Adjust the Band Brakes on a Farmall C

I wanted to drive tractor 5 miles in road gear to tractor show . But I thought about brakes cause of some very big hills on the the route. And one right pedal had 2 1/4 of free play . Better adjust it ,got out the IT manual . Said it was same procedure as others Hs,ms 4 ,6 and 9.

Supposed to have 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 free pedal. Neither pedals  were That they were more . Didn’t like the amount of reach from the seat with my leg length and seat setting on tool box. 
First thing I adjusted was the set screw A They say, of course it was rusty from age. I could not get the feel how much was as far as it will go or 1/2 turn or till drag is removed . 
Second thing was adjust the adjust free length by adjust length of brake rod. Well the adjustment rod was froze and map gas tech would not budge it . So I used the I used oxyacetylene torch , wrench and that got them freed up. Adjust the free length till free length was 1 1/2 . 
Got his all done and brakes are still dragging ,so I adjusted A set screw again finger tight, then backed off more than 1/2 turn. Still brake drag. So I got tired and quit have to redo with the wheels up I can turn by hand cause I’m do something wrong.  

Just take the little arm (2) off the spline (21) and turn it a spline or two backward and reassemble. Will that work?

image.thumb.png.e6d767342701bf67b00499d9b7255650.png

2 hours ago, KWRB said:

Just take the little arm (2) off the spline (21) and turn it a spline or two backward and reassemble. Will that work?

thank I took them both off cleaned the grease and dirt Out them  , cleaned with brake  cleaning . Put it back together and readjustment. Works 👍🏻 Great 

Very glad I did it cause the left side the brake lining on that brake band is almost to the rivets. So the lord was telling Me to look👀

• Like 1
18 hours ago, KWRB said:

What do you use to pull the lever band arm off ? I loosen nut and bolt 🔩 and tried to spread with die bar unsuccessfully. Too much paint and rust ,I think, , I did not what to heat it on tractor . And I didn’t want to put a lot of force on the stamp housing #31

I think there’s a place in Cleveland out buy airport ,Brook park, ? maybe that will reline  the brake bands for me . They did the e brakes on the corvette  very reasonable . 
I feel the bands are good in shape , and these guys can use the work. 
I think I will do them both . Plus I might also get a set from Steiner tractor ,only 30 per band that way I’ll have a spare to take to the farm and do the other C 

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

What do you use to pull the lever band arm off ? I loosen nut and bolt 🔩 and tried to spread with die bar unsuccessfully. Too much paint and rust ,I think, , I did not what to heat it on tractor . And I didn’t want to put a lot of force on the stamp housing #31

Honestly I can't remember. Gently knocking  clockwise and counterclockwise back and forth might break the spline free.

Look at #31? There is an adjustment bolt at the bottom of the cover.

That takes the slack out of the band and pushes it up close to the drum.

I believe, that you tighten that down snug and then back it off a turn.

I know it has to be backed off otherwise this adjustment will leave the band touching the drum and then it will drag.

It does make a difference.

I also think that is the 1st adjustment to be made.

It's been awhile since I adjusted the H.