Coyote in the Suburbs

This was taking right against Reading PA today by someone my dad works with.  (My dad is at retirement age but says he has no reason to retire).  He was bow hunting deer.  He said he didn't kill it with the first arrow and it was barking like a dog.  He started second guessing himself and thought maybe he did kill someones dog until he got a closer look at the thing.

I have only seen one once and that was at our old place.  Surely these things must be all over the place even if they aren't everywhere in large numbers.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

They adapt to anything better than rats do. They will clean out outside cat population in areas etc. 

• Like 2

They thrive in suburban areas. Foxes are the same way. I wasn’t in the burbs but I saw 5 coyotes sitting in a field together this morning which is more than Ive seen together in a long time. 

16 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

They thrive in suburban areas. Foxes are the same way. I wasn’t in the burbs but I saw 5 coyotes sitting in a field together this morning which is more than Ive seen together in a long time. 

A few years back there were reports of foxes seen around the local high school football field. The school complex is at the edge of town, there are houses and a large creek across the road to the north of the school and football field, houses to the east of the football field, the park and youth baseball fields across the road to the west and hospital to the south of the park, 4-H fairgrounds south of that.

We had a football game stopped near halftime for lightning which means everybody except those in the press box leave the field and seating areas. During the lightning break the foxes were seen frollicing out on the football field.

We had a lot of snowfall a few winters back where coyote sightings were common, we saw their tracks up and down the road, found scratches out by the grain bin and even had tracks in fresh snow one morning that came up to the front porch. Not uncommon to hear them yipping not too far from our place.

Interesting.  On what side of Reading was it taken?  I have friends in Brecknock Township and definitely could see a coyote taken in their area.  I'm heading up there tonight, so I'll ask if they know about this one.

Exeter township.  Please tread lightly.  I didn't have the hunters permission to post the pic.  My dad sent it to me because we were just talking about coyotes a few days prior.

My wife was living in Morristown, NJ, about 30 minutes outside of NYC. Had a coyote come running out of an alley one night when she was walking the dog.

We have seen several of them around Blue Marsh in the past, I have not heard of any sightings lately.

55 minutes ago, CC_Ranger said:

My wife was living in Morristown, NJ, about 30 minutes outside of NYC. Had a coyote come running out of an alley one night when she was walking the dog.

We have seen several of them around Blue Marsh in the past, I have not heard of any sightings lately.

Think I had said before we are by the state game lands and Blue Marsh.  Havent seen any yet.  My insurance guy thinks they could hassle our sheep.  I don't know about the full size ones but surely lambs would be an easy meal ticket. Right or wrong we put them in at night.  I have talked to others who raise sheep and they don't bother putting their animals in at night.

Interesting that they are a suburban area animal as much as in the wilds.  Kind of like white tail deer i guess.  The deer live from the mountains to the farms to the neighborhoods.

I showed the pic to my friend who lives between 625 and 10 and not far from 568.  He was impressed that one less is running around.  He said that there are several coyotes in his neighborhood.  We were sitting around his fire ring last evening and coincidentally heard two coyotes yelping just after sunset!  I asked him how far away they were (one was south of us and one to the west) and he said that both were less than a 1/4 mile.  My friend just put in some new fencing since he plans to add some sheep and a cow this coming year.  Needless to say isn't thrilled with coyotes nearby.  So far they have left his chickens alone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

I showed the pic to my friend who lives between 625 and 10 and not far from 568.  He was impressed that one less is running around.  He said that there are several coyotes in his neighborhood.  We were sitting around his fire ring last evening and coincidentally heard two coyotes yelping just after sunset!  I asked him how far away they were (one was south of us and one to the west) and he said that both were less than a 1/4 mile.  My friend just put in some new fencing since he plans to add some sheep and a cow this coming year.  Needless to say isn't thrilled with coyotes nearby.  So far they have left his chickens alone.

Rumors were that the game commission reintroduced them in the mountains years back and they have worked there way across the state from there.  Don't know if there is any truth to that though.

They are thick as fleas around hear and been around forever I have shot many open season hear. I leave them lay they stink so bad I don't like to get close to them. 

45 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Rumors were that the game commission reintroduced them in the mountains years back and they have worked there way across the state from there.  Don't know if there is any truth to that though.

I heard the same thing.  I want to say it was 20-25 years ago already.  True?  I have no idea.  I'm not a hunter but there seemed to be more anti-PAGC sentiment in those days.

One was seen at a former co-worker's farm near Blue Ball about five years ago.

Last place I lived in this area was a golf course community.  Large area with few people especially at night. 

Neighbor lady had her lapdog ripped off the leash when she was going for an afternoon  walk.  Fish and game live trapped over 20 coyotes over the next month.

Another neighbor was bitten by a FOX and had to go through the rabies series. when she attempted to pet it as it was eating food left out for the dog.

Moral of that story is wild animals are always wild even on the city street.

OK I am guilty of harboring wild animals because I leave out steak bones and such outside the yard fence.  They end up gone so it is probably a coyote I am feeding.

Possums are also common around here.

BUT the worst is a skunk, should be the state animal for California.  Seams like every night in the spring. A skunk would tangle with someones yard dog and stink up the neighborhood where we lived in NAPA CA. Prior to moving to TEXAS.  Haven't seen a SKUNK in this area in the last 20 years.