Who's(or what's)overhead?

https://www.flightradar24.com/39.77,-80.57/8

This is the neatest and handiest phone app out there. Pulls data from the aircrafts transponder. Tells you N number,aircraft type, owner (if commercial),altitude and speed. I wouldn't mind drones as much with this if they had transponders.

• Like 2

I have had that for a little over a year now. 

If I see a plane over head, I can pull up the app and see type of plane, where it came from and where it is going. 

We have used it to track Life Flight to an accident scene.

Can scroll literally around the world. 

Free but if you pay a little fee per month you can get a cockpit view of what the pilot is seeing (don't think real time but maybe uses google earth, not sure how it works) But I have got a cockpit view of my place from overhead as a plane flew over. 

Really fun app!!!

• Like 1

Have you figured out how to point your phone at a plane and pick up the transponder? All I use is the overhead map that shows all craft in the airspace. You click on the plane and it gives the details. I think the orientation is  off a little. Just had one flyover .I brought up the app and it showed thd plane about two miles further north!

40 minutes ago, exSW said:

Have you figured out how to point your phone at a plane and pick up the transponder? All I use is the overhead map that shows all craft in the airspace. You click on the plane and it gives the details. I think the orientation is  off a little. Just had one flyover .I brought up the app and it showed thd plane about two miles further north!

If you click AR in the upper left corner you can point it at a plane in the sky to see what it is.

• Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

If you click AR in the upper left corner you can point it at a plane in the sky to see what it is.

Apple or Android? I don't see it. But I only have the freebie version. 

Geez u guys, talking planes and transponders and apps to map over head flights, yesterday I bought an am/fm/wx noaa radio with a handcrank and I wuz really happy, sorta makes me feel like a model A guy in a corvette world.

• Haha 5

I discovered FlightRadar24 a couple years ago. I enjoy having it. And it came in real handy keeping tabs on my wife while she was flying overseas on university business. I used to have her get me the tail numbers of the planes she was flying on, but with FR24 I just need her flight number and it gives me her plane’s tail number and I can track her flights.

Her flying has been curtailed though ever since the Chink virus started. She has still been 

On 10/16/2020 at 6:40 PM, bitty said:

X2 

It can ruin your gauge by drying the passage with the syrup. Soak in water and clean later to get useable again

On 10/16/2020 at 9:17 AM, J-Mech said:

It's not big enough. If the entire fan was exposed it still might not pull fumes from the back of the muffler area, or a leak at the #6 port.

doing business overseas, via online real-time video-conferencing. This Chink virus is really bad for the airline industry. Many companies have been to doing more online business meetings these days and may continue to do so post Chink virus instead of flying. Bad news for airlines. 

That's a pretty cool site.  I have used Flightaware to look up flights for a number of years now but this is much cooler.  Cool to see a 747 go over my house and look it up and many times see it came from somewhere in Europe and is heading to Florida.  Been a few military planes lately overhead that do not appear on flightaware.

23 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Oohhh twilight zone, talking about planes was there a monster on the wing?

If you press the plus sign beside the quote you can go to another topic and do it on another page and they will all quote on the same thread .

Just my guess

14 minutes ago, bitty said:

If you press the plus sign beside the quote you can go to another topic and do it on another page and they will all quote on the same thread .

Just my guess

I see

7 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Oohhh twilight zone, talking about planes was there a monster on the wing?

The passenger on that Twilight Zone flight was a young William Shatner, later to become James T. Kirk on Star Trek.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bitty said:

Just my guess

Well I certainly didn’t do that! 

Crazy dam computers. 

14 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Geez u guys, talking planes and transponders and apps to map over head flights, yesterday I bought an am/fm/wx noaa radio with a handcrank and I wuz really happy, sorta makes me feel like a model A guy in a corvette world.

None of it is going to work after the first blast and you will need to have a pipe and pump diesel truck with a stick to get anywhere    

• Like 1
3 hours ago, New Englander said:

The passenger on that Twilight Zone flight was a young William Shatner, later to become James T. Kirk on Star Trek.

And he was freakin' out.

I have that app on my cell phone, had it for maybe two years.  Spend a lot of time looking at it, we live on a southwest approach to KCI, about 30 miles to the southwest, depending on what direction the wind is out of we usually have planes descending over our town to land at KCI.  I use the app on occasion to see where a particular plane descending over my home is flying in from.  They are usually about 10,000 feet over us as they approach to land.  I most always look up when I hear a plane overhead, especially if it is flying low.  Always was fascinated with airplanes.