but I have moved my cameras to try to get some idea if he is still walking. Lost lots of sleep last night , hopefully I get some tonight